SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#376010 - 11/22/13 07:34 AM A komplete step up from Tyros 5
Bachus Offline

Komplete 9 Ultimate information link

Its a whopping 370 Gb , but if anyone ever wants to create a software arranger that works, it should be build around this soundset, everything you ever wished for is in there. And if not samples and instruments can be easilly added.

Its as good as it gets for under $1000...

So if you wonder where Yamaha got the ensemble idea from, just watch the video, soundquallity is out of this earth.

(its not that the current arrangers fail at what they want to archieve, but there is allways more to wish for)

Edited by Bachus (11/22/13 07:35 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#376031 - 11/22/13 08:37 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus

Its a whopping 370 Gb , but if anyone ever wants to create a software arranger that works, it should be build around this soundset, everything you ever wished for is in there. And if not samples and instruments can be easilly added.

So if you wonder where Yamaha got the ensemble idea from, just watch the video, soundquallity is out of this earth.

(its not that the current arrangers fail at what they want to archieve, but there is allways more to wish for)

Great stuff but, who is gonna teach it to the masses the average player has no idea what all this stuff is including myself.. bounce

#376043 - 11/22/13 10:38 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: Bachus

Great stuff but, who is gonna teach it to the masses the average player has no idea what all this stuff is including myself.. bounce

Thats very true, maybe thats my burden, being an ict professional that happens to play arrangers and synths in his spare time.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#376046 - 11/22/13 11:07 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Dnj

It’s not quite as bad as it seems, pop over to Native Instruments and download the free Kontakt Players here and install it on your computer.
Pop over to ASIO4All and download the ASIO4all driver here and install it on your computer.
Connect the line output of your computer to the input of your keyboard
Connect the USB Midi cable from your keyboard to the computer
Run Kontakt 5 (It will be showing on the desktop) and follow the instructions to add the Yamaha for Midi In and ASIO4all for audio out. (You will only need to do it once)
Select Midi Out on your keyboard
Select a sound from the Kontakt 5 menu
You can now play any instrument loaded into Kontakt 5 with your right hand.
The more advanced stuff can come later

Bill

#376048 - 11/22/13 11:23 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: Bachus]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Bill, Donny doesn't have to go anywhere...he has MixCraft6...it was shipped with a dozen great VST's and the program is a great "wrapper"....He just has to widen his approach and try it for himself..

Once he plays the VB3, or Lounge Lizard..he will understand the short comings of the sounds he is use to..

I should add...I like many of the sounds I use on my G70...but when I play the MS using the Giga samples..like the Saxes, orchestral etc..I have to shake my head in the comparison...

Samples that are 1 gig in size are far superior to a 192mg library of sounds..

Edited by Fran Carango (11/22/13 11:27 AM)

#376163 - 11/23/13 01:53 PM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
Bill, Donny doesn't have to go anywhere...he has MixCraft6...it was shipped with a dozen great VST's and the program is a great "wrapper"....He just has to widen his approach and try it for himself..

Once he plays the VB3, or Lounge Lizard..he will understand the short comings of the sounds he is use to..

I should add...I like many of the sounds I use on my G70...but when I play the MS using the Giga samples..like the Saxes, orchestral etc..I have to shake my head in the comparison...

Samples that are 1 gig in size are far superior to a 192mg library of sounds..

Fran is correct the MIXCRAFT 6 program is awesome...
heres a free trial download.

http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/download.htm

#376189 - 11/23/13 04:40 PM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: Bachus]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The true test of a software sound library for arranger use is, can you substitute one sound with any other sound, and not have to do anything to it to have it sit right in the mix...

Most arrangers, you replace an acoustic piano with an electric one (a spur of the moment thing while you are playing, just for a change!) and there is no difference in volume. Replace one string sound with a synth pad, same volume... Etc., etc..

Replace one drum kit with another, same sounds on the same notes, roughly the same volume and dynamics.

This is something few sampled libraries bother with. You've got extensive work to do to balance things to the point where, if you call something up on the fly, it isn't going to jump out and bite you, or disappear into the mix.

Then you have the preset effects... same issue.

We've gone over the whole software sound banks/software or hardware arranger thing a bunch of times. So far, nobody has shown us anything that doesn't involve either serious compromise in what you can do on the spur of the moment (probably why you bought an arranger in the first place), or herculean work to set the software up to be as balanced and even as most arrangers are.

Most modern arrangers have thousands of sounds, dozens of drum kits, and they ALL sound great OOTB. You are going to have to do all that work yourself if you go with a software sound library...

Too much work for me, I'm afraid! Modern arrangers sound pretty damn good already - I'm not convinced the enormous amount of work to balance an entire software soundset is worth the gain in realism. If you just want a few sounds to expand the arranger's soundset, I guess it's OK, but if you want to replace the thousands that modern arrangers provide, better be prepared for a ton of work..!

#376232 - 11/24/13 02:30 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: Diki]
DAN.2000 Offline

Loc: FRANCE
The only problem with Native Instruments, is that you can't change sounds by sending a MIDI Bank/Program Change message.

Dan
https://www.varranger.com

#376236 - 11/24/13 03:09 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: Bachus]
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Diki,

That's absurd. No arranger or workstation OOTB is setup to change any sound on the fly and have it sit in the mix as you wish with no change in volume, fx, etc. You're dreaming if you think your Roland or any other keyboard does this. You may find some sounds can be changed without much difference, but most or all, utterly impossible. If that were the case you wouldn't even need to mix a songs various parts. Step into reality.

Setting up a VST on a Wersi is no herculean task nor is it difficult to switch sounds on the fly. The Wersi allows you to place VST sounds in program buttons as if they are part of the factory setup. You could go from VST to Factory sound to Akai sample or organ banks and never know which sound is being produced by which engine. Unless of course you checked. It's all pretty seemless.

Every synth, keyboard, arranger, fx device, or other studio gear I've owned I've tweaked to do what I want it to. To presume OOTB they're all going to conform to my needs would be ridiculous. What would be the point of programmability if these things were setup so perfectly from the factory?

I disagree that most keyboards today have great sounds and drumkits that come close to any great VST. Listen to BFD or East West Orchestra and Choirs and show me one keyboard from the big three that can match or rival those. You're not going to find any that come close. Hell, show me any arranger from the big three that rival my Fairlight CMI III drums and I'll be amazed. Sad when near 30 year old technology still makes modern TOTL arranger drums sound like crap.

Modern keyboards may offer more features and polyphony than their vintage counterparts, but sound quality is one thing that hasn't seemed to advance much in most arrangers compared to the best keyboards of 20 and 30 years ago.

#376238 - 11/24/13 03:45 AM Re: A komplete step up from Tyros 5 [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Good points Diki, however no one has ever said about replacing all the sounds in an arranger, just using VSTi to enhance what is already there. (Just the same as adding 3rd party samples)

Adding 3rd party samples will always require editing to match what is on-board (Even simple Akai samples) however once setup and saved (Which with the basic adjustments required does not take long) it becomes as if part of the instrument.

Drum Kits take a bit more work due to manufactures choosing different mappings, however all Drum VST make it easy to swap the mapping around to suit, (Much easier than on your typical arranger) so again not major.

The only users that would have problems adding VSTi would be those that only use the OOTB settings, those that tweak their arrangers to suit will take to it like a duck to water.

It’s only the fear of the unknown that puts people off, but once you get past this you are fine. (You should try it Diki, as when you get over your fear of using them with an arranger that has the VST Host fully integrated, you will wonder why you ever bothered trying to put people off)

As to modern arrangers, (From any manufacture) you’re always criticizing them in features and sounds, so they can’t be that good.

Bill

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online