Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#443013 - 12/22/17 08:33 AM Re: To all you fence sitters... [Re: Stephenm52]
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By Stephenm52
Mike,

Nice job with your review/thoughts on Genos. No fence sitting here Genos is the arranger to beat now, pretty amazing. If you can afford it go for it, life is too short. Just this year I have 3 particular friends all my age (65-67 years old) all with heart problems. 2 had triple bypass, one of those 2 also has prostrate cancer, the third a heart patient had the LVAD pump device installed in his heart to keep him alive.......he needs to walk around with 2 battery packs to keep his ticker ticking without that power he’s as good as dead........as I say if you can afford it go for it life is too short.

Glad to see you jumped on board Stephen. I was coming from a Tyros 3 so I thought it might be time for an upgrade. The new DAC's on the Genos really give it that extra ummph if you know what I mean. Same thing occurred going from the Motif XF to the Montage. Plus basically all the Genos styles have been reworked and many of the voices themselves have also been re-sampled and improved from what I understand. Of course there's always room for improvement but suffice it to say Yamaha did an outstanding job with their new flagship arranger keyboard.

Oh and rumor has it there is going to be another firmware update soon according to a Yamaha representative. The Genos OS is a Linux distribution and it's running a new ARM processor so it's a new operating system that Yamaha really hasn't had much of an opportunity to delve into before the Genos was released from what I understand. So consequently there are a few bugs that need to be ironed out. One of those bugs I reported on was the Auto Shut Off feature shutting down my first Genos when it wasn't supposed to and subsequently the User drive became corrupted. I disabled it on my current Genos until hopefully Yamaha addresses the situation. I discussed this previously but I wanted to mention it again so other Genos owners are aware of the situation.

I'd like to see more Youtube videos comparing the Pa4x with the Genos. The first one by Hamilton Music in the U.K. wasn't comprehensive enough in my opinion. Korg Pa4x owners claim the Pa4x is better than the Genos sound wise but the proof is in the pudding as they say. cool Both are excellent keyboards but only one wins the trophy and in my opinion that is the Genos and that's not because I own a Genos that's because my ears don't lie. If the Pa4x was better sound wise I'd be the first one to admit it. As you know my past posts on this forum have not shied away from telling it like it is regardless of the brand. I don't mince words and I try to remain objective because if it turned out the Pa4x surpassed the Genos I would have said so and more importantly I would have gotten a Pa4x instead of the Genos. I'm glad I waited until the Genos arrived on the scene since it really was worth the wait. To each his own though. I respect Donnie and Uncle Dave's opinions I just happen to disagree with them. smile

All the best,

Mike

Edited by keybplayer (12/22/17 08:36 AM)

#443014 - 12/22/17 08:40 AM Re: To all you fence sitters... [Re: keybplayer]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Nobody prefaces their 'declaratives' with "In my opinion" anymore. Given the subjective nature of all things musical, maybe they should. Just sayin'.

chas

#443016 - 12/22/17 08:55 AM Re: To all you fence sitters... [Re: keybplayer]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By keybplayer
Korg Pa4x owners claim the Pa4x is better than the Genos sound wise but the proof is in the pudding as they say. cool Both are excellent keyboards but only one wins the trophy and in my opinion that is the Genos and that's not because I own a Genos that's because my ears don't lie. If the Pa4x was better sound wise I'd be the first one to admit it. ...
I respect Donnie and Uncle Dave's opinions I just happen to disagree with them. smile
All the best,
Mike

I will say it until my ears fall off - the beauty of ANYTHING lies in the senses of the beholder ... I will not hear, see, or even smell, exactly what someone else is experiencing because in some way, shape, or form, my sensory organs are going to differ from another persons ... I had a fine arts teacher tell me that only a very small percentage of people can look at a color and tell what other colors formed that one, therefore everyone sees colors differently ... hearing falls into a similar category in that people will hear different levels of highs, mids and lows ... so this whole debate about what keyboard sounds best ?!? - EVERYBODY is right, if it sounds best to them, because we don't know what they are hearing ...

I think Donny said a long time ago - Play what you love, Love what you play ... the rhetoric means nothing ... whatever means you use to do it, make beautiful music and share it with others ...

#443018 - 12/22/17 08:59 AM Re: To all you fence sitters... [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Actually, chas, Mike did say "in my opinion" which I give him credit for (not that he should be looking for MY approval wink ) and said he just disagrees with Uncle Dave and Donny ... at least he didn't say they were wrong ...
keys

#443020 - 12/22/17 09:08 AM Re: To all you fence sitters... [Re: keybplayer]
cgiles Offline

Yeah, I missed that. Sorry.

chas

#443026 - 12/22/17 11:46 AM Re: To all you fence sitters... [Re: keybplayer]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chas, isn't it their opinion of they say or type it? wink In this wonderful world of high speed, internet communications, there seems to be a huge number of opinions, and sometimes, even a few facts. smile Kinda hard, sometimes, to find the factual parts, though. wink

Merry Christmas,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#443032 - 12/22/17 01:25 PM Re: To all you fence sitters... [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Chas, isn't it their opinion of they say or type it? wink

Not necessarily Gary. An opinion is only valid for the one who states it (and those that agree with it) whereas a declarative is a statement of fact. Example; "In my opinion, Genos is the best arranger ever made" - opinion; "Genos is the best arranger ever made" - declarative.

In Mike's post, he DID say "in my opinion"; I just missed it and subsequently apologized. BUT, as you pointed out, with so many opinions and so few facts, maybe we should just assume that "in my opinion" is implied (instead of having to type it out); it'll save a lot of bandwidth smile.

chas

#443034 - 12/22/17 01:45 PM Re: To all you fence sitters... [Re: keybplayer]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yeah, I agree.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#443045 - 12/22/17 04:01 PM Re: To all you fence sitters... [Re: Taike]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Taike
It's German, not Dutch. Dutch is spoken in the Netherlands.

Hi
Definitely German, I could understand a fair bit of it.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online