SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#480954 - 11/17/19 07:34 PM Re: OT Incredible rendition of Somewhere in time [Re: leeboy]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Rikki, well when I had the organs....I played lots of songs...then I got the PRO kbd's (Kurzweil for the terrific sounds...but lost out on them being Pianos not organs...then got a T2, then PA2XPRO...played more but spent too much time messing with styles, features, programming ec...This time I am going to do lots of songs.

Gary, sure would like to hear your friend Walter take a crack at that piece.

Lee

#480957 - 11/17/19 09:16 PM Re: OT Incredible rendition of Somewhere in time [Re: leeboy]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By leeboy

Gary, sure would like to hear your friend Walter take a crack at that piece.

Lee

Ditto

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#481795 - 11/24/19 11:51 PM Re: OT Incredible rendition of Somewhere in time [Re: leeboy]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Rikki (and other Somewhere in Time afficionados). You can add me to the list. I discovered the song from the movie which I probably saw a half dozen times by now. That film was fantastic. Underrated, in my opinion, but not really a movie for modern times...not enough sex and too much fairy-tale romance.

I also like that genre of songs (including Windmills of Your Mind....An Affair to Remember...Theme from the Apartment). I listened to Richard Claderman play Adeline a few times now. What an absolutely gorgeous song!

Rikki...if you need it, I have the full sheet music for Somewhere in Time.

#481799 - 11/25/19 03:03 AM Re: OT Incredible rendition of Somewhere in time [Re: leeboy]
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Mark,
fabulous tune , isn’t it. I ended up going thru all my old John Barry recordings.
Some really beautiful music , most of it , piano and strings. Unfortunately not a lot of it seems to be available in sheet music.

Summer of 42, is another really nice one. Enya’s Watermark.

I gave, most of my old sheet music away, but I kept all my Clayderman Albums plus a few other individual tunes. Majority arpeggio left hand.

Somewhere In Time I don’t think I’ve ever had.

We should have a chat. Maybe send me a pm when you have some free time.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#481830 - 11/25/19 07:03 AM Re: OT Incredible rendition of Somewhere in time [Re: rikkisbears]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By rikkisbears

when you have some free time.

Rikki....can you tell me what "free time" is? I remember the term somewhat but I'm vague on the definition. Where I live "free time" is a luxury....and especially when you're trying to get in music practice every day.

Only kidding, of course. Just wanted to say, a couple of years ago, when you were working with those Roland styles for me, I didn't realize you were liking the same music as me. I like everything (except folk music) that I label as "emotional," music that attacks you in the gut. You also made me think...possibly we're an endangered species.

You mentioned arpeggios. It's a coincidence because, although I love the piano, I went to another level of appreciation for it when I started on my crusade six months ago to learn to play left hand arpeggios fluently (like Ms. Rockhill does in the video of Dream of Olwen). There is nothing as enchanting as listening to the laying down of one note over another on a piano. Not just an arpeggio...even just a chord.

Summer of '42. Forget to mention that one. It's another song that sends chills up my spine!

Mark

#481833 - 11/25/19 07:10 AM Re: OT Incredible rendition of Somewhere in time [Re: leeboy]
Mark79100 Offline

Forgot to say thanks to Lee for posting this. And to saxxman for HIS comments also. I don't feel so alone now with my musical tastes!

Mark

#481850 - 11/25/19 09:00 AM Re: OT Incredible rendition of Somewhere in time [Re: leeboy]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Thanks for the shout-out Mark! You have a real great list of songs for sure! Love them all! The wife and I started our marriage playing the songs from "Goodbye Mr Chips". Leslie Bricusse songs like "You and I" and "What a Lot of Flowers". She used to accompany me on our (suitcase) Fender Rhodes. A monster to haul to a gig, but a wonderful instrument to experience for sure. Thanks again for the comment!

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#481852 - 11/25/19 09:05 AM Re: OT Incredible rendition of Somewhere in time [Re: Mark79100]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By Mark79100

Summer of '42. Forget to mention that one. It's another song that sends chills up my spine!
Mark

Great song, and a great movie ...

#481853 - 11/25/19 09:08 AM Re: OT Incredible rendition of Somewhere in time [Re: saxxman]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By saxxman
Thanks for the shout-out Mark! You have a real great list of songs for sure! Love them all! The wife and I started our marriage playing the songs from "Goodbye Mr Chips". Leslie Bricusse songs like "You and I" and "What a Lot of Flowers". She used to accompany me on our (suitcase) Fender Rhodes. A monster to haul to a gig, but a wonderful instrument to experience for sure. Thanks again for the comment!

Lugged a Rhodes 73 around to gigs for about 12 years ...

#481928 - 11/25/19 04:15 PM Re: OT Incredible rendition of Somewhere in time [Re: Mark79100]
rikkisbears Offline

Originally Posted By Mark79100
Originally Posted By rikkisbears

when you have some free time.

Rikki....can you tell me what "free time" is? I remember the term somewhat but I'm vague on the definition. Where I live "free time" is a luxury....and especially when you're trying to get in music practice every day.

Only kidding, of course. Just wanted to say, a couple of years ago, when you were working with those Roland styles for me, I didn't realize you were liking the same music as me. I like everything (except folk music) that I label as "emotional," music that attacks you in the gut. You also made me think...possibly we're an endangered species.

You mentioned arpeggios. It's a coincidence because, although I love the piano, I went to another level of appreciation for it when I started on my crusade six months ago to learn to play left hand arpeggios fluently (like Ms. Rockhill does in the video of Dream of Olwen). There is nothing as enchanting as listening to the laying down of one note over another on a piano. Not just an arpeggio...even just a chord.

Mark

Good one Mark, personally have loads of free time. So anytime, get in touch, as I mentioned I did keep some of my favourite sheet music, nearly all arpeggio type left hand.

It wasn’t the right type of style to learn, but it was pre arranger days , I then had to start from scratch and learn to play chords. Haha

I don’t think we ever discussed what type of music we did enjoy at the time. More’s the pity.

It is surprising how many seem to enjoy it too.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online