SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47443 - 11/13/02 03:47 AM SD CARD TUTORIAL
technicsplayer Offline

Here is how to create an SD card on the computer from your disks using a card reader without using the KN7000. Then how to archive all your long file name files after you have saved them on the 7k and restore them in any order you want to larger SD cards.

First of all format your new, blank SD card in the KN7000.
Press SD, Press SD TOOLS, Press FORMAT, confirm with YES. You have an option of naming the card for reference, press OK.
Now Exit to Home Screen, Press SD again, Press SAVE, Press Technics Format, Press SAVE again.

Transfer the SD card to the card reader, plug in the USB and then open My Computer. The card reader should be the last drive letter on your computer system. Open the drive letter and you will see a folder called Private.
Open the Private folder and you will see a folder called Technics.
Open the Technics folder and you will see a folder called Kn7000.
Open the Kn7000 folder and delete the file Kn7000mn.inf.
Now open the Tfld001 folder and delete all the contents.

You can now copy the contents of any KN6500, KN6000, KN5000, KN3000 or KN2000 disks to this Tfld001 folder on the computer, do NOT use files you have renamed on the KN7000. The maximum number of files allowed in any Tfld folder is 20, the same as on floppy disk. It is possible to fill the card with this method. For further disks just create new folders Tfld002, Tfld003, Tfld004 etc all inside the KN7000 folder.

If you dowmload the complete presets of Kn5000, Kn3000 etc from www.technicskn7000.com (those named 'various' full custom (AST) files) you can download them direct into TfldXXX folders on the card.

If you have a multiple file renamer, like my favourite, CkRename, you can re-number a 1 - 10 disk to 11 - 20 easily and fill folders easily.

All the files will appear and load in the SD menu with their original KN filenames, and you can create and fill as many folders as the SD card can hold.

However once you have re-saved any one file on the KN7000 you can no longer use this method without a hex editor since any new files transferred via the card reader after you have saved on the KN7000 are no longer seen in the Load display. This is a fast method of filling a new SD card with files archived from your previous keyboards or from retail floppy disks, an enormous saving in time compared to using copy from floppy and the copy function in SD tools menu.

Now you can load and save each file on the 7k and rename as you see fit.

Go back to the KN7000 folder you will see the Tfld001 folder and any other TfldXXX folders you have created.
Create a new folder in the KN7000 folder called Custom.
Open the Custom folder.
Drag and drop any Single Custom (CST) files here to the Custom folder. You can search on the 7000.com site for the specific styles you need, download them... directly to the SD card if you wish, ready for instant load in the Custom section. There you can compare and make your choice of optimum style easily.

Single Custom Drag 'n' Drop with the card reader can be performed at any time on any card, even after you have saved other files on the KN7000. Rather than copy hundreds of Single Custom files, I copy 40 or 60 at a time, arrange and save my Full Customs, then delete the contents of the Custom folder on the card and copy a new batch. This minimises the scrolling needed in the CUSTOM STYLE LOAD/SAVE menu on the left of the SD menu screen.

You should backup every few sets of folders in Song Manager. Why?
Because all your long file names are kept intact. You can then merge backups in any folder order you choose. I backed up each set of folders rather than the whole 8 MB card, then I not only had an idea of what size larger cards were needed but can also create any larger cards with long file names in any folder order I want in a matter of minutes.
This was all done on the 8 MB card before I bought any other cards.

Open Song Manager with your card in the reader or 7k.
SD manage menu
SD backup, name your backup and save.
SD - restore, the steps are obvious.
SD - Merge - the first backup will appear in folder order with the second backup following on from the first backups folder order with any long file names created on the 7k intact.

You can then do multiple merges each with the computer created backup of the previous merge, to fill for instance a 128 MB card with files and folders that were all created on the 8 MB card.
Use the card reader for backups and restore, much faster than the 7k.

Personally I renamed all my files on the laptop using a hex editor on the Kn7000mn.inf file so I did not need to do it on the 7k.

More will follow in the book...

