Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#459540 - 10/12/18 09:38 AM Re: PA1000 song by me [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Dnj
but who's to blame really?

I think WE are Donny, because we've allowed ourselves to become a culture of 'instant gratification', 'quick fixes', 'throw-away consumerism', 'A-I', 'Smart??phones', 'text vs talk mentality', etc., etc. Our cars stay in the lane by themselves and stop when we're about to hit something, so we really don't need to be as alert as we used to be -What!!!!!!?

Bottom line is, we no longer have to learn how to do things, we just need to learn how to push the button on the thing that ACTUALLY does the task. So "who's to blame really?", WE ARE! Finally we have conceded that (musically anyway) 'the end justifies the means'.

chas

I can't believe I am agreeing with you Chas for a second time in one day. wink Our generation has experienced more changes in such a short amount of lifetime years then any other in so many ways. At least we can tune out what we don't want and select what we enjoy in life including the type of music we play and listen too.
Hang in there your not alone. cool2

#459541 - 10/12/18 09:48 AM Re: PA1000 song by me [Re: DonM]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
NOTHING WRONG WITH A GOOD ARRANGER KEYBOARD. Play as arranger or play it with manual drums and bass or synth ect. That's the beauty of arrangers. Its a full toolbox Just pick the tool you need.
MEL

#459542 - 10/12/18 09:55 AM Re: PA1000 song by me [Re: cgiles]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Thank you Don Mason...for both coming out and asking for thoughts and critiques, and for receiving them with such grace.
You're a classy guy who deserves everybody's respect.

#459543 - 10/12/18 10:53 AM Re: PA1000 song by me [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By cgiles
how do I feel about that?

it just all seems to have been dampened by 'automation'. Is that the reason more and more people like you (and several others here) appear to be migrating back to acoustic instruments

Well for starters, I feel blessed that I still enjoy going to work each day. The tools have changed over the years, but my primary motivation is still the creative "conversations" I have with my audiences during a performance. Sure, the automation has affected it, like I mentioned .... it's a bit of a disconnect, but not totally.
Bottom line: I will sing until I no longer can, or no one will come listen ... whichever comes first.

With regard to playing more acoustic instruments ... since I now have the automated accompaniment, and prerecorded tracks, I have the freedom to add more of myself, and add some versatility to the sound. When I customize a track at home, I relate to being a painter - creating a piece of art for sale. I do the research - practice the craft - choose the medium - assemble the pieces, and produce the piece for final appreciation ... again, and again, and again.
Then I get to play along, and add my spontaneous "sauce" to the stew!

#459544 - 10/12/18 10:55 AM Re: PA1000 song by me [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

So now what no keyboard?
Just sing and play against backing tracks? Or?

#459546 - 10/12/18 11:04 AM Re: PA1000 song by me [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
So now what no keyboard?

No, no, no. As I said a little earlier, he kb is my Command Central. It allows me to navigate all my media with live recourses. It's there when I need it, or want it. Generally, 4 nights a week I never use tracks until the second set, when all the guests artists begin to sit in. That first set is my favorite ... whatever I feel like. A lot of LH bass, rhythm, and Rhodes.

For outside jobs the KB stays home, and I use the ipad and my voice ... and sometimes banjo and sax.

#459547 - 10/12/18 11:06 AM Re: PA1000 song by me [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Remember this little portable (even battery powered, if needed) rig?

Attachments
IMG_8468.jpg (32 downloads)
IMG_8469.jpg (27 downloads)

#459548 - 10/12/18 11:21 AM Re: PA1000 song by me [Re: sparky589]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By sparky589
Thank you Don Mason...for both coming out and asking for thoughts and critiques, and for receiving them with such grace.
You're a classy guy who deserves everybody's respect.

That's what I keep telling my wife! smile
Thanks Sparky. You are very kind.

#459550 - 10/12/18 11:35 AM Re: PA1000 song by me [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By Dnj
So now what no keyboard?

For outside jobs the KB stays home, and I use the ipad and my voice ... and sometimes banjo and sax.

No shame going DJ style out there

....sometimes the passion & act needs some tweaking as long as the audiences enjoy your act in what ever way it is accomplished good luck!

Edited by Dnj (10/12/18 11:35 AM)

#459553 - 10/12/18 12:21 PM Re: PA1000 song by me [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
No shame going DJ style

I prefer to think of it as "front man" style. I orchestrate my show just the same as when there were other musicians with me, and I was out front connecting with the audience. I don't categorize it as DJ mode when I'm singing, and emceeing every number. No shame to DJs, but my approach (as many of my competitors embrace) is as an interactive host, who sings, and regulates the pulse of the room. Semantics? Maybe ... but it makes me feel more creative.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online