SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 >
Topic Options
#486212 - 01/08/20 10:44 AM Re: Live with GroovyBand Live! [Re: FransN]
groovyband.live Offline

Originally Posted By FransN
I don’t have a Genos but when I listening to YouTube videos of the Genos the Genos sound better to me then the demos of your software. But I am a korgie so don’t take my opinion too serious smile

Ah, OK. Random YouTube videos listened to from the mobile phone .....

Now I understand why nobody posts any clip from the Genos: those who speak have no idea what they are talking about. Those who actually know, (since they know?), prefer not to speak....

Enjoy your Korg.

#486213 - 01/08/20 10:49 AM Re: Live with GroovyBand Live! [Re: groovyband.live]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By groovyband.live
I don’t have a Genos but when I listening to YouTube videos of the Genos the Genos sound better to me then the demos of your software. But I am a korgie so don’t take my opinion too serious smile

Now I understand why nobody posts any clip from the Genos: those who speak have no idea what they are talking about. Those who actually know, (since they know?), prefer not to speak....

Enjoy your Korg.

It's just constructive criticism
With an attitude like that your not gonna
win over the masses selling anything to them....
sorry to tell you that....

Edited by Dnj (01/08/20 10:50 AM)

#486222 - 01/08/20 11:46 AM Re: Live with GroovyBand Live! [Re: groovyband.live]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands

Enjoy your Korg.

No on my iPad using a headphone. I know what I hear and the Genos just sound much better to me then your software which I also listened on my iPad using a headphone.

#486242 - 01/08/20 02:36 PM Re: Live with GroovyBand Live! [Re: Henni]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I am not arguing Genos since I don't have one. I do have a s970 and a SX900. Naturally, the higher up you go,there had better be some better sound quality to the TOTL instruments. However,I will say there is a big big difference in the s970 and Groovyband.Live. Henni's original premise was to far exceed the the PSR sound and styles for far less money.

THAT,WITHOUT A DOUBT,IT DOES, IMHO

#486244 - 01/08/20 03:14 PM Re: Live with GroovyBand Live! [Re: Henni]
Crossover Offline

I'm quoting from the FAQ:

"Does Groovyband Live! produce the sound as well as the realtime arrangement?

No. Groovyband Live! produces only a stream of midi data. You need a compatible sound generator to actually produce sound."

This means, a saxophone sample of an older PSR arranger will always sound like exactly that sample of the older PSR arranger, and never like the newer sample of a Genos, nor will it have the SA2 features of automatic slides etc.

#486246 - 01/08/20 03:19 PM Re: Live with GroovyBand Live! [Re: FransN]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia

Enjoy your Korg.

No on my iPad using a headphone. I know what I hear and the Genos just sound much better to me then your software which I also listened on my iPad using a headphone.

Hi ,
I would have also thought if both are listened to, exactly the same way, one should be able to tell if one sounds better than the other.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#486247 - 01/08/20 03:30 PM Re: Live with GroovyBand Live! [Re: Bernie9]
Crossover Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
I am not arguing Genos since I don't have one. I do have a s970 and a SX900. Naturally, the higher up you go,there had better be some better sound quality to the TOTL instruments. However,I will say there is a big big difference in the s970 and Groovyband.Live. Henni's original premise was to far exceed the the PSR sound and styles for far less money.

Styles yes, sounds - just not possible as it's purely midi-based.

#486249 - 01/08/20 03:37 PM Re: Live with GroovyBand Live! [Re: Bernie9]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By Bernie9

Hi Bernie,
have you compared it to your sx900?

Personally I still think the sx wins out.

I played a few of the demo’s via Bluetooth /iPad thru sx speakers, then found same style in sx. Personally I don’t think sounded as good as sx.

Might be worth it to make an older keyboard sound better, but personally don’t see the value in adding it to sx. even if it improved it. Sounds pretty good to me as is.

Great for people who want a software arranger.

