SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#488906 - 02/09/20 03:06 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: cgiles]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Nice My kind of relaxing music. Not. a vibe fan but well done. Live to hear you do all organ, sounds like thats your thing

#488907 - 02/09/20 03:54 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
Whoo Hoo - I made the A-list! rocker

Dave, there IS NO A-list. There are a lot of very talented players on this forum. I just randomly picked a few guys that I strongly identified with a certain type of song, genre', or playing style based on music they have posted in the past. ABSOLUTELY no intention of slighting anyone.

chas

#488911 - 02/09/20 04:56 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: cgiles]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Fantastic version Chas, and your absolutely right about the old songs. There's just so much more for a musician to dig into with songs from that era. Thanks for sharing.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#488913 - 02/09/20 05:35 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Love to hear you do all organ, sounds like thats your thing

Bill, I'm a lousy solo organist. Always had the crutch of a great guitar player when gigging. What I love most is accompanying a talented female vocalist/stylist doing Billie Holiday/Sarah Vaughn/Ella Fitzgerald type stuff or a male Blues/jazz singer in the mold of Joe Williams/Lou Rawls. Dislikes - playing with a bass player. I did do a solo version of 'There is no greater love' which I recorded. If I can find it I'll post it although it isn't very good.

chas

#488914 - 02/09/20 07:50 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: Uncle Dave]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA

Here's a few samples I've made on different instruments over the years.

All done in real time - hope you like 'em!

Like 'em? ... I love 'em ...
The KB intsrument matters not, it's the vocal instrument that matters ...
And you could give a clinic on how to use a vocal harmonizer ...

Thanks, Dave ...

PS: I did think "All My Tomorrows" could have been a step higher ... BWDIK ... wink

Edited by tony mads usa (02/09/20 08:05 PM)

#488916 - 02/09/20 08:01 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Glad you liked 'em Tony ... and Chas, I was just funnin' with ya about the A-List. LOL ...

#488919 - 02/09/20 09:04 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Okay Dave, just finished listening to the tunes. Loved them all but do agree with tony about coming up a half or whole step on 'All my tomorrows'. Boy, did I feel like wanting to do 'She's my wife' on organ with my 'crew' and you on vocals. Not that I didn't love your version, I did, it's just that it's the kind of tune that everybody wants to jump in and play. The Prayer - one of my favorites every since I heard Yolanda Adams and Donnie McClurkin do it. Powerful tune and you did a super job with it. Hope everyone has a listen....although it's much easier if you put them on Box. Thanks again. BTW, I hope you caught the opening number of the Oscars. Janelle Monae (Sp) nailed it.

chas

#488923 - 02/09/20 09:41 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By cgiles
coming up a half or whole step on 'All my tomorrows

Thanks for the listen, and the kind review Chas.That version of "All My Tomorrows" is actually a kind of funny story ... not funny -HaHa, but interesting. I bought that PA80 about 10 minutes before I found that EP sound, and I just started playing the tune. I wasn't even all that sure of the changes, as you may have figured out by the way I changed a line or two, but I just "felt" it, and it came through my fingers. Never really thought about a key, but maybe you're right - I'll revisit that song, and see what happens. The Lyle Lovett tune was 100% inspired by Lou Rawls' version, and facilitated by a pattern on the X1 that just screamed to be played. As soon as I heard that style I started chipping away at about a dozen tunes that sat right in that pocket. The bass line, particularly grabbed me by the .....well, bass. eek2

"The Prayer" was suggested to me by divine inspiration ... literally.
My cousin had just died suddenly, and for some reason I was drawn to the melody of that song, as I replayed memories of him. I couldn't get it out of my head, so I called Eddie's (the deceased) brother and told him about the song, and that I thought it might be nice to sing at his memorial service. His brother hesitated for a few seconds, and the silence on the phone was deafening ... then he told me that "the Prayer" was Eddiie's favorite song and he and his wife used to share songs with each other when the TV was boring. That song was a favorite for them both, and when Eddie's widow heard about my suggestion - she was filled with an overwhelming warmth, and catharsis because she knew Eddie had made the suggestion to me. That's what I truly believe, and it's very special to me to this day. More funniness ... Eddie's wife is Japanese, and a family custom from her culture is to place objects of personal interest in the casket before burial, so the deceased will have familiar items in the afterlife. Family and friends placed various things in the box - a Yankees bat, a bottle of Scotch, a few sax reeds .... but my Dad (the original joker) wrote him a check for $1,000,000 and tucked it in his jacket pocket, saying "I sure hope he doesn't cash this!"
rotf2

Cracks me up every time I think of it.
Thanks for the nudge to remember how these tunes were introduced to my repertoire. Good times. Good times.

#488924 - 02/09/20 10:01 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: Uncle Dave]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Whoo Hoo - I made the A-list! rocker

Hi Dave,
Don’t know about A List, , should be A PLUS List.
Beautiful songs , Really enjoyed them.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#488925 - 02/09/20 10:04 PM Re: To lazy to learn new material [Re: cgiles]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Originally Posted By cgiles
What the heck, Tony and I like the oldies.

chas

Hi Chas, from the responses, you’re not the only ones.

Great tune, really enjoyed it.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online