SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#487862 - 01/26/20 05:28 PM Re: Time to kill? Keyboard comparison songs [Re: Fran Carango]
gambler Offline

(if you guys think the Genos and PSR sound close.. get new monitors) grin
[/quote]

Just listened to them again, and nope l don't need new monitors Fran, just have a different liking and opinion of the keyboards to you wink

Russ

#487863 - 01/26/20 05:34 PM Re: Time to kill? Keyboard comparison songs [Re: DonM]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Well I guess if we had 30 peopleโ€™s opinions, we would get 15 different answers.

The comparison is fair because the performer is Don M., he makes all of them sound good. Why does he make them all sound good? Because his performance is 75% Don and 25% keyboard.

#1 Genos #2 Pa4x #3 Sd7---- the rest sound almost as good, but given the difference in price, that makes them appealing.

John C.

#487864 - 01/26/20 05:41 PM Re: Time to kill? Keyboard comparison songs [Re: bruno123]
gambler Offline

+1, Totally agree John. The one constant on all recordings is Don's excellent vocals.

Russ

#487865 - 01/26/20 05:42 PM Re: Time to kill? Keyboard comparison songs [Re: DonM]
zuki Offline

Should listen, other than computer speakers. I've really become interested in the SX900 recently. Listened to some YT videos last night and it blew me away.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Nord 6D73/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/ATEM Mini Pro switcher/K&M stand

#487866 - 01/26/20 05:55 PM Re: Time to kill? Keyboard comparison songs [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By zuki
Should listen, other than computer speakers. I've really become interested in the SX900 recently. Listened to some YT videos last night and it blew me away.

Zuki you going Yamaha sx900 next?

#487871 - 01/26/20 07:24 PM Re: Time to kill? Keyboard comparison songs [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Originally Posted By zuki

1. PSR - by far (flowed the best and soft instruments)
2. EA-7
3. 4X
4. SD-7

Jim I have it almost like you... Based on pleasing sound, and not the style used.

1. Genos
2. E-A7
3. PA4X
4. SD7
5. PSR (if you guys think the Genos and PSR sound close.. get new monitors) grin

The Genos is an uncompressed wav file, all the others use compressed mp3 files.. this might be much of the difference you hear on good monitors...

In general they all sound good and pretty close..
my ears prefer Yamaha, but the fact that the style is closest to the orriginal might also be part of my prefference, thats something the human brain does for free..

I stopped choosing keyboards based on sound quallity long ago, they all sound great and have tools to adapt their sound to your liking.. Just choose your instrument based on features? And make it your own,,

For the money, EA7 performs best, including its feature set, yet i have a personal problem with its key quallity/feel. The two i have tries felt a little cluncky..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#487872 - 01/26/20 07:31 PM Re: Time to kill? Keyboard comparison songs [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Good catch Bachus, I uploaded the wrong file. I just added the MP3 of the Genos.
Thank you!

#487873 - 01/26/20 07:38 PM Re: Time to kill? Keyboard comparison songs [Re: Fran Carango]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Based on pleasing sound, and not the style used.

1. Genos
2. E-A7
3. PA4X
4. SD7
5. PSR (if you guys think the Genos and PSR sound close.. get new monitors) grin
I agree with Fran. The fat, warm guitar on the Genos stood out for me.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#487874 - 01/26/20 09:21 PM Re: Time to kill? Keyboard comparison songs [Re: DonM]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway

Enjoyed listening. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š
Just picked the two of the collection that pleased my ears and personal taste best:

1 - SD7
2 - Genos

SD7 differ more from the others and deliver a warm soft sound that fits very well to this song.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#487875 - 01/26/20 11:12 PM Re: Time to kill? Keyboard comparison songs [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I just listened to them all again, one after the other. As I have often said, there are no wrong choices these days.
Just some random thoughts on a rainy night when they won't let me work/play ...
I think I like the overall sound of the Korg best, but each of them has its strong points.
The Korg has the best vocal processor for sure, and I like the guitar sounds a lot. I hit the wrong ending button on it; nothing was programmed there! Korg has the truly wonderful Songbook than no one else has equaled yet. It has some terrible endings. You have to play around some of them. I could edit them, but I'm lazy and shouldn't have to do that.
The Yamaha guitars do a lot of the work for you. Hard to make 'em sound bad. Not sure I like QUITE the level of "help" from the SA voices though. Yes you can choose different ones, but I don't want to have to reprogram every OTS! Even though the new OS is way better, it is still the most difficult to learn and live with. Just my opinion of course.
The Ketron has its own charm. Not sure I used the best drum kit on it. The guitar was more of an acoustic, while on the Roland I used a slight overdrive sound. Neither wrong or right, just different. Eric Clapton doesn't always use the same guitar. smile
If I could assemble an arranger out of the various parts, I'd use the Korg vocals, the EA7 intros and endings, Yamaha fills and breaks, the flexibility of the Ketron and keys of the Genos or SX or EA7. Others will prefer the semi-weighted feel of the Korg and Ketron.
The EA7 lacks the big touch screen and doesn't display text files, and doesn't have a harmonizer, and has limited fill/break. BUT, I like the keys, the weight, the styles, the ease of operation and the PRICE. I love a few of the sounds. . . sax, organs, a few guitars, one piano, fiddle.
The Genos has that incredible pedal steel sound, and all the sounds are really good. The new drums are much better than ever before, but still not any better to my ears than the Korg. Genos has the vocal oohs and aahs down perfectly. Ketron audio drums are another story; they are just REAL drums.
With AJ's latest work, the Ketron guitars are WAY better than they ever were before.
If the Genos was 61-key length, I would have probably kept it.
If the Korg had lighter key touch, I would be almost totally happy.
If the SD7 wasn't so wide and was a little lighter, and had softer keys, it would be hard to beat.
If the EA7 had . . . ON and ON!
In the words of the great philosopher T. Graham Brown..."Big, little, short or tall, I wish I coulda kept 'em all. MMMM I loved them every one!" No perfect women, no perfect arranger, but there are some really good examples of both creatures.
If you read all this stop by the club and I'll feed you! smile

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online