SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#488846 - 02/09/20 05:18 AM Re: Rehash discussion SX700 Sx900, Genos PLAYLIST [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
No Donny you can not do exactly as you asked. You will not get each song to show in he playlist...ONLY the folder name, that's why we make a folder for each song...

The key is this, I WANT multiple registrations for EACH song....And most everyone else does too.
So I setup a folder (registration bank to be specific) for, let's say Memory from Cats, I have 4 registrations I use for that song, (for different parts of the song) works great! Yamaha designed it so we can use 1 or up to 8 registrations per SONG.

IF you do it the way you asked, you will only see the individual registration names (songs in your example) by looking at the registrations edit screen once you call up the registration bank(folder)...
Hope that makes sense to you...

Edited by leeboy (02/09/20 06:19 AM)

#488853 - 02/09/20 06:09 AM Re: Rehash discussion SX700 Sx900, Genos PLAYLIST [Re: leeboy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By leeboy
No Donny you can not do exactly as you asked. You will not get each song to show in he playlist...ONLY the folder name, that's why we make a folder for each song...

The key is this, I WANT multiple registrations for EACH song....And most everyone else does too.
So I setup a folder (registration bank to be specific) for, let's say Memory from Cats, I have 4 registrations I use for that song, (for different parts of the song) works great!

IF you do it the way you asked, you will only see the individual registration names (songs in your example) by looking at the registrations edit screen once you call up the registration bank(folder)...
Hope that makes sense to you...

Lee thank you for the info,....listing and renaming songs as registrations folders is ridiculous confused2 as I expected the Playlist is totally useless to me and my needs using 1 registration per song ...
it's just the way I do it,..so far I really like the sx700/sx900/genos for many reasons but NOT the Playlist feature is definitely not one of them for sure mad ....The Korg SongBook got it right and is Far Superior in that regard for the live player. Yamaha should take a major lesson from them nuff said.
I never used the MFD on previous units and unless it is changed in future updates on the sx/genos models.
I will not use the Playlist feature now for the reasons I stated.

Take care

Edited by Dnj (02/09/20 06:13 AM)

#488855 - 02/09/20 06:18 AM Re: Rehash discussion SX700 Sx900, Genos PLAYLIST [Re: Dnj]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Donny, Interesting how needs vary...I can not even imagine using 1 registration for each song. Yes the OTS gives 4 different sound combos, but I want other parms to change too and 4 is not enough for some orchestral renditions.

Remember PLENTY of memory, so for your needs, just use 1 reg bank with 1 reg for each song....simple, I see absolutely no reason why this will not work for you....don't be stubborn now, ha, ha,.....then Playlist is ok for you.

#488857 - 02/09/20 06:24 AM Re: Rehash discussion SX700 Sx900, Genos PLAYLIST [Re: leeboy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By leeboy
Donny, Interesting how needs vary...I can not even imagine using 1 registration for each song. Yes the OTS gives 4 different sound combos, but I want other parms to change too and 4 is not enough for some orchestral renditions.

Remember PLENTY of memory, so for your needs, just use 1 reg bank with 1 reg for each song....simple, I see absolutely no reason why this will not work for you....don't be stubborn now, ha, ha,.....then Playlist is ok for you.

But hundreds+ of songs will have to be renamed in folders
all that work is insane..I understand for your orchestral work of which I would love to hear on teh sx900 might make sense using all those registrations for each song.....
but as a live performance OMB player for me it doesn't work.

#488858 - 02/09/20 06:33 AM Re: Rehash discussion SX700 Sx900, Genos PLAYLIST [Re: Dnj]
zuki Offline

As I contemplate purchasing a 900, I keep reading that it's not conducive for live play. I never had a problem with my (way back) 3000 - it worked like a champ and was able to change songs/do medleys without a glitch.

Tell me this board is designed for live play.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Nord 6D73/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/ATEM Mini Pro switcher/K&M stand

#488863 - 02/09/20 06:48 AM Re: Rehash discussion SX700 Sx900, Genos PLAYLIST [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By zuki
As I contemplate purchasing a 900, I keep reading that it's not conducive for live play. I never had a problem with my (way back) 3000 - it worked like a champ and was able to change songs/do medleys without a glitch.

Zuki only you can determine if it is workable for LIVE play for YOUR needs some features are and others are not in my opinion. Personally for YOU I would Keep your KORG after all the work you out into it and many features like the fantastic Songbook, TC helicon VH, sliders, knobs, keyfeel, etc, will be missed on sx models. I'd say go play one try it out first and get a good sense of using it with YOUR needs in mind.
will be missed for sure.

#488866 - 02/09/20 07:00 AM Re: Rehash discussion SX700 Sx900, Genos PLAYLIST [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Who said he wasn't?

#488867 - 02/09/20 07:05 AM Re: Rehash discussion SX700 Sx900, Genos PLAYLIST [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
Who said he wasn't?

First off what does this have to do with the playlist...
that said I await Zukis report back after he auditions a SX900....should be an interesting comparison between
the Pa3x/Sx900

good luck

#488875 - 02/09/20 07:46 AM Re: Rehash discussion SX700 Sx900, Genos PLAYLIST [Re: zuki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By zuki
As I contemplate purchasing a 900,

Zuki - I took mine out the same weekend I bought it. It's a super easy top navigate OS, and the layout is very intuitive, especially since the touch screen was added to the Yammie camp. Don't hesitate to consider this for live play - and if you want to save a few sheckles ... I just "happen" to have a deal for ya .... dance2

http://www.synthzone.com/forum/ubbthread...y_..#Post488669

#488876 - 02/09/20 08:14 AM Re: Rehash discussion SX700 Sx900, Genos PLAYLIST [Re: Bernie9]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Which is best to use, 8 songs in one folder, or one song per folder? BOTH!

I do not need 4 OTS and 8 Regs. for a polka. (One song per folder)
And when playing How High the Moon, I want the 8 Regs. and 4 OTS.
To have the correct answer we must know the method used when looking for the next song to be played. That makes all the difference in the world.

My method using 8 songs per folder (REG): I use OnSong for my lyrics. (in my iPad) Chords and notes are optional. Each song has the folder number and Reg number. EX. 8-3 No need to see the bank on the keyboard and select Reg Bank Edit – for me that is doing the job backwards. I am selecting a song from the 10 banks I created. They are numbered 001 to 011. The name in the bank is the first song in the bank, this helps me to remember than other 7 Regs. If all fails, I have a master list of the 10 banks and what songs are in them. I rarely use it.

My method Using 1 song per bank: I need all 8 regs and the 4 OTS to give this song all I got. The songs come my list 001 to 011. For special songs only.

The changes that can be made: Variation --- Accompaniment volume and change of instruments --- adding pads --- adding intros and endings – and sometimes I go to a different similar style for effect.

Please tell us your method of selecting the next song, and how you find it in the keyboard. Knowing this will make this type of post a positive. It may also give us some new great ideas.
John C.

Posted by
Bernie --I prefer to add playlist folders containing "BANKS"of a single song name with 4 "REGS"in each bank.
Donny ran into trouble because he had put 8 different songs(regs) in each BANK. He then could not see the individual songs.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online