SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11 >
Topic Options
#479779 - 11/05/19 02:24 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Still learning, but if Playlist recalls registration entries, should do the trick for me. Will let y'all know when I get that far....

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#479780 - 11/05/19 02:32 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: saxxman]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By saxxman
I hear you guys on navigation. But just wondering if, after you set everything up w/the Playlist, wouldn't navigation become less of an issue? I am wondering if the Playlist wouldn't allow you to recall the text displays for a MIDI file associated with a Playlist entry? Haven't even looked into the "Assignable" buttons yet but they may be a great help to eliminate button pushes too, once the settings are made.

Hi Randy,
haven’t spent a heap of time on Play list , but I’d be guided by what Stephen has to say, the Genos and Sx appear to incredibly similar as far as the registrations and playlists go.

The registrations are great, ie as little or as much info as you want to save to them, the Playlist is an extension of them.

Personally I think I am going to save one registration bank per song, that way if I’m looking for a song in the playlist, it’s going to be all set up.

On Korg I used to create duplicate styles, set it up for a particular song, then name the style after the song.

I think setting up registrations for songs on sx is going to be a better way to go.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479781 - 11/05/19 02:39 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: 124]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By 124
So, the Playlist on the SX900 works in much the same way as on your Pa4x. Is that right?

It's much different...
And better to navigate on Korg ..
I don't know why they don't talk to Pro players before they design these things.. more knobs and Sliders equal Better live play

Edited by Dnj (11/05/19 02:41 PM)

#479782 - 11/05/19 02:44 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Uncle Dave]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Originally Posted By DonM

So for now I'll play the Korg at my regular job and have the EA7 for any extra jobs or when I need to move my "stuff".

Don, Since you (like me) don't move your gear during the week, why not get a light action controller, and modify your stand to tuck it under the PA4X, so all the controls are easy to reach, and the keys feel easier to your fingers. That also gives you a second, and/or third zone to access live for a different solo voice on the fly. I don't "need" a second kb, but sometimes, it'd be nice to have an accent sound all ready to grab (like organs, for me)

I have thought of that before, but I will rethink. Thanks1

#479785 - 11/05/19 03:06 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Once again just my opinion but if you have used registrations successfully on any PSR or Yamaha arranger for gigs, the Playlist feature brings it up quite a few notches. I liked Music Finder and have used it for live play at gigs but as Randy has mentioned it did lack some flexibility.

Sorry to have to say if anyone thinks Playlist can’t hold a candle to Kong’s Songbook they have not mastered the use of Playlists on the SX900. As I’ve already mentioned there is a learning curve. What I like about Playlist is my registrations can call up the corresponding lead sheet/ lyrics on my iPad Pro and vice versa. I also like Songbook on my Pa4x that it can call up leadsheets/lyrics on my Android tablet. Both Songbook and Playlist do the job equally well in my eyes.

#479786 - 11/05/19 03:24 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

+1 Steve. With my previous PSRs I had songs in registrations and they were labelled as "Cocktail 1, 2, etc". I carried a notebook listing the registrations and their contents. As I see the OS change, someone at Yamaha thought the changes were for the better. As I have faced Microsoft's decisions on OS changes, I will plug along and learn as I go. So far, I am very happy!

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#479790 - 11/05/19 03:51 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: Stephenm52]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Stephenm52
Once again just my opinion but if you have used registrations successfully on any PSR or Yamaha arranger for gigs, the Playlist feature brings it up quite a few notches. I liked Music Finder and have used it for live play at gigs but as Randy has mentioned it did lack some flexibility.

Sorry to have to say if anyone thinks Playlist can’t hold a candle to Kong’s Songbook they have not mastered the use of Playlists on the SX900. As I’ve already mentioned there is a learning curve. What I like about Playlist is my registrations can call up the corresponding lead sheet/ lyrics on my iPad Pro and vice versa. I also like Songbook on my Pa4x that it can call up leadsheets/lyrics on my Android tablet. Both Songbook and Playlist do the job equally well in my eyes.

As someone who basically has both ( ie Genos , same/similar? function to sx) and PA4x, Stephen should know, since he uses both.

Btw, Stephen, I downloaded that songbook + app, haven’t bought full version yet, bit of a learning curve, but how does it work in conjunction with the sx/ Genos, if I remember correctly you said something about registrations? maybe being able to bring up the songs? or am I off on a flight of fantasy. Haha

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#479791 - 11/05/19 03:58 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Rikki,

There’s a set of instructions on how to link your registrations to Songbook+ entries. I’ll have to have a look for them then I’ll send a link to them. Once you do the initial set up it’s simply tapping the screen of your iPad then choosing the option save link to registration, then resaving your registration. Once you set up one the reaming will be a piece of cake to set up.

#479792 - 11/05/19 04:59 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
saxxman Offline

Thanks Steve - looking forward to it!

#479801 - 11/05/19 07:27 PM Re: SX900 Final Decision [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Actually, the MFD was nothing more than a scaled down registration that saved style, tempo, intro, and initial variation. Now, because I also used this in combination with registrations, and had a setup registration that locked my mic setting and pedal settings into place on startup, I really didn't have to worry about having a book of registrations to know what was in them. After a few months of continual performances, I knew them all by heart.

Now, I realize that you can assign lots of functions to the buttons at the bottom of the screen, including lyrics, which take more than a single button push to access from the player. However, on my ancient PSR-S950 there is a button that clearly says lyrics. One push and there they are. Wow!

Also, there was no indicator light for the vocal harmony on/off. Cmon, how easy would this be to add to such an advanced keyboard. Lots and lots of menus, sub menus and way too much time spent navigating and less time performing.

Now, I absolutely loved the right hand voices (sounds), the styles were great, the drums really rocked - no question about this aspect. As for the keyfeel, I really didn't notice any difference, but I was looking as this feature.

Good luck, guys and gals,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online