SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#50906 - 09/24/02 01:13 PM Drum SOUNDS (samples) on KN-7000
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Although there have been many comments about the various improvements and new sounds (samples) on the KN-7000, I don't believe I have seen comments about the drum sounds (samples). I have listed to many of the demo and MP3 files around, and for the most part the drums seem to sound very similar to KN-6000 drums.

Wondering of there have been improvements to the drum sounds to give them a more "live" feel, a crisper/brighter sounds (esp. for cymbals?) Although the KN-5000 and 6000 drums are decent, I have always found the Korg and Yamaha machines I've heard, to have (to my ears) better sounding drums . . .

Comments?

Jim

#50907 - 09/24/02 08:00 PM Re: Drum SOUNDS (samples) on KN-7000
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Jim,
Check out the KN7000 Demo file on the mp3 page of www.kool-keys.com. See what you think.

#50908 - 09/25/02 01:23 AM Re: Drum SOUNDS (samples) on KN-7000
technicsplayer Offline

there are more live kits on 7000, but they are not as 'hyped' as on some other boards. One man's 'natural' sound is another man's 'cd production' sound, I suppose. There are various ways to tweak to your taste from assigning dsps to copying to user drums and editing the attacks and eqs for more impact. You can adjust the global reverb just for the drums now, which can thicken a dryer sound for accompaniments. I guess it depends how far the drums are up your list of priorities compared with all the other factors.

#50909 - 09/25/02 06:42 AM Re: Drum SOUNDS (samples) on KN-7000
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Put my vote down as a big NO WAY for the kn drum sounds. I was very disapointed.

#50910 - 09/25/02 01:02 PM Re: Drum SOUNDS (samples) on KN-7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Sorry, can't agree with you Dave and I'm primarily a drummer - Just my opinion.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#50911 - 09/25/02 01:34 PM Re: Drum SOUNDS (samples) on KN-7000
StevenB Offline

Bill,

Since you're a drummer, I'd like to know how you rate the KN-7000 vs. the other high-end arrangers?

#50912 - 09/25/02 02:19 PM Re: Drum SOUNDS (samples) on KN-7000
Frank Bez Offline

Loc: Avila Beach, CA, U.S.A.
Well, as much as I admire Uncle Dave as a musician, I feel differently about the new Live Drums sounds on the 7K. Having played drums in a small symphony for several years I think the new drums are terrific. However, it really doesn’t matter what UD or I think. The bottom line is if the drums work for each individual player’s needs. That is why I put the demo of piano, drums and strings together so that those people who can’t get their hands on the 7K right now can have a little preview. Of course the mp3 can’t fully reproduce the sounds coming live from the board, but this completely dry sequence should bring you a clue of what to expect.

#50913 - 09/26/02 08:09 AM Re: Drum SOUNDS (samples) on KN-7000
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Blend, blend and blend. How do things blend with one another. That is for the most part the key to success in any endeavor. The artist that has the ability to blend colors with his drawing skill becomes successful. Glen Miller was an artist using his reed section to blend a sound with the band, even desired to be emulated to this very day. Some bands have enjoyed some success with always bringing to the fore a particular instrument such as drums or a horn but the most enduring sound is the one that blends. Lawrence Belch is one that comes to mind as well as Miller. Both dead for quite a while but still being played and enjoyed even now. I have for over forty years among other things played with our seven piece dance band in the Chicago land area. Always trying to bled together and being tight with our orchestrations is what resulted in more work than we desired. This is one of the qualities I look for in choosing an arranger keyboard. About a dozen or so years ago we disbanded our group because of age and I chose to continue playing solo gigs using an arranger board. Started with a Rolands and gyrated to my present board, a KN7000. I chose Technics a while back because of ease of operation and the overall quality of sounds and rhythm styles I had become used to. The overall blend suited me just fine. If I need a little more drums, bass or whatever I can adjust it on the fly. No sweat!! For now this is for me. If, in the future, I hear a better product to my taste I will again change in the flicker of an eye lid. My customers do that to me and I totally agree with that. It’s a free country and I like that. I say all this to say, because the thread is about drum sounds, that they blend with the rest of the band just fine for my taste and the people I play for. If people like Buddy Rich in your face type of sound then go for it with my blessing. Of course, who am I? Who cares except my family, only some of my friends and a few of my customers. And this is how I look at the drums relevant to the band. Just another opinion on the subject of drums and their presence in the overall picture offered to the public’s eardrums. I have to admit however, this generations ear drums have more than likely been updated just as the style of music has evolved. But thanks for letting me RAP with you guys for a while.

