Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#50813 - 07/21/06 05:57 PM Re: Spline Labeling
technicsplayer Offline

ever seen movie dvds in the shops?

#50814 - 07/22/06 03:44 AM Re: Spline Labeling
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Have a look here and you will see a huge variety of DVD and CD cases : http://www.meritline.com/cd-dvd-case-cases-jewel-slim-double-dual-portable.html

In UK, DVDs are normally supplied in the 'Standard' case - may be different in USA........... Many DVD cases also have a slightly different center retaining device, to those found in CD cases. This puts less strain on the disk, during extraction from the case. Just pressing down on the center retainer will release the disk, instead of having to 'lever' the disk out as in the CD case.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#50815 - 07/22/06 06:33 AM Re: Spline Labeling
Fran D Offline

Loc: Aiken, SC, USA
Thank you gentlemen,

This was a great learning exercise. I never realized there were so many storage types. The standard DVD case is used in the U. S.

Unfortunately my storage cabinet drawers were sized for Cd's so I will have to use the label-er.

Fran in SC

#50816 - 07/22/06 07:42 AM Re: Spline Labeling
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks, Alec and thank you Willum for the link.

I must admit that I don't buy DVD movies. When I want to see a movie, I order it on DISH Network by punching in on my remote control and it is charged to my phone service. The wonders of technology!

It seems to me, in Fran's case that you could just use the templates of a standard CD and with a paper cutter, cut off the spline edges since the thin cases are without. This would be your front label. Design any further info needed on a new template, cut it as the front label and place it in back of the front label. It will slide into the slots with no problem. When you open the case, you will see the info. My Nero design package will print out exactly the size to fit the case so there is no need to take a corner and drag and drop to the correct size. What I am saying is purely for Fran's particular situation since he only has room for standard CD cases.

While we are on the subject of CDs and DVDs, what are your thoughts on this new technology called, (I think) Blue-ray? Sony has come out with it, at the same time movies are now starting to come out on HD DVDs. A new laptop that I have my eye on that came out in June records HD DVDs and has a screen (17") to support it. It has surround sound with state of the art speakers and 200GB. This is a laptop! Again, the wonders of technology. Anyway, do you think this Blue Ray will lose out to the HD DVD technology? I think most people will not be anxious to move away from the CD format unless this technology works with CDs. We all remember how Sony died with Bata vs. VHS format.

Scott

#50817 - 07/22/06 07:58 AM Re: Spline Labeling
Fran D Offline

Scott,

The tab you refer to is the index that appears on the edge of the case when filed. This will not work on the thin Cd case as that portion is single sided.

I have a DVD R/W, Double Layer holding 8.5 gb. and may be my last media recording purchase. I said this many times over the years and then I get hooked on the latest technology when it becomes reasonably priced. Have not studied Blue Ray after I saw the intro price.

Fran in SC

#50818 - 07/22/06 08:04 AM Re: Spline Labeling
technicsplayer Offline

cd cases are 5x5.5in and dvd cases are 7.5x5.5in. Even though data dvds are sold in cd cases they remain described as "cd cases" when sold alone and not dvd cases.

I think Blu-ray has little future at the moment. Not enough people are signed up to it, the first recorder on the market cost $1000 and had a hardware fault in the Genesis chip that reduced picture quality to around standard dvd, so huge embarrassment all round. Also Sony is launching HDTV camcorders in Japan which does not look like a great vote of confidence in their own rival, incompatible system

#50819 - 07/22/06 08:42 AM Re: Spline Labeling
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Fran,

I guess we are on different wavelengths. I said the edges would be cut off because of the thin case having no index edge. Your template would not be a full fold for your front and back of a standard CD. Actually, I have not seen a template designed that way. What I was saying is that you would cut to the exact size of the thin case of the front of your design. Place it in the case and then design another one with added information if needed and cut to the same size and place it in back of the front design. I'm not talking about the BACK of the case, just inside, right next to the front cover. With the thin case, there is no way to have an index tab, as well as no way to put any info on the very back of the thin case. It will all have to be done in the front slot of the thin case. I hope this is understandable.

Scott

#50820 - 07/22/06 03:56 PM Re: Spline Labeling
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hi Folks,

I guess most of you have heard of AVERY LABELS and that is all I use. Avery supply almost every label you can think of including CD/DVD Jewel Case Insert Cards - Code No.J8432 and CD/DVD Labels - Code No.J8676. Firstly, all you do is log on to their website and download the software which is FREE. This will put the Avery logo on your desktop (which I've moved to Word as I use their envelopes and address labels mostly in correspondence).

Click on this logo and their WIZARD will pop up, then just follow the instructions. Their website address is: www.europe.avery.com

TIP: when you've finally got the label or inserts exactly as you want them, save each as a document TEMPLATE then you will have instant access to a perfect setup every time without having to go through the Wizard again

Hope this helps

Aud (U.K.).

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 07-22-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 07-22-2006).]

#50821 - 07/23/06 04:38 AM Re: Spline Labeling
Fran D Offline

Scott,

I think you are missing the point. Making inserts is simple, not any problem at all.

Putting 40 Cd/DVD cases, standing on edge, into a drawer without some sort of index makes it difficult to find anything. I am labeling the spine with a Tape Label-er. Thanks for your input.

Audrey,

While serving as president of a PC User Group I had an Avery representative make a presentation of their products. Included in there samples was there software for making labels. Since then, like you, I have downloaded their software. It is an excellent program. I am presently using it to make name tags for our March "Florida Keyboard Convention".

Any forum member that makes labels should try this free download.

Fran in SC

#50822 - 07/23/06 09:15 AM Re: Spline Labeling
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Thanks for your message Fran. You are very welcome but I wonder whether you have tried their Jewel Case Inserts for CD & DVDs - Code No. J8432. These are sold over here in packs of 25 and are designed to be typed and printed. The only thing I have to do is use the TEXT DIRECTION on the spines so that whichever way they are filed, you can read their Title. I now have over 200 of my own CDs all typed up and colour coded to differentiate whether they are for my piano, keyboard or just for friends. Like everything else, it's simple "when you know how" and I'll be the first to admit, I made many mistakes before I mastered the art of CD Inserts and Label Making.

For my CD Labels I also use FELLOWES NEATO MEDIAFACE. This is available as a Beginners Pack which comes with a gadget that enables you to precisely stick your chosen label directly on to the CD. You have the choice of using normal (with large centre hole) or to use a Core Label which just leaves the spindle hole of the CD. This comes with accompanying card sheets of two CD labels, two Core Labels and four Spine Labels. Packs of these cards can then be purchased as and when needed. There is a software CD in the Beginners Pack also which will put a Beginners Wizard on your PC to get you started and then allow you to go on to the Advance stage, but I have to say I find the Wizard is more than adequate because it allows you to insert your own pictures for the label from 'My Pictures' or 'Microsoft downloads', build up your own Projects and files and even gives you three choices as to which way your printed text is displayed i.e: centre, top & bottom etc. The first pack cost me £14.99 and subsequent packs of CD Inserts are cheaper but vary in price depending on where you make your purchase.

I'm not sure whether my scanner is working (I spent last week decorating my music/PC room - yes! in all that heat) but I could try to send you a scanned picture of the actual Cards if you like, or you might be able to view them on their websites. The addresses are:-
www.fellowes.com or www.neato.co.uk

This might be just what you are looking for.

Aud (U.K.)

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 07-23-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Audrey Turner (edited 07-23-2006).]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online