SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#481753 - 11/24/19 12:48 PM Setting Compression ?
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Looking at my Mastering settings for my BK9 I'm not sure where to set the compression for the Rhythms and Parts. I alsways have just left them on Standard Factory setting but wondering how most of you do yours?

#481754 - 11/24/19 12:52 PM Re: Setting Compression ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Use your ears Bill with your pa...
No rules...

#481765 - 11/24/19 01:45 PM Re: Setting Compression ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Bill, I always thought Roland sounds fine without compression.. Actually when you think it needs it... it is mostly because the sound system is letting you down..

When I used the G70 in the band, and using the band sound system.. I would not have the mastering tools on.. but if we were doing a tune and I felt I needed to change to another gear, I would use the EQ bump and if I really wanted to kick it up, I would turn on Compression.. I usually used custom settings. And on the G70, just a button push away..

The BK9 is shipped with Mastering tools turned on... Standard eq and standard compression.. I always thought it was a bit too much, and would turn them off.
Both my Marantz and Roland cubes did not need the mastering tools on..

#481767 - 11/24/19 02:18 PM Re: Setting Compression ? [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Here you go Bill...enjoy

#481811 - 11/25/19 05:45 AM Re: Setting Compression ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Donny and Fran thanks for the info. Bottom line I guess is to just try different settings with my gig setup.

#481813 - 11/25/19 06:09 AM Re: Setting Compression ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Donny and Fran thanks for the info. Bottom line I guess is to just try different settings with my gig setup.

Go get 'em Bill good luck..

#481856 - 11/25/19 09:19 AM Re: Setting Compression ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Bill,
I'm sure I replied to this yesterday, but must've forgot to hit "submit" (duh)
My thoughts are these:
1) Most arranger keyboards are already full of compressed sounds and styles. Unless you're concerned with live input (like vocals, or guitar) I can't imagine really needing to add compression to a keyboard mix. They all sound like records ready for airplay to me.
2) Compressors are sometimes more trouble than they are worth. There's a fine line between sweetening a sound, and stripping it of it's dynamic integrity

There are other setting specific thoughts I have, but we'd need to discuss these as they relate to your situation.
With THAT said, why do you think you need to add compression? Is there a sound, or style that isn't sitting (setting?) well in the mix for you? Some other reason?

I rarely use it in my live rigs. The studio is another animal, but that's a story for another day.

#481926 - 11/25/19 04:13 PM Re: Setting Compression ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Dave
I'm just curious why Roland sold the BK9 with the compressions settings on. And there are other choices of settings, Hard, soft, bass -mid-high boost,standard and user. I would like my keyboard to sound as "live" as possible which is why I also wondered why a "Randomizer" control has never been added to any Arrangers. As I said I had that on my old CR80 drum machine and it added a nice effect of every hit not being perfect. Fran gave me the place in the manuel to look at compression settings- forget it ! To make settings on every instrument in every style is not gonna happen.
I'm going to set up my gig system in my garage and try it with no compression to see if I get more dynamics or a less mechanical sound.

#481934 - 11/25/19 04:31 PM Re: Setting Compression ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Bill - adding "extras" is not a bad thing, but my guess is that most users will play that thing as it comes, and not dig too deep into things they don't understand.

#481941 - 11/25/19 04:54 PM Re: Setting Compression ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

I think I've made a discovery. Figured Roland knew hao to make their keyboard sound best so I never messed with the compression settiongs. Turned off the compression for both the Rhythms and Styles and even playing in my studio thru my pair of CM30s I have more control over volumes. I feel more in control. I've tried to do that before with the velocity settings for each part, this works better.
Can't wait to shake up the neighbors with my Eon Ones in the garage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online