SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#490543 - 02/28/20 10:13 AM Re: A Rainy Night In Georgia... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good morning Paul and John. Glad you both enjoyed my rendition of this song.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#490544 - 02/28/20 10:26 AM Re: A Rainy Night In Georgia... [Re: travlin'easy]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Gary...
The song suits you to a tee and visa versa.
Ed

#490545 - 02/28/20 10:30 AM Re: A Rainy Night In Georgia... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks for listening and commenting, Ed. Sure wish I were down there in South Florida today with you and Carol. We may get up to 40 degrees if we're lucky today. And, colder tomorrow. smile

Gary cool

#490550 - 02/28/20 11:54 AM Re: A Rainy Night In Georgia... [Re: travlin'easy]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
This is an atmospheric performance; to tell the trust listening to it I can’t really figure out how it is a style playing, because to me it sounds much closer to SMF. Is there some secret?

#490560 - 02/28/20 04:24 PM Re: A Rainy Night In Georgia... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

I'll have to dig into my file archives to find the style file, but it is essentially nothing more than the fast jazz style of the PSR-S950 slowed down considerably, "D" variation, and muting most of the components of the style. After that, it's just a matter of sitting down and playing and singing. Now, I'm not a good player by any means, but back in 2016 when I first recorded the song, I still had a decent singing voice, but it was in the process of failing. This was when the doctors also told me that I had idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and that I only had a short time to live. During the next couple of years, I recorded about 15 CDs, each with about a dozen songs - they're all in a folder above my desk.

I never use SMF for the simple reason that you no longer had control of the dance floor, and during the 30 years I was on stage, I did my best to keep that floor filled to capacity. One of the best lessons I learned from DMJ was that if you cannot dance to the song, there is no reason to play it - IMO, he was right on the money.

Later that year, I recorded the same song using a country ballad, which to me sounded much better, but it was not the same as the Brook Benton rendition, and my wife said I should stick to the older one. When my arranger keyboard comes back from the keyboard hospital, which will, hopefully be soon, I will download it off the USB drive and post it as well.

Thanks for listening and commenting, from Russia, Kabinopus,

Gary cool

#490562 - 02/28/20 04:40 PM Re: A Rainy Night In Georgia... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
One of the best lessons I learned from DNJ was that if you cannot dance to the song, there is no reason to play it - IMO, he was right on the money.
Gary cool

Gary appreciate that!!
...you were a good student "Grasshopper"! wink

#490565 - 02/28/20 06:02 PM Re: A Rainy Night In Georgia... [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I never seen Donny dance... never seen Uncle Dave dance... and I don't dance... what do we know about tempos smile

#490571 - 02/28/20 07:22 PM Re: A Rainy Night In Georgia... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Well, Fran, I don't know a damned thing about tempos other than to keep up with them, can't read music, so I just use the onboard and third-party style and go with what sounds good to ME! Now, if I did know how to read music, knew something about music theory, chord progression, etc.., at least from a trained musician's standpoint, I guess maybe I could have made the song sound better. As it was I used Ultimate Guitar Chords to determine which chords to use, then went to You Tube and listened to the Brook Benton rendition several times in order to get the chord changes to match the lyrics. I guess it worked OK, mainly because most folks seemed to enjoy it, though some didn't seem to care one way of another.

Now, I have seen Donny Dance with Nancy in Point Pleasant, I think it was on their anniversary, though I must admit I never saw you or Dave dance, but he did wiggle around behind the keyboard a bit while playing to a dance crowd. Come to think of it Fran, I think I only saw you play once in all those trips up north, but I cannot remember where. That was a long time ago.

Good luck,

Gary cool

#490581 - 02/28/20 10:04 PM Re: A Rainy Night In Georgia... [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Dave don’t dance.

#490588 - 02/29/20 02:27 AM Re: A Rainy Night In Georgia... [Re: travlin'easy]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
it is essentially nothing more than the fast jazz style of the PSR-S950 slowed down considerably, "D" variation, and muting most of the components of the style. After that, it's just a matter of sitting down and playing and singing.

I must say that the arrangement came out very tasteful! But I shouldn't be surprised given how much time and effort you had invested into this work. More importantly, of course, that you did that job because you really wanted to do it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online