SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#422896 - 07/03/16 02:31 PM Re: PA 4X Keep It? Sell It? Return It? [Re: hammer]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: hammer
Well, I got some of the video processed. For those interested here is the link.
https://youtu.be/QKfQznJyGwM

Donny, in my opinion, the PA4X does not come close to competing with the Ketron SD7.
Sorry if that offends anyone here but that is how I see, hear, it. Keep in mind I don't care about all the fancy features - I am an arranger player - not a composer - I don't use samples, I never use midi files, and the only time I DJ is if my setup fails to work at the gig. I much prefer the rhythm sections of the SD7 styles to the PA4X - seem much more real to me. Anyway, that is just my opinion.

Deane

Deane, i compared the pa4x video to your first sd7 video on youtube, and i think i can understand why you prefer the SD7 above the pa4x.. Both where forst gigs, and you sounded better and more in your element on the sd7...

Seems the SD7 works good for you and the genre of music you play...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#422898 - 07/03/16 02:58 PM Re: PA 4X Keep It? Sell It? Return It? [Re: guitpic1]
rosetree
Unregistered

I think Ketron has a way to make it sound pleasing easily; their instruments usually have a smaller selection of sounds (far less than 1,000 sounds), and a lot of the sounds are less customizable than e.g. Korg's ones, less individual, but very pleasant and ready to play, often with a sampled vibrato.
In addition, probably ballroom styles are one of the genres Ketron is specialized in; saxophone sections are perfectly matched to a Glenn Miller tune etc.
That would be my explanation why you get along better with Ketron.

#422901 - 07/03/16 03:15 PM Re: PA 4X Keep It? Sell It? Return It? [Re: hammer]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA

Donny, in my opinion, the PA4X does not come close to competing with the Ketron SD7.
Sorry if that offends anyone here but that is how I see, hear, it.
Deane

Deane, As a Pa4x owner I certainly DO NOT take offense.

Some folks like vanilla ice cream others chocolate, some prefer vodka, others beer or maybe wine..........you like the SD7. Some of us like the Pa4x. Each product we choose is what we like or what does the best job for us. To quote our friend Donny "enjoy what you play." Me? I'm sticking with the Pa4x smile doesn't mean either one of us are right or wrong we use the tool that does the best job for us.

PS Thanks for posting the video

#422910 - 07/03/16 07:03 PM Re: PA 4X Keep It? Sell It? Return It? [Re: hammer]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia

Sorry if that offends anyone here but that is how I see, hear, it. Keep in mind I don't care about all the fancy features - I am an arranger player - not a composer - I don't use samples, I never use midi files, and the only time I DJ is if my setup fails to work at the gig. I much prefer the rhythm sections of the SD7 styles to the PA4X - seem much more real to me. Anyway, that is just my opinion.

Deane

Hi Deane,
Nice setup.

How could you offend people? If the korg doesn't suit you as well as an sd7, so be it. You gave it your best shot. If there was only 1 type of keyboard available, be a pretty boring old world. People have different needs and they like different types of music.

I haven't been around , do you still have your sd7.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#422916 - 07/03/16 08:56 PM Re: PA 4X Keep It? Sell It? Return It? [Re: rikkisbears]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Rikki,
Yes, I still have the SD7 and will probably take a serious look at the SD9 Pro when it arrives. I like the built-in speakers though and the SD9 will not have that.

Deane

#422917 - 07/03/16 09:43 PM Re: PA 4X Keep It? Sell It? Return It? [Re: hammer]
Bachus Offline

Rikki,
Yes, I still have the SD7 and will probably take a serious look at the SD9 Pro when it arrives. I like the built-in speakers though and the SD9 will not have that.

Deane

Looking forward to what the sd9 will have to offer... It seems to have quite a few innovative features.

#422918 - 07/03/16 09:44 PM Re: PA 4X Keep It? Sell It? Return It? [Re: hammer]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Deane,
Pa4x hasn't got the speakers either. I do like having the Paas speaker attachéd to my pa3x, I must admit.
Even though only for home use, I used to have a big set of Tannoy speaker and an amp for my sd1+.
Way overboard.
For gigging, inbuilt speakers must make it easier, though you do have a nice setup.

Thinking maybe you tried to do too much quickly? There again, you alone know what you're comfortable with.

All the best

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#422919 - 07/03/16 09:57 PM Re: PA 4X Keep It? Sell It? Return It? [Re: Bachus]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus

Looking forward to what the sd9 will have to offer... It seems to have quite a few innovative features.

Hi Bachus

quite like the ketron's. Only thing that didn't suit me with the sd1 were the style editing/ creation functions.

Would have luved an audya, price was well over double of my korg.

We only have one outlet as far as I'm aware , unfortunately not a big seller over here, so we pay a premium .
That sd40.? Module sounds interesting, must admit, heaven knows when or if we'd get them here.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#422920 - 07/03/16 10:50 PM Re: PA 4X Keep It? Sell It? Return It? [Re: rikkisbears]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rikkisbears
Originally Posted By: Bachus

Hi Bachus

quite like the ketron's. Only thing that didn't suit me with the sd1 were the style editing/ creation functions.

Would have luved an audya, price was well over double of my korg.

We only have one outlet as far as I'm aware , unfortunately not a big seller over here, so we pay a premium .
That sd40.? Module sounds interesting, must admit, heaven knows when or if we'd get them here.

I owned an Audya4 module for almost a year... from which it was over 9 months in the Ketron repair center (3 times).

But its still the only TOTL arranger in the 21st century released in module form. I played it on top of a Yamaha S90ES and a V-synth GT back then. It was quite a nice setup. I still believe strongly in the power of arranger modules as they allow you the freedom of choosing your own Keyboard, combined with your favorite styles..

#422925 - 07/04/16 02:56 AM Re: PA 4X Keep It? Sell It? Return It? [Re: Bachus]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Hi Deane,

Thanks for posting the video. You know me, I know you, so it won't come as a surprise me saying that the Ketron would beat the Korg anytime with the music that you play and the audiences that you please. AS stated by others they are both great instruments in their own right. Together with the Tyros 4 or 5 they are the cream of the crop and it is just a matter of taste and pecuniary resources smile

regards,
John

P.S. I am sticking with the old stuff. PA800 and SD1Plus and the old Yamaha P80 piano. Cannot play that often anymore anyhow so keeping the PA4X was not really a great option for me.....

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online