SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#47532 - 02/11/04 03:17 PM Re: A Bit More Info Re Matt
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I believe the view that Colin was expressing is a situation where someone spends hours step recording an entire tune and then passing it off as a live real time recording. This approach obviously does not require any actual keyboard playing skill and could be regarded as 'cheating'.
I have nothing against using the step recording facility. In fact, I often use it when creating new styles, since in some cases, it is just not possible to achieve my desired result, using a real time approach. For example, a Snare Drum or Timpani roll, smoothly increasing in volume, over 1 bar. Also, some more complex drum parts are just impossible to play 'Live' into the Composer.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#47533 - 02/11/04 03:45 PM Re: A Bit More Info Re Matt
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Willlum, yes, could be. But what do you think about Colin’s statement that our wonderful machines do nothing to enhance actual musical talent? Do you believe that statement, and can you justify that reasoning also?

Doug

#47534 - 02/11/04 05:40 PM Re: A Bit More Info Re Matt
greybird Offline

Loc: Granbury, TX, United States
I would suggest that if Colin ever plays a trumpet or harp on his keyboard then, by his own definition, he's cheating since he didn't spend years learning to blow or pluck those instruments. He is merely pushing a white or black key to produce them. If he ever plays more than one voice at a time in his registration he's cheating. If he uses auto base and drums and certainly if he ever uses Technichord he is cheating.
There are some wonderfully talented people who frequent this forum who 'play' keyboard. I know, I've heard some of their songs. If Colin objects to us using the word 'play' maybe he should just use 'create music' instead. Even at my level, which is way below others I've heard here, I 'create music'. It brings me great joy and I think Oscar would be proud for me.

Greybird

#47535 - 02/11/04 11:46 PM Re: A Bit More Info Re Matt
The Leans Offline

Loc: Birmingham, England
Frank,

Please accept my apologies, if it appears that my comments have 'hi-jacked' your posting. I certainly didn't intend it so.

Everything I've thus far read in regards to my comment of 'cheating', has shown how much thought and fervour keyboardists display when debating their favourite subject. Music/technology. And this is surely how it should be.

My original posting was mainly intended to get across my views on the wonderful music and musicians of the past. But, although my reference to cheating was partly as 'devil's advocate', I also had a strong reason for making the statement.

I spend all my 'on-board' time, attempting to 'CREATE' my own arrangements of songs, by using 'EVERY PIECE OF TECHNOLOGY AT MY DISPOSAL'. I finish up by producing my own 20 x track CD. I've done it by actually sitting down and playing, and the creation is 'my creation' and not someone else's. ! or is it. ?

When finished, I bore the living daylights out of my friends and family, by metaphorically saying to them, 'LOOK WHAT I'VE DONE, AREN'T I CLEVER'. And this is where the problem starts. Although I know, that much of what my listeners can hear, is actually what I've played, much is also the work and skills of others. ! Samplers -Technicians - Musicians. etc. So, what am I saying. ? I'm saying, that although my ability to orchestrate and arrange has undoubtedly improved, by constant use of technology, my 'REALTIME PLAYING ABILITY' has not changed one iota. !

There seems little doubt to me, that if you sit down and play a piano, the listener is going to hear ' A PRECISE MEASUREMENT OF YOUR PLAYING ABILITY '. Not, the result and consequence of the skills of others. So, I feel somewhat guilty. A cheat. My recordings make me out to be something I'm not. I might turn out to be a decent technician. Or even a half-decent musician. BUT NOT A GOOD PLAYER. That's something different. !!! Happy playing/creating.

Colin.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online