SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#43043 - 09/29/03 03:11 AM Vocalizer??
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I was in the middle of a post, and it dissapared?? I must have pushed something. I hope this is not #2.

I am not interested in talking about the quility of the volcalizer in the Technics keyboard, I only wish to understand, to satisfy my curiosity, to put the subject away with a little logic.

My Question----
I know that a company that can produce a keyboard like the KN 7000 can create a volcalizer that would more than satisfy our needs, so why have they chosen not to do so?

There has to be a reason, the company chose not to do it why?

The reason will not cure the vocalizer problem, but their reason might put it to rest.

Is there a place that could/would gvie me this answer?

????? John C.

#43044 - 09/29/03 04:05 AM Re: Vocalizer??
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Hi,
I think there aim is to make a good keyboard.
(rahter)Easy to play and good voices. And even that is difficult with so many people who like different styles, better piano's, better violins. Home players, pro players, occasional player etc. etc.

So a vocalizer is maybe for some pro players or those who (think)they can sing.
And maybe a very important thing. The price of a keyboard.

rgds.
Willem

[This message has been edited by waterschip (edited 09-29-2003).]

#43045 - 09/29/03 04:48 AM Re: Vocalizer??
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by waterschip:
maybe a very important thing. The price of a keyboard.

I'm sure it's not a price issue. Technics keyboards are priced right with the rest of the pack...it's the dealers who gouge the customers with high prices. The actual dealer cost of a kn7k is about in line with a Tyros or a PA80. They just have no established list price, so the dealers play games with the numbers. It's not fair, but they must be happy. Lots of loyal fans .... even at the exagerated prices.

#43046 - 09/29/03 05:03 AM Re: Vocalizer??
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I seem to remember that Alec (technicsplayer) posted on this subject and mentioned something about patent problems with respect to Digitech, who manufacture the well known 'Vocaliser' unit.
A search found this : http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum25/HTML/000785.html

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#43047 - 09/29/03 05:13 AM Re: Vocalizer??
bruno123 Offline

This was posted.
So a vocalizer is maybe for some pro players or those who (think)they can sing.
And maybe a very important thing. The price of a keyboard.

Ouch, why the word think? I have seen and heard many piano players sit in their homes and play and sing. I have seen many pros do the same thing. I myself sing and play well enough to have suported a family of six. And, just yesterday, I played while my wife took the microphone which was pluged into the Tyros, and sang.There is enough of a need/desire.

So it's not the need or desire, nor do I feel it's the weight or the money, what is it.
These Technics are not without a great deal of knowledge, they must have a reason.

Looking for an answer I can accept, John C.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 09-29-2003).]

#43048 - 09/29/03 07:25 AM Re: Vocalizer??
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Accept this answer:
Chocolate and Vanilla.
There is no way that any one manufacturer will ever get it right for ALL users. Maybe they think that adding a somewhat functional harmonizer is better than none at all. Maybe if enough singers speak up (sing up?)... they will come on board and do it better, but to look for truth in a retail world is a fantasy, my friend. If it makes money ...... they will keep on selling it as is.
Treat it as what it IS:
A very good keyboard with some not-so-good added features. (Like all the rest)

eg:

Yamaha: Poor GM midi playback, and cheezy, small keys on psr line
Roland: virtually no entry in the high end market of today.
Ketron: poor allocation of polyphony
Korg: drum fills that sound like a new drummer sat in just for the fills
Technics: lackluster harmonizer
Casio: Still running to catch up to the pack. They started the whole thing, but stayed in the rear 9and the department stores)
Farfisa: good ideas, but missed the boat with function. Shoulda stuck to organs
Gem: no world wide acceptance. US Market has very little exposure to this line

Did I miss anyone's favorite brand?

#43049 - 09/29/03 08:21 AM Re: Vocalizer??
bruno123 Offline

Uncle Dave, I do appreciate your view, I think it's a good one.
Mine is a personal inquisitive question.
IMO, from reading this post, they would sell more keyboards with a good volz. I have a Studio Digitech vocalizer, so I do not have a problem with the KN7000.

I do accept what you're saying about enjoying and being happy, that's where it's at.---
But, I do have an inquisitive nature, it's part of my thinking, to make logic of things.
I have not lost any sleep over it, I'm just searching, I feel that's healthy, why not have the knowledge.

Uncle Dave, Life is good, no it's great.
Thanks for your reply, John C.

#43050 - 09/29/03 02:10 PM Re: Vocalizer??
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
maybe if they made a top quality vocalizer optional instead of including one that's apparently is not really suitable for professional use.
Maybe players requiring a vocalizer wouldn't baulk at the additional cost, for the added convenience of having an all in one unit.

If it was removeable ( like the expansion boards) and able to be used again in the latest model, that would be better still.

Probably not a feasible suggestion, but one never knows.

Some of us paid a fortune for the convenience of having an optional hard drive.
( me not included, I used to be happy with the floppies, as it was only for home use).

best wishes
rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#43051 - 09/29/03 04:47 PM Re: Vocalizer??
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
This is a quote from one of Alec's earlier posts...
"I know the yamaha vocalisers are good, but you must admit not as good as an external unit. To do the job properly you have to pay the licence fee for the chip, which yamaha do, rather than just use a dsp which is what technics have done. I suppose each makes a decision based on what their market thinks important. Technics attitude is probably that if you want the job done properly, hook up a digitech, we'll spend the money on sounds/screen/operating system, the things that our market go for?"

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#43052 - 09/30/03 11:33 AM Re: Vocalizer??
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
That's absolutely right! If Technics were to include programming to make my singing voice acceptable, the keyboards would cost as much as a new car. It would be cheaper to hire a vocalist. And, as I'm sitting here listening to the Eldorados (Lindoz & his partner), I fully understand what I will never be, even with all the electronics available: a singer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online