SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#492068 - 03/19/20 05:27 PM Galway Girl
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
In order to combat cabin fever and maintain what little sanity I've retained, I took DNJ's advice and worked on a new song, one that I've never attempted in the past, though, I'd heard it a few times. In the spirit of Saint Patric's Day, I recorded Galway Girl on my PSR-S-950 using a third party bluegrass style and my custom guitar voice. Hope you enjoy my rendition of Galway Girl.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#492097 - 03/19/20 09:18 PM Re: Galway Girl [Re: travlin'easy]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Good one Gary,
Gets the toes a tappin’

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#492105 - 03/19/20 11:21 PM Re: Galway Girl [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Keep pickin' old friend! Still sounding fine.

#492107 - 03/19/20 11:28 PM Re: Galway Girl [Re: travlin'easy]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Sounded good Gary. I like that song. Where might I find that style you used?

#492137 - 03/20/20 07:33 AM Re: Galway Girl [Re: Scott Langholff]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Riki, Don and Scott, for the compliments. It seems like I'm finally getting my voice back after the stroke. Scott, I'll send you the style file when I get down to my office.

All the best,

Gary cool

#492138 - 03/20/20 07:40 AM Re: Galway Girl [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Gary.....wow just had a chance to listen to your performance of
Galaway Girl.....

Outstanding clap

more more!!

#492139 - 03/20/20 07:42 AM Re: Galway Girl [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Donny, thanks for the encouragement to learn new songs.

All the best, from an old man,

Gary cool

#492140 - 03/20/20 07:46 AM Re: Galway Girl [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Donny, thanks for the encouragement to learn new songs.

All the best, from an old man,

Gary cool

Great stuff Gary....your very welcome.
whats next?

#492142 - 03/20/20 08:13 AM Re: Galway Girl [Re: travlin'easy]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
A nice, catchy tune that I’m not familiar with but I enjoyed nonetheless. Keep em’ coming !

Edited by montunoman (03/20/20 08:14 AM)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#492154 - 03/20/20 09:23 AM Re: Galway Girl [Re: montunoman]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Gary,

Good to see your are back in the saddle and my compliments on the way you make the PSR-950 sing. Kind of regret now having sold mine ( twice !!!) for a mere trifle.
Being Dutch I was wondering if you could classify this song under the genre CAJUN ?? Cause that's what it reminds me of.....
Thanks for sharing,

regards,
John

#492167 - 03/20/20 10:16 AM Re: Galway Girl [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

"Cajun" music often has accordions, maybe harmonica and fiddles, but it's more about the FEEL than the instrumentation. Hard to explain. I'm in Cajun country and do a lot of the songs, but it's not the same as a real Cajun band.
Also, there are many variations of Cajun music, just as there are Jazz, or Rock or Country.
Still, if you hear a song by an authentic Cajun band, you KNOW what it is.
This doesn't help does it. smile

#492170 - 03/20/20 10:22 AM Re: Galway Girl [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

There are lots of styles that can be used with Irish songs, but the most popular are waltzes, 6/8 marches, jigs, ballads and variations of bluegrass, especially for the livelier songs. Then, of course, there is the river dance styles, which I love to use for some instrumental songs, including a Scottish mix.

Gary cool

#492181 - 03/20/20 10:45 AM Re: Galway Girl [Re: travlin'easy]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Great rendition Gary! Way to go! Thanks for sharing!

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#492182 - 03/20/20 10:54 AM Re: Galway Girl [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Randy, for the compliments. Saint Paddy's day parties really invoke happy times and in this part of the world, people pretty much celebrate for a solid week with corn beef and cabbage in the restaurants and green beer on tap. I truly miss playing at all those parties since my retirement - they were always a lot of fun for everyone. And, the audiences always sang along with me most of the time.

Gary cool

#492194 - 03/20/20 11:28 AM Re: Galway Girl [Re: travlin'easy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Saint Paddy's day parties really invoke happy times and in this part of the world, people pretty much celebrate for a solid week with corn beef and cabbage in the restaurants

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but after playing hundreds of St Paddy's Day parties, I can now say "I've had me fill." There are too many amateurs that overdo the drinking aspect of the celebration, and I just have no patience for that behavior anymore. I was thrilled to miss the Irish parties this year, .... all the rest of the work - not so much, but This 1/2 Irishman has no regrets in missing the party this year. That said - "Galway Girl" is a fun song that we all enjoy at my local spots.
I've been keeping busy this (quiet) week with all my instruments, and I play to spend a good solid amount of time today in the studio, getting ready for when I will have clients come over again ... if that ever happens again. Fingers crossed. For now - I'm watching videos, playing my instruments, eating healthy, and trying to keep my kids (all but one work in the service industry) from freaking out ..... or moving back home.

Be well all. - If you're on facebook, I think I'm going live at 7pm EST tonight.
boydsongs

eek2

#492195 - 03/20/20 11:42 AM Re: Galway Girl [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Will try to catch you on FB. I've been playing a couple of hours a day at home on the EA7.
I long ago lost tolerance for drunks. Not much of a problem where I work, but occasionally an over-imbibed customer will want to sing. I truly hate that, and I can usually prevent it.
A while back a semi-regular, an MD, per$uaded me to let him do a song. I could tell that he probably had a good voice, but he was just so drunk he couldn't remember the words or stay on key. After we struggled through a song, he wanted to do another one and I told him, over the mic, that he could but only if I could get drunk and come and help him to surgery Monday morning. He took it in good spirits, no pun intended, and sat down.

#492220 - 03/20/20 02:07 PM Re: Galway Girl [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Nice job Gary ... sounds like your voice has recovered pretty well ... good for you ...

#492227 - 03/20/20 02:40 PM Re: Galway Girl [Re: DonM]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By DonM
"Cajun" music often has accordions, maybe harmonica and fiddles, but it's more about the FEEL than the instrumentation. Hard to explain. I'm in Cajun country and do a lot of the songs, but it's not the same as a real Cajun band.
....if you hear a song by an authentic Cajun band, you KNOW what it is.
smile

I thought I'd highlight that in case a certain member missed it. Probably didn't miss it. He must have realized you blew holes in his theory that you don't have to grow up with the instrument to play it authentically.

#492228 - 03/20/20 02:51 PM Re: Galway Girl [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks guys for taking time to listen and comment. Just being able to sing again has been a real high-point in my life.

Love ya all,

Gary cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online