SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#488879 - 02/09/20 09:48 AM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
Thanks guys. Tony, for some reason the old tunes from that era just seem to flow more naturally. Even the lyrics actually made sense smile. Of course most of the tunes we now label as 'standards' started life as 'show tunes', composed mostly for Broadway shows by the great Broadway composers of that era. Ahhh, what a 'golden age' for music.
chas

chas, I agree ... A good number of them were also written for movies ... It's interesting that in the 'old days' songs were written for movies, and with the advent of MTV, 3 minute movies (videos) were made for songs ...

#488890 - 02/09/20 01:00 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
John, you just named one of my favorites tunes, 'What are you doing the rest of my life'. Favorite version - Dusty Springfield (she nailed it). Second favorite, our own Capt Russ. His guitar voicings are to die for and inspired me to try to learn it. I didn't, it was too hard and I couldn't get the same feeling/effect that Russ did so I just gave up. I'll just listen to his smile smile. Is it just us old folks that love these old gems or are we the only ones with any taste these days smile smile smile. I'm kidding, of course. Most of the other genre's have the same kind of rich history; we just happen to like and be influenced by this one.

Things I'd like to hear from some members here:

Donny - Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen)
Steve - Short piano medley (of his choosing)
Randy - My Funny Valentine (Sax)
DonM - Georgia or Rainy night in Georgia or Always on my mind (or all three smile )
Russ - Midnight Sun (preferably on vibes but I'm open)
Tony - Any good Jazz standard with a good backbeat (@ 120bpm) (vocal)

There will be no monetary reward for honoring any of these requests smile.

chas

#488891 - 02/09/20 01:15 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Chas,
Are you hip to Esperanza Spalding? You mentioned Midnight Sun - This woman proves my point that the vocal (or melody) and the bass are ALL YOU NEED to get across an idea, and that's why they are the 2 most important elements in a song, for me. Check it out on good speakers, or you'll miss the beauty of the bass.

#488893 - 02/09/20 01:19 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
John, you just named one of my favorites tunes, 'What are you doing the rest of my life'. Favorite version - Dusty Springfield (she nailed it). Second favorite, our own Capt Russ. His guitar voicings are to die for and inspired me to try to learn it. I didn't, it was too hard and I couldn't get the same feeling/effect that Russ did so I just gave up. I'll just listen to his smile smile. Is it just us old folks that love these old gems or are we the only ones with any taste these days smile smile smile. I'm kidding, of course. Most of the other genre's have the same kind of rich history; we just happen to like and be influenced by this one.

Things I'd like to hear from some members here:

Donny - Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen)
Steve - Short piano medley (of his choosing)
Randy - My Funny Valentine (Sax)
DonM - Georgia or Rainy night in Georgia or Always on my mind (or all three smile )
Russ - Midnight Sun (preferably on vibes but I'm open)
Tony - Any good Jazz standard with a good backbeat (@ 120bpm) (vocal)

There will be no monetary reward for honoring any of these requests smile.

chas

Chas, I’d be happy to but for the next few months we are in Florida where I don’t have a piano in the house to record with just the SX900. Even though I’m playing a weekly piano gig in the lobby of the cancer center, in my opinion the FP3 they have for use there would not be a piano I want to record anything on.

#488895 - 02/09/20 01:54 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Chas,
Are you hip to Esperanza Spalding?

Are you kidding? I've been listening to her forever. She's fantastic, just not for the great unwashed smile. She's a master player and highly respected among her peers. BTW, I know you're one of the best musicians (and vocalist) on the forum and the only reason I didn't include you on my 'request' list is because I haven't heard enough of your work to identify you with a specific song or genre'. But by all means, do something for us that you think is most representative of your style (I know you don't limit yourself to one genre').

Steve, I understand, but you only get a temporary reprieve until you get back to cold country smile. I have a mental impression of everyone and I picture you as one of those "tickle those ivories" type of players, you know, versatile, tasteful, professional.

chas

#488896 - 02/09/20 02:02 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Chas,

Are you kidding? I've been listening to her forever.
chas

FOREVER, really?? What is she TWELVE? lol

#488897 - 02/09/20 02:07 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: cgiles]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
cry cry frown

#488899 - 02/09/20 02:10 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Whoo Hoo - I made the A-list! rocker
Here's a few samples I've made on different instruments over the years.
(sorry - not a box user)

The Prayer was done on a PA900
She's No Lady on an X-1
Nightingale Sang on 9000Pro with digitech VR harmonizer, and
All My Tomorrows is on an ancient PA80. I liked the Rhodes sound when I got it - and yes, I took some liberties with the song format. Sue me. keys

All done in real time - hope you like 'em!

Attachments
All My Tomorrows (PA80).mp3 (40 downloads)
01 A Nightengale Sang.mp3 (46 downloads)
She's No Lady (X1).mp3 (37 downloads)
The Prayer (4 Eddie G).mp3 (58 downloads)

#488903 - 02/09/20 02:26 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

FOREVER, really?? What is she TWELVE? lol

??? She's a 35 yr old Grammy Award winner. WELL known in jazz circles.

chas

PS: I'll be listening to your tunes right after the game. At the moment I'm going through a gradual withdrawal with this crappy new XFL smile.

Edited by cgiles (02/09/20 02:29 PM)

#488905 - 02/09/20 02:46 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Chas,

Are you kidding? I've been listening to her forever. She's fantastic, just not for the great unwashed smile. She's a master player and highly respected among her peers. BTW, I know you're one of the best musicians (and vocalist) on the forum and the only reason I didn't include you on my 'request' list is because I haven't heard enough of your work to identify you with a specific song or genre'. But by all means, do something for us that you think is most representative of your style (I know you don't limit yourself to one genre').

Steve, I understand, but you only get a temporary reprieve until you get back to cold country smile. I have a mental impression of everyone and I picture you as one of those "tickle those ivories" type of players, you know, versatile, tasteful, professional.

chas

We saw her somewhere around 2008 at the Regatta Bar one of Boston’s great jazz venues, wonderful show she put on. If my memory serves me correctly at 20 she was one of the youngest faculty members at Berkeley College of music

Chas, You made my day with your comment , thank you. Yup I like to consider myself one of those “tickle the ivories” type pianists.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online