SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#467061 - 03/06/19 06:52 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By GlennT
"Getting your foot in the door" says it all, at least as far as getting past square one. A very successful college football coach once said, regarding recuiting talented players, "get them to visit our facility/campus, we'll do the rest" His recuiting success rate with those players was excellent because he not only had the "entire package", but knew how to show it and sell it. The analogy... as an entertainer, of course one must have the "entire package", which covers a lot. It includes your music, showmanship, personality, and confidence that you can do it. And only then does it make sense to even go after square one.

The audience will determine if you have what it takes if you get that far....if I'm being brutally honest.. unfortunately many think they do but don't.

#467063 - 03/06/19 07:07 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Stephenm52]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
[quote=Stephenm52]Not right on Glenn’s topic but seems relevant about line dancing .

What I’ve seen here in the Villages Florida. There are 3 town squares and every evening (unless rainy) from 5 to 9 they have live bands or singers using backing tracks. There are a couple of outstanding bands but I have never seen the dance floors/fields/brick concrete squares more more packed than when Scooter the DJ is performing. He really gets the audience involved, from what I’ve read he is one of the highest paid entertainers here.

https://www.scooterthedj.com

So please enlighten us as to what he does that makes him so special. I'd love to see him in person and learn. From the pictures I see he gets involved with the audience, big Mickey Mouse hands and all but what are some of his other "Bits" that work.

#467064 - 03/06/19 07:11 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
"Just sitting there playing an arranger kb isn't gonna cut it anymore if you wanna exist you need to really amp it up for many reasons if not the train will leave you at the station. "

Amen to that ! Definatly true if you want to do parties.

#467065 - 03/06/19 07:40 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
"Just sitting there playing an arranger kb isn't gonna cut it anymore if you wanna exist you need to really amp it up for many reasons if not the train will leave you at the station. "

Amen to that ! Definitely true if you want to do parties.

get your chicken hat & YMCA costumes ready!! wink

#467081 - 03/06/19 11:16 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Damn, I MISS that stinky old chicken hat!

Russ (cluck, cluck) Lay

#467098 - 03/06/19 04:16 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Dnj]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Originally Posted By Dnj

I saw it coming years ago and now it is ALL coming true.
Just sitting there playing an arranger kb isn't gonna cut it anymore if you wanna exist you need to really amp it up for many reasons if not the train will leave you at the station. Or you could just play in your bedroom and enjoy music with headphones on nothing wrong with that, ..
it may sound grim what is happening out there but it is reality sorry to say.

I have to side with Donny at this point. Everything changes- nothing changes back.

I grew up with a love for playing many kinds of music. Later in life I found audiences who appreciated the same music and found I could make money sharing it. It was always about the music first and the show second for me. I was not unsuccessful at it as my music served a specific audience (many first generation Europeans) who enjoyed the music of their homelands, But they have aged and I just today received the notice of another's passing, which seem to come weekly. I've always mixed other music as not to limit myself.
I don't see a profit moving to the nursing home circuit at this point; I've always done 3-5 hour gigs and going to one hour pay for moving close to the same amount of stuff and travel doesn't cut it, not to mention everything written here about it.
I've suffered losses- original band members to illness, and perhaps most of all, several people who were the original and perpetual inspiration for me to continue.
I don't plan to stop playing but my public performances are in their last days. You have to know when its time to get out.

I've known performers whose egos have prevented them from realizing its time to quit, who can't understand why nobody hires them anymore, and are privately ridiculed. I never want to be that guy.

Edited by sparky589 (03/07/19 07:28 AM)

#467101 - 03/06/19 05:07 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Bill Lewis]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
[quote=Stephenm52]Not right on Glenn’s topic but seems relevant about line dancing .

What I’ve seen here in the Villages Florida. There are 3 town squares and every evening (unless rainy) from 5 to 9 they have live bands or singers using backing tracks. There are a couple of outstanding bands but I have never seen the dance floors/fields/brick concrete squares more more packed than when Scooter the DJ is performing. He really gets the audience involved, from what I’ve read he is one of the highest paid entertainers here.

https://www.scooterthedj.com

So please enlighten us as to what he does that makes him so special. I'd love to see him in person and learn. From the pictures I see he gets involved with the audience, big Mickey Mouse hands and all but what are some of his other "Bits" that work.

Bill, He gets the audience participating and in a BIG way!! So it’s all about audience participation. Whether you’re an old timer or your grand children are here visiting many get up to dance. We happened to catch him during February school vacation. In all honesty we did not like him but we are not party/dance people.

At the time he was playing we were having dinner on the outdoor patio of a nearby restaurant. All we heard was heavy thumping bass and drums, both my wife and I thought what is that crap the band is playing. We were surprised to see that it was a Dj.

Guess I’m showing signs of being 67. On the other hand last Friday night we saw Blood Sweat & Tears at a venue on site, now that was a great show.

#467103 - 03/06/19 05:15 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Stephenm52
... we saw Blood Sweat & Tears at a venue on site, now that was a great show.

"
... spinning wheel got to go round ..."
rocker

#467104 - 03/06/19 05:42 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Originally Posted By Stephenm52
... we saw Blood Sweat & Tears at a venue on site, now that was a great show.

"
... spinning wheel got to go round ..."
rocker

rotfl

#467108 - 03/06/19 06:16 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Got to see BST a few years ago at a festival in Shreveport. They were outstanding!

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online