SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#409761 - 10/17/15 03:35 PM Normally I don't sing...
rosetree
Unregistered

...except if I want to do a Paul Simon cover version like 'Boy in the Bubble'. I've always loved his Graceland album. And there's no way of replacing the lyrics with an instrument and playiing an instrumental version of it.
So I had to sing this time... Everything played on the Yamaha MoXF (about 10 sequencer tracks).
https://soundcloud.com/rorosetree/boy-in-the-bubble-paul-simoncover-mit-gesanginclvocals-yamaha-moxf

#409762 - 10/17/15 05:19 PM Re: Normally I don't sing... [Re: ]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
A little different song for here, done well!

R.

#409767 - 10/17/15 07:30 PM Re: Normally I don't sing... [Re: ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Hey that is fun listening

#409770 - 10/17/15 10:27 PM Re: Normally I don't sing... [Re: ]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
I enjoyed this one, Rosetree. Das hast du gut gemacht/gesungen.

Taike

#409800 - 10/18/15 12:21 PM Re: Normally I don't sing... [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Thanks. It took some evenings to compose these tracks, nothing is automatic, I also played the drums manually on the keyboard as one of the sequencer tracks. Picked everything by ear, also by watching a video of a live version. I just love this Graceland album. Tracks are: accordeon 1, accordeon 2 (more musette sound), nylon guitar, steel guitar, mute guitar, two electric/distortion guitars, drums, drums 2 for congas/percussions, fretless bass. My singing is just the necessary "add-on", this doesn't sound instrumentally.

#416225 - 02/07/16 11:53 AM Re: Normally I don't sing... [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Quickly added a second voice to it now, still the same link. So easy nowadays: Listened to the recording via headphones, recorded the second voice with my Olympus LS-12 pocket recorder (just one take), added the audio track with Audacity, fit it regarding timing and applied reverb to it.

https://soundcloud.com/rorosetree/boy-in-the-bubble-paul-simoncover-mit-gesanginclvocals-yamaha-moxf

Guess I'm going to do some more Paul Simon songs some time.

In addition, I've digged out my trombone I used to play for 20 years and am trying to train on it again, although after lip and cheek surgeries over 10 years ago, due to which I gave up trombone playing, the scar tissue makes it questionable whether I will achieve a sufficient lip flexibility and tension again. It would be nice if I could include a bit of real trombone playing in my synth/keys videos and audios.

Edited by rosetree (02/07/16 11:55 AM)

#416233 - 02/07/16 04:31 PM Re: Normally I don't sing... [Re: ]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
That was very enjoyable, Rosetree. There's certainly nothing wrong with your singing. I'll be looking forward to your next performance.

Taike

#416245 - 02/08/16 06:25 AM Re: Normally I don't sing... [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Thanks a lot, Taike!

Alaaf

#416324 - 02/09/16 08:44 AM Re: Normally I don't sing... [Re: ]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Pretty nice! Different Simon patterns are always fun!
I'd re-record a manual bass line. Voice is fine.

R.

#416326 - 02/09/16 09:08 AM Re: Normally I don't sing... [Re: captain Russ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Pretty nice! Different Simon patterns are always fun!
I'd re-record a manual bass line. Voice is fine.

R.

Thanks! Yes, I like a lot of Paul Simon songs. I'm not experienced in singing, apart from having sung in a small choir a long time ago. It's only a side line for me.
Not sure what you mean about the bass line though. I recorded all instrument tracks playing them manually. I played the fretless bass as close as possible to the original version I heard on Youtube. There are one or two points where the guitars have a retardation coming late for the right chord, maybe also the bass at that point, maybe that's what you're referring to. But an automatic bass couldn't do this pattern, as it foresees the next harmonies and leads towards them.

Edited by rosetree (02/09/16 09:17 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online