SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#377511 - 12/08/13 12:44 PM Bose L1 Compact vs. JBL Eon 510
rosetree
Unregistered

I currently own two JBL Eon 510, which I have rarely used, as most of the gigs take place in smaller halls/rooms/churches so that my FBT Jolly 5 BA are sufficient.
A music store is currently offering the Bose L1 Compact for a good package price including a free Bose AE2 headphones, so I am pondering if I could try the L1 Compact and maybe sell my JBL Eon.
Can anybody compare these two systems? I guess the L1 Compact has not quite the power of the JBL, but I don't really need the full 2 x 280W RMS. What about the missing stereo effect if you only use one L1 Compact? Thanks for any comments.

#377517 - 12/08/13 01:30 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact vs. JBL Eon 510 [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
I currently own two JBL Eon 510, which I have rarely used, as most of the gigs take place in smaller halls/rooms/churches so that my FBT Jolly 5 BA are sufficient.
A music store is currently offering the Bose L1 Compact for a good package price including a free Bose AE2 headphones, so I am pondering if I could try the L1 Compact and maybe sell my JBL Eon.
Can anybody compare these two systems? I guess the L1 Compact has not quite the power of the JBL, but I don't really need the full 2 x 280W RMS. What about the missing stereo effect if you only use one L1 Compact? Thanks for any comments.

dont you mean buy Two L1 systems for stereo? or you going mono? confused1

#377520 - 12/08/13 01:40 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact vs. JBL Eon 510 [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

I think Bose conceived this system as a mono system; they argue that from most points in the audience a stereo effect wouldn't be noticeable anyway. So I would only plan for one single L1 compact, but I fear I would miss the stereo. I'd like to get your opinions on a) the power and sound of the system and b) whether a mono system is worth considering at all. (Buying two of them is no option for me at present).

Edited by rosetree (12/08/13 01:44 PM)

#377524 - 12/08/13 02:12 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact vs. JBL Eon 510 [Re: ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Rosetree, before you ditch the Eons, give the Bose a try. Bose has a great return policy and most of the stores that sell Bose systems have the same return policy. Essentially, if you and your audiences don't like what you hear, you have up to 45 days to return the system for a full refund - no questions asked. IMO, that's the best deal on the planet.

And, as far as mono/VS stereo, there have numerous discussions on this and other forums. I think Bose is right, but again, that's just MY opinion.

BTW: I've been using the Bose L1 Compact since they first became available - I love it!. I have a pair of systems, but the only time I use the second is when the audience size exceeds 150 people, which any more is rare. With a pair of them, I can do audiences in excess of 300 with plenty of headroom to spare.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#377529 - 12/08/13 02:39 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact vs. JBL Eon 510 [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I would definitely try out the BOSE before getting rid of the JBLs ...
Last night a worked a gig for another OMB ... he has a steady Fri/Sat gig and leaves a lot of his equipment there, including a BOSE L1 with the sub ... I have used this system several times with my technics KN6000 and it sounded AWESOME ... last night with the KORG Pa600 the piano sounded 'thin' and 'tinny' ... I was going through his mixer as well, so I was able to make some adjustments, but if I used that BOSE as my system, I would have to really make some EQ adjustments ...
of course the other attributes of the BOSE - the ability to cover a long, thin room jammed with people - shown through and overall the gig was good ...

#377538 - 12/08/13 04:31 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact vs. JBL Eon 510 [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Thanks a lot so far. I'll definitely keep the JBL Eon until I've tested the L1 thoroughly.

#377540 - 12/08/13 05:15 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact vs. JBL Eon 510 [Re: ]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Rosetree,
I have been using Bose speakers, L1 Mod 1 and now the Bose L1 Compact, and would not think of using anything else. Here are my reasons:
1. Sound dispersion none others can match
2. Very Light Weight
3. Very Easy To Setup
4. Quality Quality Quality
5. Oh Yes, They sound great too.

As for Stereo - Don't believe it for live gigging. The only person to actually hear the Stereo effect is you. I sold one of my Bose compacts and have used only one for over a year - doesn't make a bit of difference to the audiences. Now if you got money to waste or just have to have stereo for your own enjoyment - buy two.

I have no experience with the other speakers you mentioned so can't comment on them.

Deane

#377545 - 12/08/13 07:14 PM Re: Bose L1 Compact vs. JBL Eon 510 [Re: ]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
I have speakers that fit a lot of different situations... A pair of Yamaha DXR10 speakers. I run in stereo only for me. In most set ups, I put the DXR10s behind me on the floor and spread them out. Full range sound... Not too heavy... High quality, stereo sound (If I want it.)

Normally they sell for $1200 for a pair plus cases... I got a great deal on a pair of c-stock speakers and got 2200 watts, stereo or mono for less money than one Bose compact!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#377568 - 12/09/13 05:59 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact vs. JBL Eon 510 [Re: shueymusic]
rosetree
Unregistered

Yes, a local music store recommended the DXR series to me, they are really extremely powerful. However, I think I would need a pair of them, so the weight would be over 27 kg (around 60 pounds), which I try to avoid as the venues I play are quite small.

#377570 - 12/09/13 06:14 AM Re: Bose L1 Compact vs. JBL Eon 510 [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

LOVE My DXR12's awesome sound.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online