SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#381980 - 01/19/14 05:02 PM Using S950 Multipads & Vocoder for backing vocals
Dnj Offline

#382023 - 01/20/14 07:57 AM Re: Using S950 Multipads & Vocoder for backing vocals [Re: Dnj]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
that is cool Donny I have been using the M pads for voc for a while I even like the stock voc sounds I use them once in a while with a song/ Midi file it give a new sound to the file and if you bring back in the mix it works very well try it put the m pad on in a midi file bring the voc sound back in mix around 50 to 60 and then play your sound it fill it up well not to over use but once in a while it works well.

RJ

#382026 - 01/20/14 08:01 AM Re: Using S950 Multipads & Vocoder for backing vocals [Re: musicforyourday]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: musicforyourday
that is cool Donny I have been using the M pads for voc for a while I even like the stock voc sounds I use them once in a while with a song/ Midi file it give a new sound to the file and if you bring back in the mix it works very well try it put the m pad on in a midi file bring the voc sound back in mix around 50 to 60 and then play your sound it fill it up well not to over use but once in a while it works well.

RJ

I have never tried this ...but does the S950 do this also? confused1

#382032 - 01/20/14 08:24 AM Re: Using S950 Multipads & Vocoder for backing vocals [Re: Dnj]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I am not sure I use the voc section asigned to multi pad section during the song playback I press the 1-4 buttons and the voc section lines up with the midi file very well on T4 and T 5 I am not sure on S 950 you can prob do it with the sounds from the S 950 T4 has it already programed to do automatic you can prob write it to do it it work very well on T 4

Edited by musicforyourday (01/20/14 08:25 AM)

#382033 - 01/20/14 08:32 AM Re: Using S950 Multipads & Vocoder for backing vocals [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You can do this with the S-950 - look on page 71 of the user manual.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#382034 - 01/20/14 08:37 AM Re: Using S950 Multipads & Vocoder for backing vocals [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
You can do this with the S-950 - look on page 71 of the user manual.

Gary cool

Gary I am talking about recording your own vocals parts and assigning them to a multipad? confused1

#382041 - 01/20/14 08:49 AM Re: Using S950 Multipads & Vocoder for backing vocals [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'll have to bring in the keyboard and try in out when I get a chance. No reason you can't because the keyboard record's .wav format. Keep in mind, though, that the keyboard cannot utilize the Chord Follow feature when using recorded .wav files as multi-pads. Therefore, you would have to be somewhat judicious when using them.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (01/20/14 08:50 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#382042 - 01/20/14 08:51 AM Re: Using S950 Multipads & Vocoder for backing vocals [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I'll have to bring in the keyboard and try in out when I get a chance. No reason you can't because the keyboard record's .wav format. Keep in mind, though, that the keyboard cannot utilize the Chord Follow feature when using recorded .wav files as multi-pads. Therefore, you would have to be somewhat judicious when using them.

Gary cool

Hmmmmmmmm thats not good for what I was thinking of doing?? But the T4/T5 allows this?

Edited by Dnj (01/20/14 08:52 AM)

#382055 - 01/20/14 09:38 AM Re: Using S950 Multipads & Vocoder for backing vocals [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
All the audio on multipads do is play back a .WAV file. Think of it as an MP3 backing track you can trigger when you want it. It doesn't chord follow, it doesn't transpose (or maybe it does? someone clear this up?), I'm not even sure (if I've read user comments correctly) that it will auto-cue to the 'one', and it doesn't loop...

But, in the context that this video shows, it works well on a Songstyle type basis. In other words, for this ONE song, it works. Then you make different vocal .WAV's for different songs.

However, for me, it seems SO close to simply playing along with an MP3, I'm not sure the extra effort to manually trigger the phrases when you want them often pays off. Particularly when tied into the risk of triggering them on the wrong beat, and ruining it.

Roland seem to have a FAR better implemented version of this kind of thing on the BK-9. For starters, the audio locks to the arranger's tempo, and key, so if the audio needs to be dropped a half step or two, or sped up a bit, the audio tracks it. Then, Roland have set it up so that audio can trigger the moment you hit the switch/key (you can trigger the SEVEN loops from either the top 7 keys above top C, or the FC-7 f/sw pedal), or it can be cued (like an Intro or Ending) in the bar before, and will start dead on the 'one' in perfect sync with the arranger.

But the icing on the cake is, the BK-9 allows you to choose between one-shot playback OR the audio will loop as long as you want (either until you hit the key/sw again to stop it or you select a different loop).

This, to be frank, is what you really NEED... everything else is just a gimmick.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not crowing about Roland's superiority over Yamaha in this feature's regard. I am just pointing out what the feature NEEDS to be useful. And I would be happy for all the Yamaha users if they simply copied Roland's approach and made the audio multipads more useful for you all...

But right now, user audio triggered to go along with arranger play is something of a bad kludge on Yamaha's. You CAN do stuff like this video, but the thing you are much more likely to want to use it for on a day to day basis, flying in percussion and drumming loops, breakbeats, arpeggiator figures, stuff like that, the lack of the cueing and looping parameters really reduce it to more gimmicky things.

I hope you guys take this the right way, and start to get a hold of Yamaha and ask for the idea (which is cool) to be upgraded to be something really USEFUL.

#382077 - 01/20/14 02:06 PM Re: Using S950 Multipads & Vocoder for backing vocals [Re: Dnj]
Robbo Offline

Loc: Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Sounds great,

loved it! well done

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online