SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#381788 - 01/18/14 10:31 AM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I was about to ask if you had tried the roland CM30. I like the stereo link function that it offers and look what I found.

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/222293/Tried_the_Mackie_SM_150_and_th

Do you agree?

#381791 - 01/18/14 10:38 AM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
I was about to ask if you had tried the roland CM30. I like the stereo link function that it offers and look what I found.

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/222293/Tried_the_Mackie_SM_150_and_th

Do you agree?

I had two CM30's a while back...I liked them initially but sadly down the road they didnt work for my needs.... frown

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/206202/Cassp_hows_the_Roland_CM30_so_

Edited by Dnj (01/18/14 10:49 AM)

#381797 - 01/18/14 11:26 AM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

while searching the store I noticed a Pa800 on top of a Tyros 2 ......which was nice, it wasn't there 2 weeks ago...it did have OS1.51 too....right next to the KB's there was a ROLAND CM30 cube monitor.
http://www.roland.com/products/en/CM-30/index.html

This unit was another item Ive been wanting to demo after I have discussing it with Cass who has been very happy with the sound, & after plugging in to one in the store with the pa800 I can certainly see why! It really has a robust full spectrum sound, I was quite surprised, I also had the sales man bring out a Mackie 150 which is another unit I wanted to check out too.....well let me tell you there is no comparison sound wise it was like
Night & Day....the CM30 really sounds good and full, I tried several different selections of styles thru them & it really showed no sign of breaking up but instead exhibited only a nice TIGHT bass projection & with the dual cone speaker the highs really stood out with nice coverage all out of this tiny package. On the other hand the Mackie 150 although crisp and clean sounding could compete with the full bodied sound of the CM30. I would say the that the Mackie would be very satisfactory in an acoustic Guitar/Vocal scenario for sure as it was intended....but lacked the diversity of a full frequency sound required for Arranger Keyboards & Vocals. The Cm 30 could easily cover a small venue gig, NH, Cocktail hour, Small restaurant diner job....& having on-board speakers will only add to the coverage. Dont be fooled by the "NUMBERS" game manufacturers play
30 watts vs 150 etc etc ....its all how its allocated and I dont know about you but My ears are the best judge. I would urge you to go try one and see for your self.....if your in need of a nice SMALL amp for those certain gigs Roland has done it again for sure with the CM30.....using Two in stereo would be a beautiful thing also for sure
I bought one & took it home

These are your words and you go on in the thread to really promote the CM30.
Just curious, what changed your mind?

#381799 - 01/18/14 11:42 AM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
These are your words and you go on in the thread to really promote the CM30.
Just curious, what changed your mind?

Bill I always get enthusiastic with new gear....but my grueling gig scheduled will be the real test and sometimes it takes a few weeks to realize a piece of gear isn't going to work for my needs & you made a mistake buying it,..it has happened many times as with the BOSE systems L1 & Compacts I had also, & many other PA systems,...and not with just speakers. Maybe I hear things others don't, but I know what is right for me .....as I recall the CM30's would break up sometimes and just didn't deliver in the sonic range I wanted for my strong vocals and arranger instruments solos, etc,... they are quality built as all Roland gear that I have performed with but the CM30's for me didn't cut the mustard if you get my drift. wink no problem i just keep moving on...take care.

#381803 - 01/18/14 12:03 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Logitech Z2300, perfect for NH jobs.

Tom

#381805 - 01/18/14 12:09 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

New buyer enthusiasm, I can appreciate that. As you said, working with something for awhile is the real test.

Back when I was changing boards a lot it took me a good 6 months of steady gigs to feel comfortable with a new keyboard.

#381806 - 01/18/14 12:15 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
rosetree
Unregistered

FBT Jolly 5 BA are absolutely incredible, 7 pounds and 80 W RMS per speaker, I haven't ever had more efficient speakers. And they do have warm upper bass frequencies. The Mackie is stated to start from 100 Hz, the FBT from 80 Hz. I have accompanied a classic soloist for operettas using symphonic sounds (strings, woodwinds, french horns, piano) with these speakers alone for an audience of 50 people, absolutely clear, warm and loud.
Now, the successive model has been released, FBT J5A.

#381807 - 01/18/14 12:19 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
No problem, Donny. Glad they worked out for you.

You and I must have a VERY different idea of 'flat' though!

#381813 - 01/18/14 12:58 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, what ever happened to your HK Nano system? I thought that was gonna solve all those problems for you. And, no one mentioned anything about Donny buying a Bose - we all know he doesn't like them, even though he's in the tiny minority. Donny tends to change gear more often than most folks change their underwear - ever notice that. I'm absolutely amazed he still has the S-950 after nearly a year - A NEW RECORD! clap clap clap woot party

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#381816 - 01/18/14 01:03 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: travlin'easy]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Donny, what ever happened to your HK Nano system? I thought that was gonna solve all those problems for you. And, no one mentioned anything about Donny buying a Bose - we all know he doesn't like them, even though he's in the tiny minority. Donny tends to change gear more often than most folks change their underwear - ever notice that. I'm absolutely amazed he still has the S-950 after nearly a year - A NEW RECORD! clap clap clap woot party

Gary cool

That's funny - I just decided to buy a HK Lucas Nano for medium-sized gigs for which I need a little deeper bass. So I'm also interested: what are your experiences with the HK Lucas Nano?? Reviews at thomann.de are very positive.

Edited by rosetree (01/18/14 01:04 PM)

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online