SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#418520 - 03/20/16 10:06 PM Backup track & 3 Row Diatonice Accordion
Torch Offline

The young player has a nice Jazz feel interacting very nicely with the backup track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06cX2R2EL-s
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#418532 - 03/21/16 07:57 AM Re: Backup track & 3 Row Diatonice Accordion [Re: Torch]
Dnj Offline

great stuff... clap

#418536 - 03/21/16 08:32 AM Re: Backup track & 3 Row Diatonice Accordion [Re: Torch]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Torch
The young player has a nice Jazz feel interacting very nicely with the backup track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06cX2R2EL-s

Very nice ... thanks for posting that, Torch ... the young man has a few other youtube recordings as well ...

As for Diatonic accordion players, I saw these guys at the Newport Jazz festival in 2014 ... Ludovic Beier on accordion ... they were FABULOUS ...

#418578 - 03/22/16 07:09 AM Re: Backup track & 3 Row Diatonice Accordion [Re: tony mads usa]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
Very nice playing by this accordionist. He is actually playing a 5 row continental chromatic accordion.
The diatonic button accordions are usually 2 rows, 3 rows a lot of the time. The diatonic accordion is used a lot in Irish traditional music. The difference of the diatonic accordions are, each button will sound 2 different notes when you push and pull the bellows in or out, similar to a harmonica (blow and suck). The continental chromatic 5 row (and 4 rows in France sometimes) produces ONE note per button (the same as the piano accordion on each key). The 5 row accordion can have up to 102 buttons on the Righthand and 120 bass buttons similar to PA on Lefthand. It's RH keyboard layout is much more complex than the diatonic and difficult to play, but when mastered, the player can handle more complex music from classical to French musette.

Just saying.

Edited by Mockie (03/22/16 07:30 AM)

#418593 - 03/22/16 10:35 AM Re: Backup track & 3 Row Diatonice Accordion [Re: Mockie]
Torch Offline

Thanks, Tony, for the Ludovic video. He is great on his CBA, but I did not expect to hear what the young Hispanic player was doing on a 3 row diatonic accordion. With limited notes (diatonic not chromatic), things can be pretty diffcult to play. That's why they have a number of instruments in different keys much like the diatonic harmonica.

Another thing is that many of the Conjunto musicians play by ear. That might come handy for them when it comes to improvisation.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#418614 - 03/22/16 03:38 PM Re: Backup track & 3 Row Diatonice Accordion [Re: Torch]
Mockie Offline

Loc: Dublin Ireland
Torch, it looks as if the young guy playing the 3 row accordion is playing a continental chromatic instrument. Have a look at the bellows movement and the lovely smooth way he is executing this tune.
A 3 row CBA??

#418618 - 03/22/16 05:35 PM Re: Backup track & 3 Row Diatonice Accordion [Re: Mockie]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Mockie
Very nice playing by this accordionist. He is actually playing a 5 row continental chromatic accordion.
The diatonic button accordions are usually 2 rows, 3 rows a lot of the time. The diatonic accordion is used a lot in Irish traditional music. The difference of the diatonic accordions are, each button will sound 2 different notes when you push and pull the bellows in or out, similar to a harmonica (blow and suck). The continental chromatic 5 row (and 4 rows in France sometimes) produces ONE note per button (the same as the piano accordion on each key). The 5 row accordion can have up to 102 buttons on the Righthand and 120 bass buttons similar to PA on Lefthand. It's RH keyboard layout is much more complex than the diatonic and difficult to play, but when mastered, the player can handle more complex music from classical to French musette.
Just saying.

Mockie ... thank you for that information ... I learned something new today ... I never gave it much thought but I figured a button accordion was a button accordion - I was unaware there was a difference ...
My grandfather played a what must have been a small, two row, diatonic accordion, because I remember that the same button produced two different sounds when the bellows was pulled or pushed ...

Originally Posted By: Torch
Thanks, Tony, for the Ludovic video. He is great on his CBA, but I did not expect to hear what the young Hispanic player was doing on a 3 row diatonic accordion. With limited notes (diatonic not chromatic), things can be pretty diffcult to play. That's why they have a number of instruments in different keys much like the diatonic harmonica.
Another thing is that many of the Conjunto musicians play by ear. That might come handy for them when it comes to improvisation.

And thank you as well, Torch, for I did not know about the diatonic accordions coming in different keys ...
When I heard Ludovic with the Django tribute band he just blew me away ... in fact, that whole group is made up of excellent musicians ... it was a shame that they appeared on one of the smaller stages at the Newport jazz Festival and were not heard and appreciated by enough people ...
We happened to speak with one of the producers of the Newport Jazz Festival after their performance and told him that group should be on the main stage real soon ....

#418624 - 03/22/16 08:51 PM Re: Backup track & 3 Row Diatonice Accordion [Re: Mockie]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Mockie......thank you for that great explanation on button accordions. I've been playing French musette accordion for about 30 years now, and that's the first time I'm able to understand how these French players can play so rapidly. They don't need to move around as much as I'm assuming the buttons are bunched together.

No one has ever explained that to me, so I really appreciated what you wrote.

I met Ludovic when he was doing a demo in the area. I spoke to him on his break. One of the nicest fellows you'll ever meet. I asked him bluntly....."how did you get so good at such a relatively young age?" Answer by Ludovic: "Play everyday, as much as you can. Don't worry about mistakes, just......keep on playing."

He was so sincere in his comment, I believe that is just what he did and that's what worked for him. But, of course, it helps to have a talent like his.

I love Gypsy Jazz.....listening to Django, Ludovic, Angelo DeBarre (who plays with him) and many others. The movie Sweet and Lowdown was all about Sean Penn making a living playing Gypsy around the country in the 20's. I highly recommend the movie to anyone interested in GJ...and it was funny too. The soundtrack also...incredible, happy music almost as good as Django!

MC

#418625 - 03/22/16 09:06 PM Re: Backup track & 3 Row Diatonice Accordion [Re: Torch]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Did you notice that he has a Spanish name and here he says that he composed this polka named after his home town in Texas.

Sullivan City Polka https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWiRbmDuXjs

Also, watching his fingering on the buttons I can see that he is self-taught. And, if you listen closely, his roots are in Mexican music evidenced in the polka.

I say all the above because I think he did a great job on Autumn Leaves all things considering. Not to mention that's a great sound he gets out of that box.

Mark

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online