SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#382174 - 01/21/14 01:00 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: ianmcnll]
Dnj Offline

rotf2

Attachments
Fran S900.jpg

Edited by Dnj (01/21/14 01:01 PM)

#382175 - 01/21/14 01:00 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
No, Fran. I just turned the sub volume down when it sounded overwhelming. Sometimes it was just the style itself that produced the problem, and I lowered it with the keyboard.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#382176 - 01/21/14 01:04 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hey, I always liked Yamaha sound systems...and Yes..I like the Tyros4 too.....I just can't use them "for my needs" smile

#382193 - 01/21/14 02:24 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
In the smaller, more intimate settings ... like house parties, cocktail receptions, where you would only be making about as much sound as an acoustic piano ... you don't need lots of bass. You're not doing a dance thing, and you're providing background music for listening and to promote, and enhance conversation. (adding elegance to the affair) In this scenario - the music is just icing ... "musical wallpaper" to add beauty and energy. Years ago, when a piano was the go-to choice for these parties ... the instrument often faced the wall, so the player didn't even make eye contact with the audience. It was strictly a voice "in the room" and not a show.

With today's arrangers ... the sound that comes from the internal system is very often full range ... at a certain volume. All you need to do to fill a little more area is push a bit more air into the room. The midrange is where the vocals and melodies usually lie, so that little Mackie should do great. If Donny gets a second unit, and starts pumping even more sound out .... I fear that he'll miss the full range of sound and actually take a step backwards. If space and volume are the priority ... I sometimes just add a bass amp for fullness. Since I use the Bose compact for my main work ... the smallest situations are still in it's repertoire by simply not extending the poles. Sometimes, I even take the top speaker OUT of the enclosure ... just to add a touch of bass. The KB speakers handle the rest. If the room needs more ... I just put the poles in and add the top speaker - back in business at full strength. Remember, the most important element of the ensemble (my voice) is still facing the crowd and projecting at a pretty strong volume on it's own.

I've been on virtually every size stage I can imagine, from the Academy of Music to Veterans Stadium and everything in between. I've learned to recognize when the "performance" is priority and when the "performer" is. HUGE difference, and for the latter .... sometimes, teeny, tiny coverage is all you need. Some of my favorite memories are parties in someone's house or office that would have been compromised greatly by setting up a large speaker on a pole. The visual is important too. Some party planners are so fussy that they drape my speakers, make me face them to the rear, or even cover over logos and names that are printed on things. It's a competitive world, and unless it's YOUR party - we can't always decide what's best for the room. We are still in the service industry, and our job is to provide WHAT'S NEEDED. For some situations ... what's needed is just a tiny bit more to fill up the dead spaces.

#382194 - 01/21/14 02:31 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
And, now you know why Uncle Dave is among my many heroes on this forum. smile clap clap clap

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#382199 - 01/21/14 02:57 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Shux, Gary ... you make me blush.
smile

#382269 - 01/22/14 12:07 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Trouble is, you start buying different gear for each and every different application, you end up with a ton of gear you use quite seldom...

I'm looking for basically TWO PA's... I already have a big loud system, Mackie SWA1501 powered sub, two Yamaha 15" and horn passive cabs and a Yamaha 2X1000W powered mixer. Covers all but the largest outdoor gigs no problems, full band, you name it.

Now I want ONE more system, to cover everything smaller. I want stereo, and I want decently flat, so my setups into the big flat system sound the same into a SMALL flat system.

SRM150, even two of them, simply can't do that... maybe a powered sub added would be OK, but there's little with the size I want that would work well with the SRM150's, and they don't all clamp together and will be much tougher to move around quickly, compared to the Nano system.

Thing is, I am hearing a lot about VOLUME from these tiny built-ins or Donny's single SRM150 idea, but little about them being flat. Just think in terms of a decent home stereo. OK, you can turn it up, you can turn it down... But the BALANCE doesn't change. You go from a full sub and speakers big PA to the built-ins on any arranger, or something designed for vocals like the SRM, and not only the volume, but the BALANCE changes radically too.

Most of us, when we turn down the volume of our home stereo's, we don't turn down the lows radically as well, and boost the mids a bit! We just turn it down.

I think that's what I'm looking for. I think that's what my clients want. Now, were I to turn up with a middle-y little speaker, maybe they wouldn't complain, but personally, I think they deserve better. And don't forget the pickiest listener in the room!
Me... headphone

#382271 - 01/22/14 12:22 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

diki are you playing for 10 pp in a nursing facility lately?...
just sayin....and why do you start most of your replies with "trouble is"....when there ain't NO trouble at all?

#382283 - 01/22/14 01:23 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Trouble starts when you want the same sound out of different gear. If you and your audience are fine with a completely different sound using different gear, no problem at all..!

And no, I am doing my level best to make sure I NEVER end up playing to 10 people in a NH unit!

The thing about this whole issue that strikes me is, the entire Nano system can be carried with one hand, and doesn't need to be unhooked if all you want is small, low volume mono reproduction for a small gig. But it CAN be unhooked, set up for stereo, and able to be flat at a MUCH higher volume should you want it. Double duty from the same piece of gear. And a much fuller, flatter sound at ANY volume.

It is always SO hard to take your recommendations to heart, Donny, as you go through this ever revolving door of different gear, and tend to only gush about what you currently have, no matter how short your time with it. Tell the truth, Donny... If you had still had the Nano system (and I fail to see how you can give such a glowing recommendation about something you sold!), and could pick up the Nano or the SRM as you went out the door, which would you have taken?

To be frank, if you had chosen the SRM, I would be concerned about whether you would pick convenience for you (and only a very slight convenience, at that) over good quality sound for your audience...

#382291 - 01/22/14 01:43 PM Re: Todays Maiden Voyage with Mackie SRM 150 [Re: Diki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Diki
And no, I am doing my level best to make sure I NEVER end up playing to 10 people in a NH unit!

there you go again diki putting down what other successful performers do out in the real world making a living as an entertainer....I couldn't or wouldn't give too hoots what YOU think as I am successful and happy doing it my way, and obviously so do all my clients years after year......and it's amazing all this without YOUR guidance wink What I use & how I use it is no concern of yours, why does it bother you so much?...
I tried the nanos...didnt suit me, ...dumped it,...big deal,...nothing is permanent, I like it, it stays....I dont down the road it goes bye bye,.. I might like it in the beginning ....but later on dislike it for who knows why..
so what?and guess what?.....I'll be doing that for a long time coming and still be successful cool2 .....now let me finish my homemade chicken soup...carry on.

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online