SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#426446 - 09/25/16 10:05 PM Pa900 and OnSong App.
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Pa 900 and IPad OnSong App.

1- Moving to the next song as fast as I can. I want to keep my dancers.
2- I use 90% Lyrics and chords. 10% written notes. OnSong does both.
I am using a Pa900 and an IPad with the OnSong App.
OnSong Displays lyrics and chords, and PDF files.
1- Picture #1 is my IPad mounted on the music rack which I cut down to the size of the IPad. I added support to the music rack for additional stability.
2- Picture #2 is a close up of the IPad and the Pa900 screen. You can judge the size of the Ipad text by comparing it with the Pa900 screen.
3- Picture #3 displays the drop down menu in OnSong.

Continue to my next post for pictures #4 and #5.

Attachments
Picture 1a.JPG

Picture 2.JPG

Picture 3 .JPG

#426447 - 09/25/16 10:08 PM Re: Pa900 and OnSong App. [Re: bruno123]
bruno123 Offline

4- Picture #4 is a close up of the song selected in the IPad. Notice the STS and pad settings for each song selected. No need to change the page to find the STS and Pad settings for each song; D/B/B/B display the first four notes of the song. 15-8 is my code for my KMA keyboard.

5- Picture #3 is the SongBook display in the Pa900. Press the song and then Select. I have 15 sets, each set contains 6 to 10 songs. Each song has 3 to 5 songs on the same page -- You scroll down for the next song. All songs on the same page Exmple; “Breaking up is hard to do”, use the same keyboard setting.

To go to the next group of songs in the set you swipe the IPad from left to right and then select the same song in the Pa900 window. To change the next set of songs in OnSong select the drop down menu. To change the set of songs on the Pa900 go to filter and select the new set number.
ONSONG --- You can:

1-You can change the color of the chord and the background color of the chord.
2-The text can be changed on:
A-The title
B- The STS and Pad text below the title,
C-The lyrics and chords.
D- You can add little messages in a note form and choose its color.
E-Add an Mp3 to play the song you are reading. Backing or solo.
F-Scrolling down a page can be done automatically – you can set the speed.

There is much more; the creator of the program has done a good job.
I prefer OnSong to the UnReal Book because I can add another song to the same page (Copy and Paste) Change anything on the page -- it is in Doc format. UnReal Book uses JPEG's; if you wish to make a change you must rescan the music.

John C.

Attachments
Picture 4 .JPG

Picture 5.JPG

#426472 - 09/26/16 09:08 PM Re: Pa900 and OnSong App. [Re: bruno123]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
This looks great and after you go through the process, saves paper and time. But, there has to be a large amount of time setting everything up.

I just wish one of the big companies would create a very efficient way of doing this within the keyboard... helped by an app that they heavily intergrate into their system.
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#426476 - 09/27/16 01:58 AM Re: Pa900 and OnSong App. [Re: shueymusic]
bruno123 Offline

Johnathan, my friend and I share most of the work; but it’s not really a lot of work, I enjoy doing it. On the Kn7000 there are 13 user banks, with 8 memories in each bank, Technics calls them Memory Banks. The banks did not call up songs; they called different type of bands. Big band soft, big band strong, Latin, waltz, 50’s rock, disco – ect.

I kept the same setup for 10 years. Each time I got a new idea I added it to the setup. After 10 years of editing and adding the setup was just what I wanted. That is what I have done with the OnSong and Pa900. It did not take me much time, but I will be editing the STS and Pads as I use them.

Time to setup up, but fantastic on a job; not much thinking, more time for performing.

If I can help let me know, John C.

#426496 - 09/27/16 10:29 AM Re: Pa900 and OnSong App. [Re: bruno123]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
John...
First of all....THANK YOU for introducing me to ONSONG. I use it on every gig and it is now a staple on the short 1-hour shows where I use a disciplined set list. I'm going to need a lesson from you on some of the finer points of the program I see you using. Your slimmed down music stand for the iPad is terrific.
Eddie

#426504 - 09/27/16 02:34 PM Re: Pa900 and OnSong App. [Re: btweengigs]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
John and Eddie ... if I understand this - and I DOUBT that I do - you have keyed all the info that shows on your 'lead sheet' ... what software did you use - (you said it is a .doc file?)
Do you have a 'Master List' of songs on the iPAD that you use to set up your 'set lists'?
Does the iPAD hook into the Pa900, and does it automatically generate the correct style and STS settings, or do you generate the song on the iPAD based on calling up the song on the KB, or are there two seperate steps involved?
Obviously I know NOTHING about how the tie - in of the iPAD and Pa900 works, but I certainly would like to learn.
Thank you for any info,

#426505 - 09/27/16 06:27 PM Re: Pa900 and OnSong App. [Re: bruno123]
124 Offline

There's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu_cVjThIh0&feature=youtu.be

Miden, who used to frequent this forum some time ago put this together using a Pa2X - probably a lot if this applies to the Pa900 (though I wouldn't swear to it).

He uses an iRig unit and software called Unreal Book.

Hope it helps, Tony.

#426506 - 09/27/16 08:01 PM Re: Pa900 and OnSong App. [Re: 124]
tony mads usa Offline

Thank you ... that was quite informative ...
I would still like to hear from the Pa900 users as to whether the same procedure is followed and if it works this way with OnSong ...

