SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#460033 - 10/21/18 07:07 AM Computer Question
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have a Dell Inspiron that I have used for my main pc for ten years. It runs on Win7 and is well maintained, but how long can I trust it running 10-12 hours a day.

I have copied data, incl mp3, midis, etc to an ext HD, but some programs like my Universal style converter cannot be copied over. I have laptops that I can put into service if necessary. The short of it is whether or not to save my Dell until I need it.

Bernie

#460035 - 10/21/18 07:18 AM Re: Computer Question [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Time for a MAC? confused1

Pc's are becoming throw away items today...
good luck Bernie.

#460038 - 10/21/18 07:27 AM Re: Computer Question [Re: Bernie9]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Bernie9
I have a Dell Inspiron that I have used for my main pc for ten years. It runs on Win7 and is well maintained, but how long can I trust it running 10-12 hours a day.

I have copied data, incl mp3, midis, etc to an ext HD, but some programs like my Universal style converter cannot be copied over. I have laptops that I can put into service if necessary. The short of it is whether or not to save my Dell until I need it.

Bernie

If it ain't broke..... don't fix it...

#460041 - 10/21/18 07:30 AM Re: Computer Question [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Thanks Fran, but does that mean keep it running until it drops dead?

#460044 - 10/21/18 07:39 AM Re: Computer Question [Re: Bernie9]
Bernie9 Offline

Pc's are becoming throw away items today...
good luck Bernie

Donny, I grant you the machines, per se are, but the contents is a different story. Macs are fine for people that have always used them, but mine are Windows based, and I am not throwing the baby out with the bath water.

#460060 - 10/21/18 09:20 AM Re: Computer Question [Re: Bernie9]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Back up a Windows 7-based computer
Click Start, type backup in the Start Search box, and then click Backup and Restore in the Programs list. ...
Under Back up or restore your files, click Set up backup.
Select where you want to save your backup, and then click Next.

Something you might try Bernie
jingleman

#460062 - 10/21/18 09:28 AM Re: Computer Question [Re: Bernie9]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Bernie, if you can't get some of your 'go-to' programs to work under Windows 10, you may have to go for an upgrade or even a functional replacement that will work under Windows 10. But the point is, you should absolutely upgrade EVERYTHING to Windows 10. The longer you delay, the more obsolete and difficult to replace everything becomes. At some point, you're going to feel the pain (of conversion), might as well do it now while everything is still working (as opposed to trying to recover from a disaster).

chas

#460065 - 10/21/18 09:59 AM Re: Computer Question [Re: Bernie9]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3034527/windows/restore-a-windows-7-backup-in-windows-10.html

Bernie, this article might explain how to load a Windows 7 backup into a Windows 10 machine.

I agree that upgrading to a Windows 10 machine is the smart money. Microsoft states that Windows 10 is their final incarnation of Windows, and it will be bi-annual updates from here on.

#460068 - 10/21/18 10:11 AM Re: Computer Question [Re: Bernie9]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Bernie:

I never "expose" my Music Recording PC to the internet... at least not directly. Memory sticks are vulnerable to viruses, too... but only momentarily.

Do you mean that you keep your Win 7 machine turned-on and running all the time? Is it exposed to a network or a wi-fi system? Are your personal files and data on this machine? I would begin to turn it off when not in use. Trust nothing on the net... especially since you are using Windows (no matter what version) because they are the biggest target for hackers, scammers and little creeps who enjoy ruining things.

Eventually, I hope you will consider exploring Linux Cinnamon Mint. It has a graphical user interface and is free and well maintained.

#460069 - 10/21/18 10:18 AM Re: Computer Question [Re: Bernie9]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I NEVER turn off my computer. It has been running constantly for something like five years. Only time it gets turned off is when it is rebooting for updates or if I go out of town for several days. Maybe if there is a lot of lightening in the area, I'll unplug it, but very rarely.
I'm a firm believer that it is better for electronics to remain on than to turn them on and off all the time. My Yamaha mixer on my PC has not been turned off in six or seven years.
The light bulbs in the house that are turned off and on several times a day need replacing often. I have three that never get turned off. One in master bathroom, one in my office closet and one in the garage. No new bulbs needed in five years. Ten years on the one in the garage.
Regarding the PC. I haven't had a virus in years. Windows 10 has a great built-in firewall too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online