Grandpa Doug

#50914 - 09/26/02 11:56 AM Re: Drum SOUNDS (samples) on KN-7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
In answer to StevenB's question, I cannot make a valid comparison between the KN7000 drums and any other manufacturer's sounds, since I have not heard any other Hi-End arranger keyboards. Having said that, I am still of the opinion that the KN7000 kits are exceptional and the sounds very realistic. As Doug says, if you want more, or less, or even a variation of the supplied sounds, there is almost limitless opportunity to 'Tweak' to your heart's content.
One Happy fella.....

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#50915 - 09/26/02 10:12 PM Re: Drum SOUNDS (samples) on KN-7000
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Drum sounds are just as subjective as any others and you will find lots of opinions on this topic. For my money .... the drums have to really please me, because I rely on the auto stuff much less than the average arranger buyer. I need the drums to sizzle and punch. The 7000 just doesn't excite me. It's nice, but it's not what I need.

#50916 - 09/26/02 10:21 PM Re: Drum SOUNDS (samples) on KN-7000
Douglas Dean Offline

StevenB,

Uncle Dave said and I Quote: “Put my vote down as a big NO WAY for the kn drum sounds. I was very disapointed.”

Bill Norrie said and I Quote: “Sorry, can't agree with you Dave and I'm primarily a drummer - Just my opinion.”

The next event Steve, is you read these two statements and wonder what's going on. As far as we know Dave is very successful at what he does. He sings and accompanies himself on the keyboard. I guess he plays the bass also. When playing the keyboard I guess he is a one or two finger chord player. As a bass player he likes to play the base line on his board as far as I can determine from what he writes. This is not the way most of us arranger keyboard players do it. He buys and plays what works out the best for his style of doing things. He tried out the new KN with a buddy of his for a couple of hours. Technics has a different way of triggering chords with one or two fingers. He don’t like the method. If you don’t like it you don’t like it. Each to his own. Also the method of playing a baseline on the KN was different from what he was used to. So what? Play what you like. Something about the drums he doesn't care for also. If I didn’t like these things I would not play that board either. I’ve got to give him credit. Why? He knows what he likes and is not swayed by the opinion of others. If he thinks he would like something because of somebody's opinion he will go try it out live, in person and make a determination, good or bad and live by it, not rely on others choices and opinions. I like a man that can think for himself and be self confident.

Willum strikes me to be of the same quality. As a drummer he has the guts to stand up for his evaluation of them. Willium says it straight as he sees it: Quote “I am still of the opinion that the KN7000 kits are exceptional and the sounds very realistic.” Dave likes what he hears and puts his money where his ears are. Willum likes what he hears and puts his money where his ears are. And in my opinion that is what everybody should do. Before doing anything, do what you do before crossing the railroad tracks. Stop, Look and Listen. When things are clear in your own head then move. Only a blind man should cross the tracks on others advice.

As you well know I have my own method of choosing what I like. I, like you, like to read how others go about choosing things but in the end I like what I like and whether Ruthie likes it or not I buy what I like. Of course Ruthie can buy what she likes but don’t come crawling back to me complaining some big shot on the radio said it was good but as it turned out it was crap.

So far most think the drums are excellent and only one wouldn’t take them if you gave them to him. You figure.

Some think I’m an idiot but so what, I like myself and like Popeye used to say, I yam what I yam because I yam what I yam. Steve, what do you play and how do you like it compared to others.

Grandpa Doug

#50917 - 09/27/02 07:03 AM Re: Drum SOUNDS (samples) on KN-7000
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Maybe some of the difference on "drum" opinions has to do with the type of music played and the particular market addressed. To me, someone playing dance tunes with a floor full of patrons might like an in-your-face sound where the beat kicks you right in the chest, or elsewhere. Home players might prefer the drums way in the background. I recorded a client one time who said he'd like the drums so faint that one might have to imagine that the drums were even present!

#50918 - 09/27/02 07:22 AM Re: Drum SOUNDS (samples) on KN-7000
StevenB Offline

Grandpa Doug,

Thanks for your post.

I play the kn6500. I like the way it sounds better than any of the other arrangers I've heard and played, which include the PA-80, 9000pro and VA-7. I've never tried or heard the Ketron or GEM models. I can't seem to find any in my neck of the woods.
However, I'm not married to Technics and I always keep an open mind.
I've spent about an hour on the KN-7000 and I liked what I heard. If not for the Yamaha Tyros, which I would really like to hear live, I would've already upgraded to the 7000.

#50919 - 09/27/02 12:21 PM Re: Drum SOUNDS (samples) on KN-7000
Douglas Dean Offline

That a boy Steve,

Get what you like and let the rest of em waller in indecision and doubt. Ruthie picked me and never looked back. Don't really understand it but can't complain one little bit. Always got clean underware in the drawer and supper on the table when I get home. Plenty of kids and I'm happy.

Grandpa Doug

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online