SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 11 12 >
Topic Options
#471774 - 06/26/19 12:32 PM Re: Nothing wrong with Arranger keyboards.... [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
....if you can play. Yeah, I know that most of you already know about this guy but every time I listen to him it just re-enforces Paul's signature note, "It's not the keyboard, it's the musician" (or words to that effect). Forget the usual complaints; "it sounds too robotic", or "it's too repetitive", etc., etc. Nothing robotic or repetitive about this performance. As someone pointed out earlier, there's nothing wrong with a rock-solid precision beat; YOU can supply the syncopation that gives it it's 'groove'.

The lesson here, as far as I'm concerned, is, in every performance, put the emphasis on what YOU'RE doing, not on what the Arranger is doing. Make what the Arranger is doing a STARTING POINT. YOU add the 'special sauce'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQJr0hklTjw

chas

WOW!! Now I wonder why my Pa4x doesn’t sound like that when I play ( never mind I know why) smile smile

#471779 - 06/26/19 02:13 PM Re: Nothing wrong with Arranger keyboards.... [Re: cgiles]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Let’s not use this guy to judge arranger keyboards. If you give him two pots, a garbage can and a hum-a-zoo, and he will still sound great.

Chas, I agree with most of what you said, but some of us need a little help from our keyboards. I would say 75% player and 25% keyboard.
I used two pots, a garbage can and a hum-a-zoo, and played for two hours and got nowhere. (smile)

John C.

#471781 - 06/26/19 03:48 PM Re: Nothing wrong with Arranger keyboards.... [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The one thing Chas and I agree on is that most arranger keyboard players know very little about the OS and features that came with their keyboard. Fortunately, there are some great forums such as this one and the PSR Tutorial forum where you can get answers to your questions simply by asking.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#471784 - 06/26/19 04:00 PM Re: Nothing wrong with Arranger keyboards.... [Re: bruno123]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By bruno123

I used two pots, a garbage can and a hum-a-zoo, and played for two hours and got nowhere. (smile)

John C.

That's because you used a PLASTIC garbage can, John; you gotta use METAL. METAL is the only way to go smile. Oh, and those POTS; you got the wrong information. It's not POTS, it's just POT; and you're supposed to smoke it, not play it. The audience may not like your performance but YOU will smile.

The advice found in my posts is always free.

chas

#471830 - 06/27/19 08:29 AM Re: Nothing wrong with Arranger keyboards.... [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I'll never be an "arranger keyboard player"
I'm a musician/singer/entertainer, and I sometimes use arranger keyboards as a tool to provide accompaniment for my show. I also use many other instruments, like guitar, banjo, uke, sax, Rhodes, and real pianos ... "arranger player" is just not the right way to describe what I do. The kb is just something that I USE, not something that defines me, or my style.
Rant over.
(whew)

#471835 - 06/27/19 08:42 AM Re: Nothing wrong with Arranger keyboards.... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
I'll never be an "arranger keyboard player"
I'm a musician/singer/entertainer, and I sometimes use arranger keyboards as a tool to provide accompaniment for my show. I also use many other instruments, like guitar, banjo, uke, sax, Rhodes, and real pianos ... "arranger player" is just not the right way to describe what I do. The kb is just something that I USE, not something that defines me, or my style.
Rant over.
(whew)

That's all well and good Dave but there is in many circles an underlying bad vibe "shame stigma"
within pro musicians that never goes away, frown
....mentioning that someone is an arranger kb player is becoming almost as bad as saying the K-Word sofa ...
I don't agree & appreciate all art forms especially music.
Maybe we need an Arranger KB Pride Day!!!

Edited by Dnj (06/27/19 08:53 AM)

#471838 - 06/27/19 08:50 AM Re: Nothing wrong with Arranger keyboards.... [Re: cgiles]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
I am from the complete opposite extreme. Because I am not at all so talented, I've learned to use all the bells and whistles on my arrangers to the max efect. I am not even ashamed to think of myself as mostly a button pusher. Let the technology work for me - I paid a lot for it and it can do most things much better than I ever could. I absolutely love automation and an arranger is as close as it happens in the musical world!

I guess I am as close to an arranger player as they come. I do PLAY mine (buttons and all) and never use midi for any live performance.

#471841 - 06/27/19 09:31 AM Re: Nothing wrong with Arranger keyboards.... [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I no longer hear much about the "stigma". And ordinary musicians around here are not even familiar with the term "arranger". They are used to hearing, and using, recorded tracks and playing and/or singing with them, so most assume that's what I'm doing.
The good news is that they can't get my job, hard as some of them try. smile

#471842 - 06/27/19 09:38 AM Re: Nothing wrong with Arranger keyboards.... [Re: Dnj]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By Dnj

....mentioning that someone is an arranger kb player is becoming almost as bad as saying the[b] K-Word

Karaoke singers are far more common, and possibly more popular than "arranger players" ... of which I'm neither,
... but I employ both skills to my financial, and creative benefit as the need arises in this changing entertainment marketplace.

#471843 - 06/27/19 09:40 AM Re: Nothing wrong with Arranger keyboards.... [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm an arranger keyboard player. That's why I'm on this forum.

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online