SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#401489 - 04/17/15 10:20 AM Re: Trying to wake everyone up. [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
It's ironic that Boo, the player of a monotonic instrument, is the one here who really gets the fact that learning structure and improvisation is all about "running the chords". You learn all the notes to a chord and then look at the possibilities when you add, say a line that's a fifth above the line. Then, choose compatible chords...say the first two to a tune you like, and explore variations and compatibilities between those two chords and the associated notes. Then, you look at inversions and other variations. As the commercial says, "the possibilities are ENDLESS!"

THEN, you're HOOKED! Anyone who says they get tired of rehearsing hasn't really "run the chords".

I was fascinated with three chords. Until I was 10. Then, I turned on the radio expecting to hear Bill Hailey (Rock around the Clock) and heard Johnny Mathis (of all people) singing "Chances Are". Well, I took out my little guitar and started hunting. (This is why i joking tell people Johnny got me into jazz).

I found the root, but in what I later learned as a maj7th form, plus all these other amazing sounds I could only wonder at.

Unless I had to play them for a living, (and, believe me, for years, I did), I was off three chords from then on; especially after I started to listen to Les Paul; then Billy Extine, followed by all the great big band guys and soloists...Sonny Rawlins, Dexter, Miles (much later) Art Blakley...Ole Diz (brought the entertainment factor to play)...Oscar...Goodman...."Train"...the list goes on...and on...and ON!

Props to Boo for recognizing the importance of chords and structure and for being the one who constantly reminds us
that there is more to music that three chords and a beer.

There's champagne, brandy, women (watch out),refer (they say it makes your hair fall out), starvation, frustration and LOT'S MORE!

I'm personally gonna keep it up til I get it right.

Russ (chrome dome) Lay

Edited by captain Russ (04/17/15 10:27 AM)

#401491 - 04/17/15 10:37 AM Re: Trying to wake everyone up. [Re: brickboo]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
What's the definition of a minor second?

A bass player and a guitar player playing an unison.

How do you get two saxophone players to play in tune?

Shoot one of them!

What do you call a guitar player that only knows two chords?

A music critic.

#401497 - 04/17/15 02:04 PM Re: Trying to wake everyone up. [Re: brickboo]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good Lord, Russ. Now you're telling us there are minors, majors, 5th, 7ths, 9ths, 11ths - What's next? And, beer is very important to music. In fact, if it were not for beer, none of us would be here, America would not have been discovered because old Chris would have died of thirst while crossing the Atlantic, we would not have our modern assembly lines and automated bottling machines. Fortunately, beer led to mixed drinks, such as Margarettas, which I try to consume while attempting to learn all those other chords people keep talking about.

Fortunately, I talk to Boo every week or two and believe it or not, we never discuss music. We talk about fishing in the mountains of Colorado V/S fishing in my part of the world, the weather where he lives compared to Maryland and the Florida Keys, lots of neat cars, brick laying, block laying and all the good things in life.

Now, when I call, Boo's wife Penny usually answers the telephone, which is a good thing because Boo's hearing is shot to Hell, but he won't admit it - it's a guy thing! I would much rather talk with Penny because she's much better looking and far more intelligent than Boo.

I try to help Boo with his antique computers and keyboards as much as possible, but those things are so old that my mind is to the point where I cannot remember all the technical stuff from that long ago. Of course, I guess it would help if I didn't mix up a Green Coconut Margaretta before making the calls. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (04/17/15 02:05 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#401501 - 04/17/15 03:36 PM Re: Trying to wake everyone up. [Re: brickboo]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Gary, believe it or not, I got into Penny's 1990 Kyocera flip phone and the volume was as low as can be. If you didn't want to talk to Penny, (she is better looking than me, especially to an old fart, worn out, heterosexual male species) You could call me direct on my Galaxy Note Smartphone and there would be no problem. Ha ha! There is exactly 5,457 different chords and that's not counting inversions and chords with a 13th. Now go have another Margarita. Haha!

#401502 - 04/17/15 03:42 PM Re: Trying to wake everyone up. [Re: ianmcnll]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll

What do you call a guitar player that only knows two chords?

A music critic.

Better answer - someone about to switch to arranger keyboards.

smile

chas

#401504 - 04/17/15 05:01 PM Re: Trying to wake everyone up. [Re: cgiles]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online