#426507 - 09/27/16 09:08 PM Re: Pa900 and OnSong App. [Re: tony mads usa]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
.... you have keyed all the info that shows on your 'lead sheet' ... what software did you use - (you said it is a .doc file?)
Do you have a 'Master List' of songs on the iPAD that you use to set up your 'set lists'?
Does the iPAD hook into the Pa900, and does it automatically generate the correct style and STS settings, or do you generate the song on the iPAD based on calling up the song on the KB, or are there two seperate steps involved?
Obviously I know NOTHING about how the tie - in of the iPAD and Pa900 works, but I certainly would like to learn.

Tony...I can't address all your questions especially as they relate to Korg, but this is how I use ONSONG with my Yamaha, iMac and iPad.

First - Bought the ONSONG app and installed it on my iPad. $20

Second - Bought the ONSONG CONSOLE app and installed it on my iMac. $10

Over the years I have copied, pasted and formatted lyrics into WORD.DOC files saved on my iMac.
By using the ONSONG app on the iPad with the ONSONG CONSOLE app on the iMac, I can, wirelessly move my lyric files from the iMac to the iPad.

From here, all work is done just on the iPad.
Using the ONSONG app on the iPad I can then create SET LISTS in the app that correspond to SET LISTS (registration files) I have set up on my Yamaha S970.

On a gig each song requires 2 steps. I call up a set list file with the necessary registrations on my KB and a corresponding set list of lyrics I need on the iPad. A 1-hour show might have 20+ song registrations all lined up in order in my KB set list. I may not need the lyrics for every song in the KB list, so I load only the lyrics I need on the iPad set list with the ONSONG app and put them in the order they would fall to correspond to the KB list. When I come upon a song in my KB list where I need the lyrics, one swipe on the iPad brings up the file I need.

You might ask why both Onsong apps are needed. It is much easier to create lyric files on a desktop or laptop than on an iPad. The ONSONG CONSOLE gives you the ability to move .doc file into a master file on the ONSONG app. And, from there, you can create your sets. As I copy, paste and format new lyrics to my master lyric list on the iMac, I can then use the ONSONG CONSOLE to update the files on the iPad. The total package ($30) has been worth every penny.

John is using ONSONG features I have not tried yet and am sure he will be happy to share the info with you (and with me). smile
Eddie

#426509 - 09/27/16 11:37 PM Re: Pa900 and OnSong App. [Re: tony mads usa]
bruno123 Offline

Tony, keep it simple; few moving parts. I used the UnReal Book but once you scan the sheet of music you cannot make any changes without scanning again. There is no cut and paste, or changing fonts, color or editing. OnSong covers a word sheet and PDF files. The PDF files cannot be edited.

Pa900 – Select Filter n SongBook, type in the set number, just the number, Select the same set on the IPad. To go to the next set change the set number on the keyboard and then swipe the

IPad from right to left—it is that easy. I leave the filter page open on the Pa900. STS and Pads are written below the title of the song in the IPad.

The Keyboard
1-Select Filter
2-change set number
3-Press OK

I will be posting an in depth explanation if there is interest.

Music is part of life and life is good, John C.

#426581 - 09/30/16 06:44 PM Re: Pa900 and OnSong App. [Re: bruno123]
tony mads usa Offline

124, Eddie, and John ... thank you ... I am currently still 'old school' in that I am using the Songbook feature to set up 'set lists' on the Pa900 for 1 hour gigs ... but the use of the iPAD and OnSong certainly looks interesting ...
Thanks Again ...

#426587 - 10/01/16 06:43 AM Re: Pa900 and OnSong App. [Re: bruno123]
124 Offline

Ha ha! Same as you, Tony - with some laziness added. I keep saying I'll get around to it one of these days, but never do.

Songbook sets is my way of doing things, too. So darn easy. Have a good 'un.

#426589 - 10/01/16 10:18 AM Re: Pa900 and OnSong App. [Re: 124]
bruno123 Offline

123, Songbook set, great. What are you using for notes or chords and lyrics?
John C.

#426596 - 10/01/16 03:58 PM Re: Pa900 and OnSong App. [Re: bruno123]
124 Offline

Hi John. Chords, licks, etc., I keep in my head - I don't read dots. Lyrics we do the old way, sheets in binders.

We rotate 12 different 1-hour sets for our seniors' gigs, and never do one venue any more than four times per year. That way, say we do Set 1 at a gig in January 2016, well then it will be January 2019 before we use Set 1 again at that venue - having gone through the remaining eleven sets in that three year period.

We make a note of which set we did at any given venue so we know which set we'll be doing on the next visit.

#426597 - 10/01/16 04:47 PM Re: Pa900 and OnSong App. [Re: 124]
bruno123 Offline

123, If you are comfortable then it is good. Mine is not better than yours, it’s just different.

I started with sheet in plastic folders; and my Kn7000. Because I am a system maniac I bought a laptop. The IPad is not better – it is just much smaller.
1- In my laptop I had all my songs in one folder. “All Music”
2- I saved the same songs in categories. Old, Rock, Latin, Waltz Etc.
3- I created 100 songs in 5 categories; then added a title and date.
4- I had five pages – the sets ranged from not too popular to very popular.

5- 90% of my songs have lyrics and chords, but there are songs like the Jewish Horas, Celtic dancers, and Italian polkas and waltz I need the notes. They were in PDF format. To quote my friend Gary, “A laptop is the best” I agree. Why am I using a IPad instead of a laptop? #1 size. #2 Transferring my music programs from my 17” laptop to a smaller laptop is too much of a job.

We are not too far apart in our thinking.
John C

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online