SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#480116 - 11/08/19 09:53 AM Re: What should I get next.. Thoughts? [Re: guitpic1]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By guitpic1
I knew of a fellow, a few years back, that had a career as a professional pianist, and at the time, was retired.

He took a job at a local music store, where he discovered arrangers...at that time the Yamaha PSR S950.

He decided he would put his piano skills together with the potential of arrangers. He needed the 88 keys of a hammered action piano for scale and expressiveness and used the S950, via midi, for styles when needed.

At the time, I was new to keyboards, and I asked him why both?

He showed me how he could get the very low sound/action of a piano and still use arranger styles...probably one of the best sounds I have heard since then.

When I pointed out the hassle of two keyboards, he replied that he was only taking two - three hour jobs that paid significantly more than the one hour jobs he had taken in the past.

Wouldn’t a module be better for that scenario?

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#480117 - 11/08/19 09:53 AM Re: What should I get next.. Thoughts? [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Perhaps because for most of my 70 years, I have played acoustic guitar/mandolin/bass, and have enjoyed acoustic piano over any key action, including Genos.

That said, I do love what happens style/voice wise with my Genos...it’s great.

But no arranger gives me the expressive enjoyment that I get with either my PX560 or the wonderful action of my RD2000.

Edited by guitpic1 (11/08/19 09:55 AM)

#480119 - 11/08/19 10:29 AM Re: What should I get next.. Thoughts? [Re: guitpic1]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417

It may seem a bit odd, but I do think learning piano has helped me with my Genos.

No, it is not odd. Many of the fine organ and keyboard players I have met studies piano -- studied enough to improve their skils. Be sure that the piano study is one that will improve what you want/need.

Rick Ionnone (spelling?) demoed the Wersi organs at the concerts in Florida. He shared the clasical piano studies he did every day.

Enjoy your music and your keyboard, John C.

#480121 - 11/08/19 11:21 AM Re: What should I get next.. Thoughts? [Re: guitpic1]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By guitpic1

But no arranger gives me the expressive enjoyment that I get with either my PX560 or the wonderful action of my RD2000.

For home use, I think that’s where Clavinova’’ s come into their own.
Piano with styles. Functions wouldn’t be as advanced as on an arranger, but for anyone that can play in full piano mode , Magic.

My Technics guy used to play in full piano mode, he was brilliant. He was more than happy to show off his skills, more than happy to listen.

Never quite gotten the hang of it. If there’s sheet music out there for full pianist mode or online lessons, love to know about it.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#480129 - 11/08/19 12:48 PM Re: What should I get next.. Thoughts? [Re: Dnj]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
DNJ You surely know how to keep it interesting, Donny. Looking forward to learn about your first impressions.

Rikkisbears, Clavinova is a classy thing. But what stops me from considering it is the fact that sooner or later any instrument needs a service, and I don’t want to picture how complicated it would be to move it.

Guitpic1 Since I got a rather decent piano in a form of Juno DS76, I play “just piano” a lot and it’s indeed exciting. I find that it also makes playing an arranger more, let’s say, refreshing. I even think that with a decent digital piano it’s much easier to be content with some middle arranger, as piano doesn't really leave much free time to go very far in other direction.

*I do have some trouble with Juno DS, but I’ll talk about it other time. Just to clarify that I’m not promoting it; hope to fix it later.

Edited by Kabinopus (11/08/19 01:11 PM)

#480131 - 11/08/19 01:04 PM Re: What should I get next.. Thoughts? [Re: Kabinopus]
Dnj Offline

Kabinopus Спасибо....
the Genos adventure starts sometime tomorrow..

#480133 - 11/08/19 01:13 PM Re: What should I get next.. Thoughts? [Re: Kabinopus]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Kabinopus
DNJ

Rikkisbears, Clavinova is a classy thing. But what stops me from considering it is the fact that sooner or later any instrument needs a service, and I don’t want to picture how complicated it would be to move it.

Kabinopus, I purchased a Clavinova CVP 307 around 2004-2005, I don’t remember the exact date. Moving it to a gig is a problem, moving it in my home is pretty easy I can usually do it by myself but it helps to have another person. The CVP 307 has been trouble free and I’ve never had to have it serviced. I’m hoping I won’t have to have it serviced. When I think if I had kept my Samick Grand piano and had it serviced 2 times per year I’d guess I would have spent upwards of $2000 over the course of 15 years. Just guessing at that number. The Clavinova hasn’t cost a penny for service and it is always in tune unlike the grand piano.

As as side note if the Clavinova were ever to stop working and the cost of repair was too high, I’d get another Roland FP80.

Edited by Stephenm52 (11/08/19 01:15 PM)

#480138 - 11/08/19 01:46 PM Re: What should I get next.. Thoughts? [Re: Kabinopus]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By Kabinopus

[b]Rikkisbears
, Clavinova is a classy thing. But what stops me from considering it is the fact that sooner or later any instrument needs a service, and I don’t want to picture how complicated it would be to move it.

Hi, I have been considering it, depending on how much I will enjoy playing piano again, bought the P121 for that reason, not sure.

There is always the worry of something going wrong and getting it serviced in a remote area.

My neighbour has one, 15 years old, still great condition except for the floppy disk drive has failed.. it was a clp , though, not a cvp with styles.

Edited by rikkisbears (11/08/19 01:47 PM)

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#480139 - 11/08/19 01:59 PM Re: What should I get next.. Thoughts? [Re: Stephenm52]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By Stephenm52
When I think if I had kept my Samick Grand piano and had it serviced 2 times per year I’d guess I would have spent upwards of $2000 over the course of 15 years

Hi Stephen,
Probably spent that on mine too. Had a Yamaha baby grand for about 15 years and a Disklavier for 10, getting two piano’s tuned twice a year was pretty expensive.
TheYamaha had at least 6 house moves. Haha.
Finally ended up with a place that couldn’t fit either.. oh well. History now.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#480140 - 11/08/19 02:09 PM Re: What should I get next.. Thoughts? [Re: rikkisbears]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
That Demo won't sell many Genos... Everything was horrible to Me...If this was the only demo out there I would not be Interested in a Genos Period...Love Frank no offence to him....Harold

Page 10 of 12 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online