SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#44336 - 01/23/02 11:01 AM PunchRecord Double Notes
Sissle Offline

Loc: USA - South Dakota
Hi To All,
This is my first attempt at Real Time Recording and Punch Recording, and I have a question. Let me set up the scenario: I have recorded a track of my song using just piano. On top of that I have added my other tracks with various instruments. However, when I recorded the piano track, my fingers weren't paying attention to the melody of the music and did their own thing --- alright, I admit, there were three places in the music that my fingers didn't mind! I went back and Punch Recorded over all three mistakes. One of the mistakes starts where I have a block chord on beat one in the bass. -- Keep in mind, the error was in the melody. Now when I play my song back, the notes in the melody are corrected, but at the beginning of the measure I hear that block chord played twice. First a quick chord, then the longer duration chord. I know that I can go in and edit it out, but wonder what caused this. Is it common when punch recording? Is it a timing issue where on the initial recording I was ahead of the beat to begin with? Can somebody explain this to me so I don't make the same mistake again?
Carol

[This message has been edited by Sissle (edited 01-23-2002).]

#44337 - 01/23/02 01:28 PM Re: PunchRecord Double Notes
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Carol
It's likely that when you pressed punch in, it was immediately after the chord you wanted to replace. Quite often with realtime recording we discover that we are not metronomes and that those notes we thought were on the first beat of a bar, are actually at the end of the previous bar. It might be worth checking this with step record & edit before deleting the erroneous notes.

#44338 - 01/23/02 03:05 PM Re: PunchRecord Double Notes
technicsplayer Offline

yes, choose a punch in point without any note overlap across the measure start.

the quick chord is your original playing, cut off quickly by the punch in measure, followed by your newly played chord.

easily edited out with the note edit page.

#44339 - 01/23/02 05:02 PM Re: PunchRecord Double Notes
Sissle Offline

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the prompt reply. That is what I suspected -- my original track that I recorded was slightly off the beat. Will now check much closer before I decide where my starting point is for Punch Recording.
Carol

#44340 - 01/23/02 11:55 AM Re: PunchRecord Double Notes
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Carol, remember also that it is a lot easier to do if you set up one of your pedals to do the punch in and keep both hands free.
BEBOP

------------------
BEBOP
Bill Forrest in SAN JOSE, CALIF. USA
bforrest@ix.netcom.com ICQ # 562519
Homepage http://members.fortunecity.com/bebop1
Moderator SynthZone TECHNICS FORUM
http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdi...=1000&SUBMIT=Go

#44341 - 01/23/02 05:14 PM Re: PunchRecord Double Notes
technicsplayer Offline

sorry, I think it is far easier to use auto on.

the in and out measures are then rock solid in advance and do not depend on any co-ordination with the feet, you can concentrate entirely on the new section of performance.

#44342 - 01/23/02 08:27 PM Re: PunchRecord Double Notes
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Carol
Whilst you are just finding your way with RealTime recording, you might try the cycle play facility. This allows you to hear (all tracks) one or more bars over & over, then clear the offending track, re record it and keep clearing and replaying until it's just how you want it.

[This message has been edited by John North (edited 01-23-2002).]

#44343 - 01/23/02 11:12 PM Re: PunchRecord Double Notes
Sissle Offline

Hi John, BEBOP & Technicsplayer,
Thanks for the cool suggestions. I will try them all. Also, Technicsplayer, I think your comment is also appropriate. I can already imagine that each method suggested will have its value depending upon the circumstances of what I want to edit. Can't tell you folks how much fun I am having recording in tracks! (Makes me wonder why I only used "Easy Record" previously.) Wow, the "special effects" you can add to a song when laying it down in tracks is really great! Am playing around with trills, bells, echos, etc. to fill in those long rests or add to the performance. Makes me wonder why anybody would spend their money on a regular piano! Carol

#44344 - 01/24/02 02:24 AM Re: PunchRecord Double Notes
Albertg Offline

Hi Carol,
Do you want to share your work with other Technics players, me for instance. Can you send me some of your home-recording products?

Greetings,
Albert.

#44345 - 01/24/02 02:45 AM Re: PunchRecord Double Notes
Sissle Offline

Hi Albertg,
Man, you are one brave fellow! I don't think you want to hear my playing. Nobody else does either! I play strictly with headphones -- even my hubby seldom gets to hear me play. I am just a lowly amateur at this music stuff. Couldn't play a note until 4 years ago when I started taking lessons. Maybe someday when I get really good, I will will have some music to offer this forum. Until then, I will continue learning from all you pros!
Carol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online