SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#52518 - 03/05/02 01:06 PM Re: sticky button...AND...Auto Play sensitivity?
runner50 Offline

Loc: Geneva
Chuck:

This will be the warmest, least snow on record if March is anything like it started out to be. This am was the coldest we've had this winter (8) but by tomorrow, it will be 45...weekend...in the 50's. Go figure.
Chuck, are you are a musician? Me be a solo guy!!

#52519 - 03/05/02 01:37 PM Re: sticky button...AND...Auto Play sensitivity?
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Mike,

First, as Bob Hendershot says, using Left Hold is another option you have in your attempt to eliminate "gaps" or "hesitations" between chord changes and it works very well in some applications. Experiment with it.

Am I a musician? Yes, but not as a vocation. I began playing the trombone at age 7, studied the instrument for many years and played in marching bands, concert bands, and with the Los Angeles Junior Symphony Orchestra. My fascination with keyboards began in the 1980s while working in Saudi Arabia. I've been taking lessons since last October and am progressing nicely. I have a KN6000 (upgraded to a 6500) and it is a wonderful instrument in my opinion. I can even play the trombone again! Glad to hear you are having a warm winter. I remember working outside on fighters at Griffis AFB when the temperature was 30 degrees below zero. That's cold!

Great talkin' to you, Mike. If you have any other questions, just ask. OK? Take care.

Chuck

#52520 - 03/05/02 02:10 PM Re: sticky button...AND...Auto Play sensitivity?
runner50 Offline

Chuck...what do you mean by this?
Remember I have a 3000
First, as Bob Hendershot says, using Left Hold is another option you have in your attempt to eliminate "gaps" or "hesitations" between chord changes and it works very well in some applications. Experiment with it.

#52521 - 03/05/02 02:31 PM Re: sticky button...AND...Auto Play sensitivity?
technicsplayer Offline

there are 2 different functions here.

left hold keeps whatever left voice you have chosen going when you lift your fingers off the keys.

apc memory keeps the automatic accompaniment going while you lift your fingers off the keys.

for left hold to work you need apc memory on in the first place.

with apc memory on there should be no glitches in the accompaniment when changing chords, apart from those when mis-timing chord changes?

#52522 - 03/05/02 03:49 PM Re: sticky button...AND...Auto Play sensitivity?
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Mike and Alec.

First, let me say "thank you" to you, Alec, for sharing your expertise with all of us. I, for one, have learned a great deal from you. You are without doubt an "expert" in the truest sense of that word when it comes to Technics keyboards and indeed a host of other electronic gear and all of us are very fortunate to have you as a friend on these forums.

Mike, I am not familiar with the KN3000, but I am assuming you have similar APC options as those on the KN5000/6000/6500. As Alec points out, you have two separate functions here. First, you have the fundamental APC MEMORY function which keeps the auto rhythm and accompaniment voices playing even if you are not playing a single note or chord with the left hand. Second, you have a LEFT HOLD selection which will sustain the voice you programmed into the LEFT voice in the Conductor section if LEFT HOLD is set to "ON". Setting it to "ON" eliminates any gap between chord changes.

Alec, I know I have just repeated what you said above, but said it slightly differently in the hope that between us, Mike finds an answer to his query.

Take care guys, Chuck

#52523 - 03/05/02 04:53 PM Re: sticky button...AND...Auto Play sensitivity?
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
There is a discussion of the Left Hold function at page 114 of the KN3000 owners manual. Depending on how you use APC, this function can have differing effects. Alec and Chuck are right, this is different from the APC memory function.

#52524 - 03/05/02 06:11 PM Re: sticky button...AND...Auto Play sensitivity?
runner50 Offline

Hey guys...

Thanks for getting all back to me on this Left Hold stuff. Now I tried it both ways...on and off and I cant tell the difference. What is the default setting? an where might I change it so that is always on?

#52525 - 03/05/02 06:25 PM Re: sticky button...AND...Auto Play sensitivity?
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Press the sound button to get the sound menu. I believe the Left Hold selection is at the bottom left of the display. See page 114 for the matrix of options. I am not certain if this setting is contained in the .LSW file on the KN3000 when you load from or save to a disk. I don't have a KN3000.

[This message has been edited by Bob Hendershot (edited 03-05-2002).]

#52526 - 03/05/02 11:04 PM Re: sticky button...AND...Auto Play sensitivity?
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
If you have the sound from a guitar or piano as left instrumentsound,
then it's not easy to hear any difference.
Select organ or strings, see that the volume for that part is not too
low, then you should hear when the left hold is "on", because when your
fingers leave the keys, the organ or strings will continue to hold the
played chord as long as the APC button is on.
If you don't start the rhythm, you'll still have the left chord playing
until you turn off the APC, or start and stop the rhythm.
GJ

[This message has been edited by Gunnar Jonny (edited 03-05-2002).]
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#52527 - 03/06/02 02:45 AM Re: sticky button...AND...Auto Play sensitivity?
technicsplayer Offline

aw Chuck, you embarrass me thank you.

hi runner, "for left hold to work you need apc memory on in the first place."
you obviously also need the left conductor on.

hi Bob, left hold on the 3000 can be saved in panel memory, I seem to remember. I'm sure I had sequences with left hold in panel memory on the 3000? But it's getting to be a long time ago now...

runner: to have it always on just make a setup file with left hold on and load it every time you switch on. base your work on that setup from then on for that session...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online