Dnj Offline

Advantages vs arrangers,...
Pros,Cons..

Thoughts ?

Edited by Dnj (06/16/20 06:10 AM)

#498799 - 06/16/20 01:58 AM Re: Yamaha Sx arrangers vs Modx6 [Re: Dnj]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Modx is a synth for creative individuals so no easy play backings. (You have to put the work in but you can become an individual that people can recognise)
An arranger is an easy play keyboard where you can press a button and everything is done for you. (You pretty much end up sounding the same as every other arranger player, which means that while people recognise the keyboard the player gets little recognition (Although if you sing it can help)

Bill

#498801 - 06/16/20 04:02 AM Re: Yamaha Sx arrangers vs Modx6 [Re: abacus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By abacus
Modx is a synth for creative individuals so no easy play backings. (You have to put the work in but you can become an individual that people can recognise)
An arranger is an easy play keyboard where you can press a button and everything is done for you. (You pretty much end up sounding the same as every other arranger player, which means that while people recognise the keyboard the player gets little recognition (Although if you sing it can help)

Bill

Bill that is a great assessment that many arranger players don't recognize playing only styles. Yes an arranger kb style play etc,is the easy way out to make music vs the creativeness and originality of using a sequencer and patterns etc..
I'd love to hear the experiences from people that have owned and played both units .. I also never hear whole songs beginning to end on something like the Modx confused1

Edited by Dnj (06/16/20 06:25 AM)

#498803 - 06/16/20 04:09 AM Re: Yamaha Sx arrangers vs Modx6 [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By abacus

Bill

There is great backings...
And lots of freedom..

It works different then a style..
But yet the same.
There is no intros and endings..
But you can create them..

So what you do is layer arpeggio’s..
For example you can layer a base, a drum, 2 guitars and some percussion, on your left hand... inside a scene..
There are 8 scenes.. a scene can be intro or ending or variation.
The scene can als switch your normal keyboard sounds..

There are 10.000 arps in the modx.. and room for 8 x 256 user aprs.( which is a limiting factor if you plan to translate style tracks from yamahs styles into arps

Whats also different is the genres of the arps.. they are more modern on average..

But if you want the modx to operate like an arranger then you can with a lot of work..

With upgrade 2.0 there also is a modern sequencer inside, which woks kind of like ableton live,.. its called a pattern sequencer... its a bit like ableton live..

Another limitation towards the psr keyboards
- only 16 part multitimbral
- 4 of those parts have no dsp

To make it work like an arranger is lots of hard work..
But it can be done...

The easiest way to make the modx work like an arranger however is add an arranger module.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#498806 - 06/16/20 04:14 AM Re: Yamaha Sx arrangers vs Modx6 [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Bachus all good information....my question is not to make it like an arranger but to point out the differences in creating songs instead of playing live repetitive style play using both keyboards. I still lean towards an arranger but with many changes in the parts for my needs. Why are we always addicted to Styles when there are so many other ways to create music.?

Edited by Dnj (06/16/20 05:50 AM)

#498810 - 06/16/20 06:12 AM Re: Yamaha Sx arrangers vs Modx6 [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Bachus all good information....my question is not to make it like an arranger but to point out the differences in creating songs instead of playing live repetitive style play using both keyboards. I still lean towards an arranger but with many changes in the parts for my needs. Why are we always addicted to Styles when there are so many other ways to create music.?

For creating songs, yamaha advises a daw with both genos and modx...

The sequencers in both instruments altough very different in nature are mostly meant as backing tools..

If you want to have true creative power, choose a daw. The modx is better suited as a daw controller then psr keyboards

http://keyszone.boards.net

#498812 - 06/16/20 06:19 AM Re: Yamaha Sx arrangers vs Modx6 [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus
Originally Posted By Dnj

For creating songs, yamaha advises a daw with both genos and modx...

The sequencers in both instruments altough very different in nature are mostly meant as backing tools..

If you want to have true creative power, choose a daw. The modx is better suited as a daw controller then psr keyboards

I never mix the two ....
my DAW and controller KB is one thing arranger another..
no need to mix the two

#498816 - 06/16/20 07:25 AM Re: Yamaha Sx arrangers vs Modx6 [Re: Dnj]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Does the Modx6 have "chord following" arps like the Motif XS? Sorry, I don't know the proper name for them. But I'm pretty sure the Motif had some implementation of "chord intelligence" (although it isn't clearly documented in the manual.)

Also, isn't the Modx6 well downscale from the Motif, Montage, etc.? Can it do ANYTHING that the Motif XS cannot do?

Apologize for all the questions. I'm new to the synth world, trying to learn if something like this would be of any use to my playing style. Thanks!

#498818 - 06/16/20 07:30 AM Re: Yamaha Sx arrangers vs Modx6 [Re: TedS]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By TedS
Does the Modx6 have "chord following" arps like the Motif XS? Sorry, I don't know the proper name for them. But I'm pretty sure the Motif had some implementation of "chord intelligence" (although it isn't clearly documented in the manual.)

Also, isn't the Modx6 well downscale from the Motif, Montage, etc.? Can it do ANYTHING that the Motif XS cannot do?

Apologize for all the questions. I'm new to the synth world, trying to learn if something like this would be of any use to my playing style. Thanks!

Edited by Dnj (06/17/20 04:42 AM)

#498819 - 06/16/20 07:37 AM Re: Yamaha Sx arrangers vs Modx6 etc, [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
"I never mix the two ....
my DAW and controller KB is one thing arranger another..
no need to mix the two"

Maybe you will find this fact soon smile

The best possible combination is a good arranger keyboard as a controller for your DAW.. To not "mix them" is foolish grin

Use the arranger as a faster way to get a jump start on any project..

Eliminate the "workstation" mentality , You can do "so much more" in "so many ways".... smile

You can use the VST's in the DAW, add your loops etc, but put down the bulk of the work via the arranger.. (don't forget to use a good arranger) grin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online