SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#418633 - 03/23/16 01:54 AM Re: need advice on purchasing a laptop [Re: Mark79100]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
It’s most likely a driver problem in that the touch screen interface and touchpad are interfering with each other; however this should have been sorted by Dell before despatch, so send it back for a replacement. (Perhaps choosing a slightly different model)

In the meantime try turning off the interface you are not using, to see if this improves it.

Hope this helps

Bill

#418636 - 03/23/16 02:34 AM Re: need advice on purchasing a laptop [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
It’s most likely a driver problem in that the touch screen interface and touchpad are interfering with each other; however this should have been sorted by Dell before despatch, so send it back for a replacement. (Perhaps choosing a slightly different model)

In the meantime try turning off the interface you are not using, to see if this improves it.

Hope this helps

Bill

If its a driver issue, then it should classwide, and then Dell would probably allready have a default fix for it.... The model is not entirely new but sold for a few months now...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#418640 - 03/23/16 05:37 AM Re: need advice on purchasing a laptop [Re: Mark79100]
rosetree
Unregistered

Did you try it with a pencil for capacitive touchscreens? Available in any big supermarket, those pencils with a soft gum end. And does a USB mouse work correctly?

#418642 - 03/23/16 07:07 AM Re: need advice on purchasing a laptop [Re: abacus]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: abacus
It’s most likely a driver problem in that the touch screen interface and touchpad are interfering with each other;

In the meantime try turning off the interface you are not using,

Good idea.......I'll try this before I call Dell again today for a replacement. I'll telephone tech support one more time and explore a possible "driver" problem.

Mark

#418643 - 03/23/16 07:11 AM Re: need advice on purchasing a laptop [Re: Bachus]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus
If its a driver issue, then it should classwide, and then Dell would probably allready have a default fix for it.... The model is not entirely new but sold for a few months now...

I will ask the techie if this is a known issue...the drivers..and is there a fix for it?

I ordered an Insiron 7558 but they sent me a 7568 "because it's a newer machine with "minor improvements." He DID have to upgrade the BIOS so I'm wondering if there IS a driver issue too?

Mark

#418646 - 03/23/16 07:16 AM Re: need advice on purchasing a laptop [Re: ]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
Did you try it with a pencil for capacitive touchscreens? Available in any big supermarket, those pencils with a soft gum end. And does a USB mouse work correctly?

Good thoughts again. Yes, I plugged a wireless USB mouse into it and that seemed to work fine. But I'm hardly using the laptop except to go online. I still have to buy WORD and ACCESS and get a PDF reader to view my music, etc.

I don't want to have to use one of those "pencils," but I see what you're getting at. See if it works with a "precise" tap right in the center of the icon.....correct?

I'm not understanding why I see everyone else just "poking" their screen and having it work the first time around!

Mark

#418647 - 03/23/16 07:24 AM Re: need advice on purchasing a laptop [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

I'm going to address this issue today with the Dell technical dept and definitely ask them what their comments are about the drivers?.....before my return period runs out.

Thanks for your concern, guys......I'll keep you posted. You've been a big help with your comments even before I bought this "pain in the neck" computer.

BTW......their sales team and communication is so poor I had to cancel my first order because they didn't apply my promo code of $50 savings off the price. Then when I got the invoice I noticed they didn't take an additional $40 off for being an AAA member. And they put McAfee anti-virus on the OS and charged me $30 for that (which I also got refunded).

I think Dell means well, produce a good product, a decent price, but they do what all companies do now....outsource EVERYTHING. I never once got to speak to an American in American-ese!

Mark

#418659 - 03/23/16 12:26 PM Re: need advice on purchasing a laptop [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

What a mess this situation is. But if you're going to be in the music business nowadays, a laptop 2 in 1 is an absolutely necessity.

I've been on the phone 3 hours with Dell now, since the above message. He took remote control of my computer.
We tried a number of things including disconnecting the touchpad to see if the touchscreen works any better. He said the two drivers do not affect each other but he'll do it anyway. When he finally said he wants to try a new OS install I drew the line there.

Luckily I know how to handle situations like this....options are as follows. They'll send me a replacement laptop but will not extend the initial trial period. That means I still only have up to April 05 to determine if the 2nd computer works correctly. But.......they WILL give me a refund on the 2nd computer if I decide I don't want it for a 30 day period from the time I receive laptop #2. I'm to let them know tomorrow.

The reason I'm writing all this out is.......can any of you give me your opinions on what YOU would do given these circumstances. I mean I have no problem returning this for a refund right now and "re-buying" again.

So, what I mean, is............would you go for a different brand or stay with Dell and go for a different model? And do you have suggestions on a "model." etc, etc, etc Meantime I'll make the decision on how I'm going to go about returning this one.....refund or exchange. But...it's clearly going back!!!

Thanks

Mark

#418661 - 03/23/16 01:11 PM Re: need advice on purchasing a laptop [Re: Mark79100]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Mark,
You go a PM.
Deane

#418672 - 03/23/16 09:01 PM Re: need advice on purchasing a laptop [Re: hammer]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By: hammer
Mark,
You go a PM.
Deane

Deane......I'm not sure what a "PM" is, but I came up with a solution to a problem I never should have got involved in. I'm just plain returning it and getting my money back. I've had my fill of technology!

Mark

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online