SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#383776 - 02/04/14 01:34 PM Re: LIVE BK9 Performance "STARDUST" & "MISTY" [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I had 3 great band (more than 2 people) experiences..My first band as a teenager (18-19), The Hi-Fiv band..these guys were all "old"..late 40's and 50's. smile We were a "hit parade" house band at the Golden Horse..

The second band was my duo partner Cheryl, and Jerry the drummer from Innocents..Emil (guitar)from Mixed Company and myself..from Aria with Cheryl..

The third was my 11 years with "Just in Time"...

Would I want to go back into the past..and play with those old guys...You bet I would..they were real pros, that I took for granted, until I seen other performers..Bass(upright) , drums, guitar, sax, and accordion. smile

Would I want to play with that throw together band with Cheryl (a pretty black girl that is in my top 5 female vocalist that I have worked with..)..Emil and Jerry..In a heartbeat..Maybe the most fun I ever had in a band..Personalities galore..

Even Just in Time, after this 4 month absence..I am considering rejoining..
Playing Classy venues (bars), has it's rewards..Stage chemistry makes the difference..

Maybe you didn't play with the right people. grin
How can you tell if they were the right people?..You would play for the fun of it...if it was only about money...you were with the wrong people. smile

#383781 - 02/04/14 01:43 PM Re: LIVE BK9 Performance "STARDUST" & "MISTY" [Re: Fran Carango]
jd5live Offline

Loc: Bilston , West Midlands,Englan...
Shame He's NOT an arranger player, not used to working with an electronic drummer and it shows, good free time player and may be good with live backing band who can bend the feel to match. good sound though.
John.

#383804 - 02/04/14 10:24 PM Re: LIVE BK9 Performance "STARDUST" & "MISTY" [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Electronic drummer, real drummer... no difference. If you can't play in time with one, you can't play in time with the other.

You won't find many drummers who get their time from the piano player!

#383818 - 02/05/14 05:02 AM Re: LIVE BK9 Performance "STARDUST" & "MISTY" [Re: Dnj]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
i think he was just struggling to understand that his left hand has to lead the chord changes. many classically trained pianists struggle with timing issues and certainly it takes a while to adapt to an arranger and to stop fighting the way the chords need to be triggered.

#383829 - 02/05/14 09:27 AM Re: LIVE BK9 Performance "STARDUST" & "MISTY" [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
He's fantastic piano player He's not an arranger player!

#383863 - 02/05/14 01:07 PM Re: LIVE BK9 Performance "STARDUST" & "MISTY" [Re: Dnj]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Roland's new Pianostyle system works better than anything else I've played at following pretty normal piano playing, but yes, there's still a fair bit of adjusting you need to do to get accurate chord triggering.

Pianostyle USED to be simply that you needed THREE held notes before the chord would change, but the new system is, it takes three notes if you aren't holding the sustain, but if sustain is down, you need to actually PLAY five notes simultaneously, you can play anything up to four and the chord won't change.

So, play a big arpeggio on the piano with the sustain held down, the chord will not go crazy trying to follow...

Combine it with the Dynamic Arranger making the rhythm section follow your dynamics, and it's quite amazing how little you have to change to get a good result. But yes, you can't play ANYTHING and it figures it out, yet!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online