SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#382057 - 01/20/14 09:59 AM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
On the whole, I have a feeling the Nano's do a better job of being flat for a quiet gig than the SRM's. Not even a whole lot more expensive (a pair of SRM's will cost you about $500, plus stands), FAR better at the low end and top end.

Donny, if you still had the Nano's, would you still preferred to go out on the low volume gig with the SRM150's?

Diki ...the Nanos are way overkill for what I do with 1
SRM 150 so convenient to use. ..... the Nano is great for small 25-7pp gigs, versatile too...but a bit of a pain to set up.. for my needs one or two DXR12's cover just about any room I perform at 100-400pp....anything bigger I just borrow a sub. for that gig.

#382061 - 01/20/14 11:04 AM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
You can leave the Nano's little speakers attached if you want a simpler setup, right? Same mono you'd get from just one SRM..

How did you set up the SRM? On a stand? I just don't see what is less complicated about the SRM than a Nano.

I guess, for me, I don't want three or four different systems. Something small enough to cover small rooms, one for big rooms. Done and done!

But I'd like enough bottom that, if things get frisky at the party (you never know!) I got the lows covered, and the SRM's simply can't do that. I am afraid I've never even been tempted to use my SRM150's for FOH, and I've had them years!

But a pair of them will keep up with almost the loudest drummers and bands! However, for stage monitoring, you don't WANT those lows!

I guess, it all depends on what you get used to... I don't use arrangers with built in speakers, so I've never really got used to that type of sound. I imagine the SRM's are in the same ballpark, simply louder! What I'm surprised at is, everyone says how good the S950's built-ins are, why, for a really small event, do you need anything more?

#382064 - 01/20/14 11:52 AM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Diki, the built-in speakers actually have great bottom end, at last Yamaha does - don't know about the others, though.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#382065 - 01/20/14 12:11 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Only problem with using most on-board speakers is that they are facing mainly towards, and intended for, the player.

I most always took a small stereo system with me...usually my MS-60S.

For the sake of a few minutes more setup, it was worth it, in my opinion (and experience).

The PSR-S950/S750 do have a nice full sound, nonetheless, the speaker system being new to these models, and for personal use they lack nothing.

Ian

#382075 - 01/20/14 01:18 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Mackie SRM 150 GIG #2 done!! and this time I put it on the MIC stand using the supplied adapter,....I couldn't ask for better in this small room situation with 18 pp today,....with a little EQ on my KB to boost low/high it really filled the room clear as day with music and crystal clear vocals,....

#382086 - 01/20/14 04:54 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Good enough for me. One on order!

Donny, I thought of putting it on a low mic stand in front of the keyboard. Where did you position yours?

#382110 - 01/21/14 07:52 AM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
rosetree
Unregistered

BTW, Genelec is releasing a new mini studio monitor, the 8010. It looks like a twin model of the 6010, but has the double wattage. This is no model for the stage of course, but I had a pair of 6010 for a while, which was loud enough to accompany a soloist in small churches. The sound quality is really suberb, the best 2.0 computer speakers I know - the 8010 will even be better.

#382137 - 01/21/14 10:25 AM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: PraiseTheLord]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: PraiseTheLord
Good enough for me. One on order!

Donny, I thought of putting it on a low mic stand in front of the keyboard. Where did you position yours?

Hi Graham,....putting in front of your KB will hinder your personal monitoring by you being behind, instead I put the SRM150 for this gig on a low mic stand using the included adapter 3 feet to the left of me parallel to my ear so I can hear both speaker & the KB the default tilt angle is perfect also,...I'm seriously thinking of getting another one also for certain situations. headphone Good luck with yours. I keep the master and channel 1 vol both at o'clock & use the line input button OUT,.

Edited by Dnj (01/21/14 10:26 AM)

#382152 - 01/21/14 12:15 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Gary, on the whole, I'm afraid we play and do such utterly different approaches, I can't honestly take any recommendation you give. For YOU, that built-in on the S950 might be great low end. For me, it has no depth, no projection.

But the vast majority of my gigs are probably MUCH louder than yours, and built-ins can even BEGIN to compete with a sub and satellite system. I have had a PSR S950 at my house, played it through its built-ins, then through my studio monitors. Night and day!

You play very softly, sing very softly, and play music that is at least a generation older than most of my playlist. I'm afraid what works for you is simply not going to work for me (or many of us here still playing at volume).

#382153 - 01/21/14 12:15 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Donny, do you have a small powered sub? Try that with the SRM150 at home, see if it isn't better...

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online