SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#465424 - 01/29/19 11:28 PM comments on Andre Rieu?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I've been familiar with Andre Rieu already. But last week in a nursing home as I was packing up they put on the video of him doing a live concert in Venice. The streets were packed on his arrival, they drove him around the town in a limousine to show him off, the "stadium" where he played was massive with probably more audience than the Super Bowl has here.

I was really impressed this time around...never saw the peripheral happenings other than the show itself. This man is more revered than the Pope.

So I came home and read more about him and watched more of his videos to try and figure WHY!

MY answer is he plays "basic" music, smooth and silky a la Lawrence Welk, the way music should be played if you're entertaining. A smooth melody line seems to be his common denominator. And he picks music that has a proven track record. Everyone recognizes everything he plays.

And then there's the show itself. It's an absolute extravaganza. Probably a multi-million dollar business. Is it a great example of how people listen with their eyes?

My own M.O. has always been give the people what they want and in a way they understand it. And present songs that 95% of your audience will know.

I'm into what I call "the psychology of entertaining an audience." What are YOUR OWN opinions on why this man is so popular. And, more important....why is he so popular when he plays in the U.S. also?

Mark

#465425 - 01/30/19 01:45 AM Re: comments on Andre Rieu? [Re: Mark79100]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Because just like the late James Last he entertains, plus it has always been quite common for European bands to do well in the US in their respective sectors.

Bill

#465429 - 01/30/19 02:32 AM Re: comments on Andre Rieu? [Re: Mark79100]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Mark,
Simple, the shows are spectacular.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#465431 - 01/30/19 06:10 AM Re: comments on Andre Rieu? [Re: rikkisbears]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
Hi Mark...I have followed Many of His Music Presentations On Public Broadcasting Here in the US....Amazing to say the least...What I always Like to see is the Focus is not on Himself only, but Many Gifted Singers and Musicians...When I see the Music connecting to those in Attendance with Fun, Smiles and Tears You Can do No Better...It's Total Success with Ones Dreams...People are crying out for Good Clean entertainment. The World is a Mess in My Opinion...Just Look at our Government at this Time ...Thank You for Posting this Subject...Sincerely Harold

#465432 - 01/30/19 06:34 AM Re: comments on Andre Rieu? [Re: Mark79100]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada

There is always audience participation. Also, many are older folk, and remember these older songs, making them relive their youth.

My 3 cents (the Canadian dollar is lower than the U.S.s). smile

#465434 - 01/30/19 06:47 AM Re: comments on Andre Rieu? [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Reminded me of Liberace. Over the top shows and great audience contact. He gets people involved and he surrounds himself with top quality preformers.

#465437 - 01/30/19 07:00 AM Re: comments on Andre Rieu? [Re: Mark79100]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Living out on the prairie... we don't get many "big shows" such as this... but it is entertainment... and that involves big bucks. The audience certainly seems to be "included" in all the hoopla leading up to the event... and that is always a good thing.

I also noticed the age of the audience included many, many more middle age fans that one would expect here in the "states."

I also doubt if most American audiences would recognize a couple of the tunes I heard as I briefly watched the video. We are becoming musically illiterate over here, unfortunately.

Thanks for sharing. Great stuff.

#465455 - 01/30/19 09:14 AM Re: comments on Andre Rieu? [Re: Riceroni9]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I've been a fan for a long time and have been to one of his shows. I appreciate his love for beautiful music and he has found a way to keep it alive. I believe his success lies in bringing classical/semi-classical music to the "common folk" where it had previously been reserved for the "black tie only" set. Of course this is not the only music he plays. But attending a concert featuring Viennesse music in casual clothing and dancing in the aisles would be an outrage to the traditional classical crowd who often criticize him.
The music has always been out there but he has found a way to bring it to the masses in a way that gets their attention, inviting them in instead of shutting them out (with a lot of help from PBS). I am grateful he's done this.

Rico does a cover of one of his medleys on youtube here
Rico- Strauss & Co.

Edited by sparky589 (01/30/19 10:50 AM)

#465456 - 01/30/19 09:22 AM Re: comments on Andre Rieu? [Re: Mark79100]
Crossover Offline

There is also a Dutch music comedian active in Germany, Hans Liberg, and I‘ve seen a video of him titled „Classical music takes too long“.
That‘s part of it. André Rieu takes account of the audience‘s lacking classical music education and patience and breaks it down into easily consumable chunks, integrated in an entertaining show.
He won‘t earn the respect of classical musicians, but that‘s not his target group, so why not, he entertains his specific audience.

#465457 - 01/30/19 09:27 AM Re: comments on Andre Rieu? [Re: sparky589]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I agree with all of the positive statements made above and perhaps the most important one is "he entertains his specific audience" ... which he obviously does ... but FOR ME, shows like his, Yanni, The Celtic Woman, Trans Siberian Orchestra, while demonstrating a certain amount of talent, are more about form over substance ...
the men with the good looks and long flowing hair are, as Gary would say "playing for the ladies", and the beautiful young women are "playing for the men" ... and while I haven't seen it in Andre Rieu's show - although I haven't watched many either - so many of these shows incorporate spectacular light and pyrotechnics displays, that for me take away from the performances ...
But, again, this is JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION which obviously is in the minority by a wide margin ...

Edited by tony mads usa (01/30/19 09:39 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online