#47444 - 11/13/02 05:05 AM Re: SD CARD TUTORIAL
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Many Thanks Alec - excellent advice as usual

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#47445 - 11/13/02 12:47 PM Re: SD CARD TUTORIAL
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Norrie:
Many Thanks Alec - excellent advice as usual

And what a brilliant way to answer the sceptics in other threads and show in writing what great ADVANTAGES there actually are.
Some try to put you down Alec but once again you prove how to rise above them.

#47446 - 11/13/02 04:53 PM Re: SD CARD TUTORIAL
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Thanks Alex,
Keep it coming. We appreciate your effort.
Walt

#47447 - 11/14/02 05:22 AM Re: SD CARD TUTORIAL
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Hey Alec (Alex), Great piece of work for us all. You mention "the book" at the end of your message. What? When? Where? We desperately need additional help to supplement the 7000 manual! Hope this is it! Thanks for all the input you keep providing us here on the Forum and elsewhere! We certainly DO appreciate it; (I know I do!!!)

Ted

#47448 - 11/14/02 06:42 AM Re: SD CARD TUTORIAL
Anonymous
Unregistered

I must assume many of you did not purchase the 6/6500 Manual. Excellent guide and much still applies to the 7000. I want to add the 7000 Manual to my reference library. It is a must have item. Write fast Alec.

Fran in Florida

#47449 - 11/14/02 10:29 AM Re: SD CARD TUTORIAL
Walt Tenay Offline

Loc: Rutherfordton, NC
Hi Fran,

For those that want more information about
Alec Pagida's How do I do Than extended manual
they can go to:

(http://www.keynotepublications.com)

You can also download a slide show to play on your KN6000/KN6500 about the extended manual. Many of the procedures explained in the extended manual will also work on the KN7000.

This manual is distributed and marketed by
world wide by: Keynote Publications, 364 Bethel Drive, Conway SC 29526 USA.

We have a limitied number of copies left from
our fourth and final printing for $29.95. Once there are gone that is it. There are no plans for a 5th printing. Join the others from the US, US Virgin Islands, Canada, Germany, Sweden, Norway, Mexico, Argentina, Australia, Austria, UK, Puerto Rico, New Zealand, Netherlands, Pourtugal, Spain, Switzerland, and a host of other countries that have bought the extended manual.

Walt Tenay

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran in Florida:
I must assume many of you did not purchase the 6/6500 Manual. Excellent guide and much still applies to the 7000. I want to add the 7000 Manual to my reference library. It is a must have item. Write fast Alec.

Fran in Florida

#47450 - 11/18/02 06:02 AM Re: SD CARD TUTORIAL
TOMMAW Offline

Loc: HUNTINGTON,WV USA
TECHNICSPLAYER..AT THE START OF THE THIRD PARAGRAPH OF THE TUTORIAL, IT SAYS "YOU CAN NOW COPY...". MY QUESTION IS A NEED FOR THE DETAIL OF MOVING THE FLOPPIE INFO TO THE SD CARD, STEP BY STEP. I AM NOT THE GREATEST WHEN IT COMES TO COMPUTERS. THANKS AND KEEP UP THE GREAT INFO YOU PROVIDE THE FORUM.

#47451 - 11/18/02 05:12 PM Re: SD CARD TUTORIAL
technicsplayer Offline

these instructions are for SD card reader. You can copy entire floppies in the SD Tools menu of the 7k, under Copy From Disk. Using the card reader will save an enormous amount of initial copy time and effort if you have a large archive of technics files on your computer.

To copy to the correct folder on the SD card in the card reader you just open both source and destination windows and highlight the files to copy in the source window, then drag them with left mouse button held down to the destination folder, then release the mouse.

Alternatively highlight the files to copy and use Edit/Copy menu in the source window and Edit/Paste in the destination window.

#47452 - 11/19/02 05:09 AM Re: SD CARD TUTORIAL
TOMMAW Offline

Loc: HUNTINGTON,WV USA
THANKS BUDDY....YOU TAKE THE PAIN OUT OF IT.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online