SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12 >
Topic Options
#471726 - 06/26/19 05:15 AM Nothing wrong with Arranger keyboards....
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
....if you can play. Yeah, I know that most of you already know about this guy but every time I listen to him it just re-enforces Paul's signature note, "It's not the keyboard, it's the musician" (or words to that effect). Forget the usual complaints; "it sounds too robotic", or "it's too repetitive", etc., etc. Nothing robotic or repetitive about this performance. As someone pointed out earlier, there's nothing wrong with a rock-solid precision beat; YOU can supply the syncopation that gives it it's 'groove'.

The lesson here, as far as I'm concerned, is, in every performance, put the emphasis on what YOU'RE doing, not on what the Arranger is doing. Make what the Arranger is doing a STARTING POINT. YOU add the 'special sauce'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQJr0hklTjw

chas

#471729 - 06/26/19 06:43 AM Re: Nothing wrong with Arranger keyboards.... [Re: cgiles]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Well said Chas

Whether or not you are into jazz fusion, or whatever, any musician has to applaud this young man's skill in this presentation. I can't believe there were two thumbs down.

Thanks for sharing
Bernie

#471730 - 06/26/19 06:44 AM Re: Nothing wrong with Arranger keyboards.... [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

saw this guy so many times in the past posts great player.....
I think he works for Roli now?..

in no way is he an inspiration for myself.....
I think the main message here is just play your own way
with what you want to use and enjoy music.
An arranger KB is just what it says..
"Arrange the Music" YOUR WAY.
Don't worry what others think, say, or do....
absorb from all sources and continue the musical journey.
Think of what's next arrangers won't be here for ever.

Edited by Dnj (06/26/19 07:18 AM)

#471735 - 06/26/19 07:01 AM Re: Nothing wrong with Arranger keyboards.... [Re: cgiles]
girljam Offline

Loc: FL
Ditto on all of the above . . . The beauty of the arranger is that you can play it YOUR way, with your style and your personal touch, or NOT!
I have truly enjoyed all the arrangers that I have owned (and still own), and I truly love bringing them to life, as it were, with my own brand of musical stylings . . .
It puts a smile on my face every day . . . .

PSR S970, PSR S910, ShureSM57 mics, and way too much misc.

#471757 - 06/26/19 09:55 AM Re: Nothing wrong with Arranger keyboards.... [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
....if you can play. Yeah, I know that most of you already know about this guy but every time I listen to him it just re-enforces Paul's signature note, "It's not the keyboard, it's the musician" (or words to that effect). Forget the usual complaints; "it sounds too robotic", or "it's too repetitive", etc., etc. Nothing robotic or repetitive about this performance. As someone pointed out earlier, there's nothing wrong with a rock-solid precision beat; YOU can supply the syncopation that gives it it's 'groove'.

The lesson here, as far as I'm concerned, is, in every performance, put the emphasis on what YOU'RE doing, not on what the Arranger is doing. Make what the Arranger is doing a STARTING POINT. YOU add the 'special sauce'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQJr0hklTjw

chas

So many live controls on the Korgs. I've watched this before, but every time I pick up some ideas for techniques and arrangements, not that I play like that, but still there are a lot of good ideas.
He used straight style, chord sequencer, manual bass, full pianist mode, standard arranger mode, various keyboard sets (sounds), joystick, programmable buttons, touch strip and the sliders to bring in or mute style parts.

#471763 - 06/26/19 10:18 AM Re: Nothing wrong with Arranger keyboards.... [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
WOW!

R.

#471764 - 06/26/19 10:26 AM Re: Nothing wrong with Arranger keyboards.... [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Yeah Don. That's what I forgot to include in my original post; KNOW YOUR INSTRUMENT and learn how to get the most out of it.

chas

#471768 - 06/26/19 10:43 AM Re: Nothing wrong with Arranger keyboards.... [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Yeah Don. That's what I forgot to include in my original post; KNOW YOUR INSTRUMENT and learn how to get the most out of it.

chas

I get nothing out of watching somebody play like that knowing that 99% of people can't do that.... I'd rather see somebody play like the Layman if you know what I mean cool2

#471769 - 06/26/19 11:00 AM Re: Nothing wrong with Arranger keyboards.... [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Well, mr. 'gloom & doom', what are you going to learn from someone who plays on your same level? I think I'll stick with Don's approach. BUT.....to each his own.

chas

#471770 - 06/26/19 11:03 AM Re: Nothing wrong with Arranger keyboards.... [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Well, mr. 'gloom & doom', what are you going to learn from someone who plays on your same level? I think I'll stick with Don's approach. BUT.....to each his own.

chas

Oh you are so wrong I have learned many things from other players everybody does it different you can absorb all kinds of tricks and tips it doesn't have to be some fancy-schmancy guy there is so much talent out there I learned the song Besame Mucho from watching a guy play a battery-powered casio keyboard in the 42nd Street Times Square train station when I was a kid, .... great talent is everywhere you just have to look for it and open your mind...

Edited by Dnj (06/26/19 12:44 PM)

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online