SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#398425 - 01/19/15 12:20 PM Re: Ketron SD 1000 review + iPAD apps [Re: ]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: rosetree
I think some changes such as taking the SRX03 flutes instead of pan flute would definitely approach it more to the original. The flutes in the original sound much more brilliant to me than the G70 pan flutes.

Rosetree, I will try some different instruments and post..

Here is the sequence...if you guys want to fool with it..

Attachments
aswinginsafari.mid (116 downloads)

Edited by Fran Carango (01/19/15 12:24 PM)

#398426 - 01/19/15 12:24 PM Re: Ketron SD 1000 review + iPAD apps [Re: Fran Carango]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Fran Carango
.I know the Integra has the JV80 choir sounds..

Sorry about the knock on the SD1000....

The Integra has got SuperNatural choir tones PLUS old choirs from the XV/JV PLUS excellent choirs from the SRX06 (plus boy's choir from SRX03) etc.

You see, I tend to defend the Roland Integra, not the SD1000. This module is nor more than a nice add-on for my Integra and MoXF, I'm quite objective about it. It does have some cons (e.g. missing velocity layers in a number of sounds).

#398427 - 01/19/15 12:49 PM Re: Ketron SD 1000 review + iPAD apps [Re: Fran Carango]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Fran ... because the 'voices' that were correct sounded that much better ... as I said JMHO, but what do I know ?!? ...

#398428 - 01/19/15 12:57 PM Re: Ketron SD 1000 review + iPAD apps [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

I listened to your version again, the midi file does have a number of deviations from the original, where shall I start:
- the guitar pattern is different: only off-beat chords, the strumming is missing. For this purpose I had recorded two different guitar tracks to come closer to the strumming
- the trombone chords thrown in are much too long, they are short and attack-like in the original (and in my version)
- the double bass line is missing: Kaempfert uses the pick bass (Geissler's Knackbass) to play short pronounced tones, plus a low-key acoustic bass to play continuous eighths (quavers) as a second line. I have that in my sequencer version.
- the original consists of a soft brush swing rhythm, not hihat etc.
-in addition to be traversal instead of pan flutes, the flutes are three-voice, not two-voiced with sixth intervals.

On the other hands, it is true that I added a few tones, also a background piano, which are not clearly present in the original.
I have specialized on Kaempfert for quite a number of years (my father was fond of his records in the 70s already), so I figured out many details especially when listening to Swingin Safari again and again. But of course I am always thankful for additional hints what is missing or too much.
But in this case I hear more deviations in the midi file you used.

Edited by rosetree (01/19/15 01:25 PM)

#398429 - 01/19/15 12:59 PM Re: Ketron SD 1000 review + iPAD apps [Re: ]
Fran Carango Offline

Rosetree, I edited the sequence using the flute and trombones from the Studio card,,and edited the drum kit a bit...The results were better...

#398430 - 01/19/15 01:07 PM Re: Ketron SD 1000 review + iPAD apps [Re: ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: rosetree

- the guitar pattern is different: only off-beat chords, the strumming is missing. For this purpose I had recorded two different guitar tracks to come closer to the strumming

rosetree ... I was going to ask how you accomplished that ... the 'strumming' is very good ... thank you ...

#398431 - 01/19/15 01:09 PM Re: Ketron SD 1000 review + iPAD apps [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

OK, would be interesting to hear the changes. The SRX 03 really has some very nice samples. Equipped with enough SRX boards, Roland is certainly up-to-date. If I had a G70, I would use something like a XV 2020 or Sonic Cell to get two more SRX slots. wink

#398434 - 01/19/15 01:53 PM Re: Ketron SD 1000 review + iPAD apps [Re: ]
Fran Carango Offline

http://francarango.homestead.com/DR000235.mp3

Bass , trumpet, trombones,guitars, flute, from the Studio card

#398437 - 01/19/15 02:13 PM Re: Ketron SD 1000 review + iPAD apps [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Thanks. Yes, those sounds are much better than the first version. I realized there IS the double bass line in your midi version.
One more thing I noticed: the strings with their descending sequence exactly play 16ths to the point, they should play the sequence faster and earlier (I can't express this in detail in English). I think the main thing about the midi version you use is the typical midi file characteristic: too much to the point, either programmed on the computer or too heavily quantized, and therefore a bit machine-like. If each track is played by a human on the keyboard when recording and isn't quantized, it inevitably sounds more natural afterwards.

But really, the sounds are much better now.

Edited by rosetree (01/19/15 02:14 PM)

#398438 - 01/19/15 03:18 PM Re: Ketron SD 1000 review + iPAD apps [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

How old is G70 now ...1996 release?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online