SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#50803 - 07/20/06 09:28 AM Spline Labeling
Fran D Offline

Loc: Aiken, SC, USA
I am converting my DVD cases to compact 1/4" to save storage space. Is there any method of labeling the 1/4" spline other than using a Brother P-Touch Label'er? If I remember correctly, Alec, you made reference to this.

Fran in SC

#50804 - 07/20/06 01:05 PM Re: Spline Labeling
technicsplayer Offline

Hi Fran,
I use Microsoft Publisher but you could just as well use Word for print out. For backups I download the original cover as a high res jpeg, crop it into 3 pieces in a photo editor, then just insert the front, spine, and back into a prepared template that prints out correct full size on A4 to fit the transparent plastic when the edges are trimmed. The photos are simply corner dragged to the correct size to fit the 3 template rectangles. Since the spine is approx half width you just corner drag so the height is correct then drag the outside edge inwards to fit. The vast majority of spine titles are still quite readable, and box set graphics still match and line up in proportion such as the "007 Luger" on the 20 disk special edition spines.
For my own movies I use the same template with a simple 90 degree rotated text box spine, white on black background (more readable at a distance), and stills from the movie as cover or montage with text overlay on front and back.
The final quality virtually exclusively depends on how much you want to pay for the print paper to be indistinguishable from an original.

#50805 - 07/20/06 05:55 PM Re: Spline Labeling
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Fran,

Don't you have software that came with your CD/DVD burner? Years ago, I bought a very cheap burner (after rebate, I paid $14. for it) and with it came a program called Nero Express. They have the whole set-up for designing standard CD boxes, CD labels or the thin cases. You can print them out on standard paper, cut where they tell you to and you're done.

Scott

#50806 - 07/21/06 03:40 AM Re: Spline Labeling
technicsplayer Offline

unfortunately Nero cover designer only has a template for normal DVD cases, not the thin cases that Fran requires.

#50807 - 07/21/06 03:47 AM Re: Spline Labeling
Fran D Offline

Alec and Scott,
"Since the spine is approx half width you just corner drag so the height is correct then drag the outside edge inwards to fit."

I have several CD/DVD Cover programs including Avery Products. I have no problem with the art work. No trouble with the standard 3/8" spine case. The case I now have is 1/4" spine that is open in the rear so you cannot use the regular fold up edge insert. Maybe there are 1/4" case's that are made like the standard. I will have to check the stores.

Thanks for your replies.

Fran in SC

#50808 - 07/21/06 04:02 AM Re: Spline Labeling
technicsplayer Offline

yes, that would be different design. The DVD cases I've used for several years are identical to the full size type with regard to the inlay arrangement and thus require a one piece cover to wrap around front/spine/back.

#50809 - 07/21/06 06:52 AM Re: Spline Labeling
Fran D Offline

Alec,

Just returned from our electronics supply store and the only slim Jewel Case available is the open type I have.

If I use a 1/2" label with the Brother Label Maker it wraps around the edge and makes a very secure label for the narrow edge.

Fran in SC

#50810 - 07/21/06 08:34 AM Re: Spline Labeling
nsr007 Offline

Technicsplayer,

I don't know what Nero you are referring to but my Nero has the thin as well. I said so in my reply. I do thin case designs all the time. It also has a template to do the mini as well as the standard case, CD label and thin case.

Scott

#50811 - 07/21/06 09:07 AM Re: Spline Labeling
technicsplayer Offline

we were talking about DVD cases, my Nero cover designer has thin and mini CD case etc templates too.

#50812 - 07/21/06 04:26 PM Re: Spline Labeling
nsr007 Offline

Well, I have learned something new for the day. I thought DVD cases (standard) were the same size as standard CD cases. Why are they different? You record and play DVDs and CDs on the same recorder/player. Please explain the difference in the cases.

Scott

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online