SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#380992 - 01/09/14 08:06 AM Tyros 5 v. Tyros 4
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
This is for the new Tyros 5 owners. Just wondering if you are feeling the same thing as I do let say that the T 5 is awesome. But I am have a little trouble adjusting to the sound it is good and different It feel so direct that it feels like it looses a little of it overall fullness coming from the T 4 and it sound I find my self struggling a bit here

The overall mix exp on midi files seems too dry to me the sound is very direct I have used it for 4 shows and at lower volume it seems to feel a little thiner the the T 4. Over all now I know I can adjust it. But I might just end to get used to it. My audience seems to not notice much I asked one of the bartenders last night he said he noticed something different. But he said different in a good way .

I have used the T 4 for 3 years so I have gotten used to the sound So I might just need to try to get used to it.

The T 4 seem to have more reverb and sometimes too much the T 5 seems to have gone a different direction and less effect and a more crisp sound that gives me the feel of a little thiner sound over all. Any suggestions. Mostly on midi files maybe it is a EQ thing both are set to flat.

#380998 - 01/09/14 08:54 AM Re: Tyros 5 v. Tyros 4 [Re: musicforyourday]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Going by the on-line Tyros5 demos vs my own Tyros4 experience, I find the latter has a warmer more mellow sound...which I prefer.

I will get an opportunity to play a Tyros5-76 in a week or so, as I'm doing an in-home clinic/tutorial with a new owner. He has the same speaker system I use, which is a pair of Yamaha MS-60S powered monitors, so the comparison should be fair. I will duplicate master EQ settings as well, as part of the comparison.

I'm not much of a fan of dry sound...I love reverbs, delays and chorus on most of my sounds, but with an ear towards restraint on some of them. Synth sounds, especially solo mini-Moog types, really perk up a lot with effects.

Even the old Leslie 147RV's I used years ago were bought because of the on-board reverb.

One big advantage of the Tyros5 is that those who don't want any (or very little) effects are sure to be pleased, and you can always add what you want...with the T4 you can only remove so much.

Ian

#381002 - 01/09/14 09:50 AM Re: Tyros 5 v. Tyros 4 [Re: ianmcnll]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
Reverb is a big improvment from T4 too T5.It is more natural and much higher quality then before.Which makes the whole thing sound much more natural.It also depends where do people play too.All that reverb on drums doesn't seem too much when you play home ,but once you go out live on a big system it sounds terible.Like from the well.
I will never understand this and it goes with all manufactures.
You probably have to get used too more natural sound of the keyboard.Reverb and delay should compliment the sound, not be the sound.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#381007 - 01/09/14 10:53 AM Re: Tyros 5 v. Tyros 4 [Re: musicforyourday]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'm going with Ian on this one, I don't like dry sound - it's just not natural. When you're performing with a band in a large hall, the sound bounces around like a ping-pong ball, thus the walls, ceiling, floors windows, naturally all produce some reverb, echo and delay. So why would you want your arranger keyboard to sound as if you were in a soundproof room - it would not be natural at all. Even when performing outdoors, there is some echo, reverberation and delay, sound bouncing from objects near and far.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#381009 - 01/09/14 11:21 AM Re: Tyros 5 v. Tyros 4 [Re: musicforyourday]
ianmcnll Offline

To me reverb and other effects are like spices one adds to a recipe...some dishes need very little, some need more, some are actually based on the spice's flavor.

If I'm doing a tune using a small jazz combo style, I tend to ease off on certain effects, especially if I'm trying to simulate a small nightclub setting with carpets and drapes and a low ceiling.

For a lot of my synth and guitar solos the effects are more an integral part of the overall sound than just enhancing it.

I try to think of the environment or venue the tune is being played in and work from there.

Of course, if you are playing in a big hall with lots of echo, reverb would be hardly needed.

Again it's like adding spices or seasoning...know when enough is enough.

Ian

#381010 - 01/09/14 11:23 AM Re: Tyros 5 v. Tyros 4 [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I'm going with Ian on this one, I don't like dry sound - it's just not natural. When you're performing with a band in a large hall, the sound bounces around like a ping-pong ball, thus the walls, ceiling, floors windows, naturally all produce some reverb, echo and delay. So why would you want your arranger keyboard to sound as if you were in a soundproof room - it would not be natural at all. Even when performing outdoors, there is some echo, reverberation and delay, sound bouncing from objects near and far.

Gary cool

With a little edditing you can make the T5 sound almost like aT4
With no edditing in the world you can make a T4 like a T5..

Its simple you can not create whats not there, but you can allways hide what is there..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#381012 - 01/09/14 12:27 PM Re: Tyros 5 v. Tyros 4 [Re: travlin'easy]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

Gary cool

To me this doesn't sound logical. The 'natural' reverb comes from the room (or outdoor environment) you are in - exactly as you describe for the band situation. So, if you play the arranger, you also have the natural reverb created by the room. Why add additional reverb from the sound processor? It wouldn't sound like a soundproof, sterile room anyway. It's different with recording via cable: THEN you really need reverb to simulate a room.
The whole thing also depends on whether the individual sample already has some reverb included or not.
It's also a difference if you have a small or large instrumentaion. For symphony orchestra, you expect it to play in a large hall, then of course it's adequate to simulate a bigger hall than the one you're playing in (but to me that's already an artificial effect).

Edited by rosetree (01/09/14 12:28 PM)

#381013 - 01/09/14 12:29 PM Re: Tyros 5 v. Tyros 4 [Re: musicforyourday]
ianmcnll Offline

It's also important if you are happy (or not) with the way the instrument sounds out of box.

I was very pleased with the Tyros4's sound right away, and editing effects (and effects in styles) have only served to make it sound even better.

Ian

#381014 - 01/09/14 12:34 PM Re: Tyros 5 v. Tyros 4 [Re: musicforyourday]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I have to be aware of too much reverb in certain venues, because I record via line out from my mixer or keyboard, and it generally needs a little reverb to sound right. However the room I'm in may not need as much for good live sound.
It's all easily corrected, but you have to be aware and LISTEN to your sound.

#381015 - 01/09/14 12:34 PM Re: Tyros 5 v. Tyros 4 [Re: ]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree

The whole thing also depends on whether the individual sample already has some reverb included or not.

It also depends on how much reverb is inherent in the sample. For me, it was never an issue as the amount is generally minute.

It only matters if you want the sound totally dry, with no effect at all.

Obviously for some it may be an issue...it wasn't in my case.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online