Been there, done that,

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#486250 - 01/08/20 03:45 PM Re: Live with GroovyBand Live! [Re: Henni]
FransN Offline

Loc: Netherlands
Agree why bother with this software if you own a Genos or a Psr sx 700/900

#486272 - 01/08/20 10:21 PM Re: Live with GroovyBand Live! [Re: Henni]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Remember this:

1. All of the demos to date use PSR S770 voices ONLY.
2. To my knowledge GBL does not currently use specific Genos voices OR Revo drums.
3. GBL effects are limited on the PSR S770 due to Yamaha hardware constraints.

I suspect in future that GBL would be updated specifically for the Genos/SX900 - so it can ONLY get better. They've already updated my version to cater for whatever resides in my user memory!

Now, what DOES GBL bring to the table for an ancient PSR S770?

1. 8 Variations
2. 8 OTSs
3. Two breaks
4. Seamless OTS changes - old voices/effects playing out in full even with new voices now playing.
5. Control lead voices in-out/volume by way of playing on keys - this is STUNNING.
6. 3 Lead voices, 1 LH voice.
7. Different harmonies on ALL lead & LH voices.
8. Much more effects power/routing than available on standard on-board hardware only.
9. Style bar reset.
10. Half bar fills.
11. Extremely powerful on-board style editing, some on the fly.
12. 4 Extra lead voices to be played by another midi device.
13. Software upgrades without changing the hardware.
14. Find a nice effect, lead or acc. voice or even OTS anywhere? Copy to any other style in mere seconds only - even on the fly.
15. Swap the inside variation sections around to your liking on the fly i.e. use var 3 Bass in var 7 whilst playing live & save new style even whilst performing with it.
16. Within days drum fills would be controllable by how you play your keys like i.e. on the Audya!
17. Link any OTS to any variation & save.
18. Transpose & save any voice/s inside an acc. on the fly whilst performing!!! Different transpose in different variation, intro, ending, fill & break parts for same voice
19. Round Robin drums like on the Genos.
20. Round Robin type effects assigned to lead voices to your personal liking.
21. 860 STUNNINGLY arranged styles @ 0,58 €/style right at your fingertips.
22. Accepts a touch screen with optic mouse.
23. Single printer cable interface only.
24. Record direct to your Yamaha as is normal.
25. Easily edit the different voices with each voice' full parameters individually within a same style part in i.e a specific variation like i.e. a "Scoo Bee Doo Hah Mmm" phrase - the ease to do is amazing!
26. Any editing of any style part is either locally or globally applied like on the Audya.
27. Intelligently continuously moving split-point to just above where you currently play your chords giving more access to lead voices without you doing anything!
28. Also uses registrations
29. You can bind any Yamaha or any other midi transmittable outputs to soft inputs
30. Store pre-setup effects in memory to use in any other place
31. Go back to playing your PSR S770 in stock standard mode with a single button push during live play. Push single button to return to GBL!
32. GBL is a very powerful style editing tool should you wish to use it as such.
33. If not then it is a GENIUS ad-on module to your existing PSR S770 or equivalent with all the benefits as listed above.

No amount of negative reasoning without supporting evidence will change any of the above. If you reason intelligently and actually ANALYZE/COMPARE the evidence as presented thus far, you will HAVE to admit that this is a STUNNING package indeed.

Can you prove any of the above wrong? Please post audio demos next to GBL demos to verify what you insinuate so that we all can learn something in the process. There are so many opinions being thrown out so loosely, but not a single shred of evidence to back it up with to date.

Some geniunly want to compare the results and I do not have access to either a SX900 or Genos else I would have posted comparisons myself. The question is NOT whether a S770 with GBL could replace a SX900/Genos, but rather if it could be upgraded to be more on par with these newer flagship models at a fraction of the cost.

Is it for everyone? It seems not. It certainly raised the standards dramatically for me of what is achievable if one is on a tight budget.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online