SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#45957 - 02/17/03 10:57 AM Re: KN7000 Modulation Wheel
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi AD.
On some Yamaha Organs (HX's and HS8'S) they had a slot provided for a second pedal alongside the swell pedal which performed the same function as the Modulation Wheel.
It was excellent add on when playing guitar pieces and also Big Band as you could similate the portamento slide of those instruments and was very effective as an ending to certain Big Band tunes.

Regards
P.B.
Quote:
Originally posted by Ad Rouw:
When playing a "natural" (or authentic) instrument, the player can influence the sound in regard to the possibilities from the instrument. You can add pitch bend to a guitar, vibrato to a violin, etc.
To make these instruments sound natural on a keyboard, we need some assistant "tools". First of all, play the sound in the range that the original instrument is capable of. You can add dynamic expression with touch sensitivity (and some with the expression pedal?). Furthermore you can use the pitch bend wheel. And last but not least you can use after touch and the modulation wheel to add effects like detune, panning, delay, filter, amplitude and pitch variations. When you look into SOUND EDIT -> CONTROLLER, you will see that available settings for after touch and modulation wheel are the same. The more you use the modulation wheel, the less likely you'll forget to check its status.
Just gan't figure out why Technics set the amplitude on the modulation wheel as the default.....
P.S. While I was typing this post Grandpa Doug responded. As you can read, I don't agree with him on the use of the wheel on the organ voices instead of a "swell" pedal. I prefer to keep my hand on the keys as much as possible, as I lack better playing skills.
Ad

[This message has been edited by Ad Rouw (edited 02-16-2003).]

#45958 - 02/17/03 10:58 AM Re: KN7000 Modulation Wheel
Anonymous
Unregistered

Doug n Ad,
Appreciate your replies. I will have to practice using the wheel with different instruments. Using auto rhythm does free the left hand.
Doug, with Francis for a name ,I am use to being mistaken for a female. My mother had two boys and was hoping for a girl when I came along, so she kept the name and changed the spelling.

cheers,

Fran (the man) in Florida

#45959 - 02/17/03 02:58 PM Re: KN7000 Modulation Wheel
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Fran, you have made me feel much better now. I was really feeling down in the dumps this morning after reading Marilyn’s chiding. Thanks for your kind understanding. I have done somewhat the same thing relative to ethnic things. I guess Ruthie is right when she says I should put my brain in gear before I start running my mouth. She also thinks I should do a little penance. Next time we go to Florida, we should stop in to see you and also Marilyn and take you all to dinner. I said, that ain’t penance, that would be fun. For awhile, she said, until you had to open up your wallet, you old tightwad and pay for it. I guess Ruthie knows me better than I think.

Grandpa Doug

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online