Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#463328 - 12/17/18 02:16 PM Re: Barry Harris on Jazz Theory [Re: Riceroni9]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Originally Posted By Riceroni9
Hi Tracy:

Like Donny, I watched about five minutes and decided I know just enough to be dangerous... LOL! Thanks for sharing. Jazz in most of it's styles and formats is always enjoyable. We don't get much out here in West Mayberry but there is always hope.

Have a great Christmas, ----Dave

You're welcome Dave. As I mentioned, most of what he says is certainly over my head but I'm always trying to learn and I really like theory. I have watched probably 10-15 of his videos now and it is amazing what he knows. He still runs workshops at age 89. One interesting thing is he apparently thinks that John Coltrane, Miles Davis and Herbie Hancock are not "real" jazz or at least that they have "sold out" in some form. Reminds me in a way about the debate over traditional country music and the current crop. So Harris is somewhat controversial.

#463330 - 12/17/18 03:37 PM Re: Barry Harris on Jazz Theory [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Tracy,

This is good stuff but a little over my head too I'm with Donny and Dave. I only regret there wasn't You Tube during those years when I was learning piano. Thanks for posting.

#463335 - 12/17/18 03:54 PM Re: Barry Harris on Jazz Theory [Re: Stephenm52]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Originally Posted By Stephenm52
Tracy,

This is good stuff but a little over my head too I'm with Donny and Dave. I only regret there wasn't You Tube during those years when I was learning piano. Thanks for posting.

You're welcome Stephen. Yes, imagine if we had youtube "back in the day' where we would be now.

#463342 - 12/17/18 04:43 PM Re: Barry Harris on Jazz Theory [Re: W Tracy Parnell]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By W Tracy Parnell
imagine if we had youtube "back in the day' where we would be now.

Same spot. Remember, those more talented than us would have Youtube too smile smile.

chas

#463343 - 12/17/18 04:44 PM Re: Barry Harris on Jazz Theory [Re: cgiles]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles

Same spot. Remember, those more talented than us would have Youtube too smile smile.

chas

Good point! smile

#463351 - 12/17/18 05:12 PM Re: Barry Harris on Jazz Theory [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By cgiles

chas

I hear you, chas, ... But same spot perhaps relative to those more talented, but perhaps not relative to ourselves ... a couple of my grandkids have learned a fair amount of guitar chords from youtube, without the 'hassle' or expense of going to a music studio for lessons ... Not that I subscribe to this method, having been taught and subsequently been a teacher in a music studio ...

Let's face it - people who WANT to learn, find a way ...

Edited by tony mads usa (12/17/18 05:13 PM)
Edit Reason: Grammar

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online