SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#53267 - 02/27/06 06:07 AM Lap top & KN6000
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I think I have asked this question before, but not sure if I got a response ...
Does anyone here use a laptop to 'drive' their kn6ooo? ... I am looking to use a laptop to store midi files and technics files and perhaps mp3 files (?) and play them through the kn6000, hopefully eliminating virtually ALL downtime between songs during a gig ...
Can anyone provide info as to how this might be done?
t.

#53268 - 02/27/06 07:47 AM Re: Lap top & KN6000
technicsplayer Offline

basically not in the way envisaged. With the HX6 hard drive I used a laptop for backup and drive loading and housekeeping, but downtime was minimised by using the HX6 not the laptop.

You could use the 6k as glorified speakers playing mp3s and midis (but not technics files) from the laptop (basically as a kind of DJ) but this naturally limits live auto accomp playing unless you use windows midi programs to load into and play along with, and then there remain dependability, speed of loading and setup questions, and sound quality issues compared to loading technics files. To use a laptop on stage I would have only the operating system (with all superfluous functions disabled or removed) and the music program(s) required loaded and nothing else on a dedicated machine for maximum reliability.

#53269 - 02/27/06 09:12 AM Re: Lap top & KN6000
tony mads usa Offline

Alec ... thank you ... If I use the laptop, it would be dedicated for that purpose only, that is, just to store the midi/mp3 files, and play them through the kn6 ...
I also use the HD SX-6 drive, but find there is too much lag time between ending one song an'loading' and playing the next ...
I have taken many midi files (used as 'backing tracks' for both playing and singing) and 'tweaked' them (changed voices, volumes, effects) and converted them (during 'SAVE') to technics format ...
I think you are saying that there is no way for me to store them in 'technics format' on the laptop and play them back? (So if I wanted to use them from the laptop I would have to 'SAVE' them again in SMF format?)
Also, I have saved a lot of 'set-ups'/registrations (styles/voices/tempos/) stored in Panel Memory and saved by the song title they are used for ... Would I not be able to store and utilize them on a laptop ? ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 02-27-2006).]

#53270 - 02/27/06 12:18 PM Re: Lap top & KN6000
technicsplayer Offline

I thought 2 seconds was about the maximum lag for normal loads on the HX6 and if you use custom scripts you could set both auto load next song and auto start on songs? You could always put more than one song in the sequencer?

The problem with midis is the sounds are not as good, especially from a laptop sound card or even a normal gs or xg soft synth, in my opinion. You could save nx midis and thus utilise the 6k voices if the midi setup is done properly. Panel memories are technics proprietary features and have no equivalence in midi files.

#53271 - 02/28/06 05:18 AM Re: Lap top & KN6000
tony mads usa Offline

Alec ... I will have to time it ... the load certainly seems longer than that, especially when people are on the dance floor ...

I always save the midis as nx ... Hopefully, the midi set up instructions are in your "How Do I.." book?

I realize the PMs have no equivalence in midi files, (although I have 'Saved' midi files in technics format and saved PMs along with them to facilitate going from a midi to accompaniment mode more quickly) ... I was just wondering if it is possible to save the registrations and PMs and have them load from a lap top?
thnx for all your help ...
t.

#53272 - 02/28/06 06:32 AM Re: Lap top & KN6000
technicsplayer Offline

technics format is proprietary, you can't load seq or panel memories from the laptop, and anyway it would probably be slower at midi transfer speeds. You can play midis, but would have had to save all the panel memory changes within the midi file track by track. Midi is a universal transfer format, not an easy play format.

Lag suggestions off the top of my head?
Call up the next song in the screen ready to load while the ending plays?
Only save required files instead of full performance saves to minimise load times?
Put seven or eight songs into one sequencer for auto medley play, virtually zero lag?
Use auto load and auto play on the HX6?
Remove empty measures at the end of a song for auto load since they just waste time before the end command? - this was covered in the 6k book etc.

#53273 - 02/28/06 07:11 AM Re: Lap top & KN6000
tony mads usa Offline

Alec ... Thanks again for your help ... I will keep these tips in mind, AND, dig out the books ...
t.

#53274 - 02/28/06 11:51 AM Re: Lap top & KN6000
technicsplayer Offline

very welcome

#53275 - 02/28/06 12:33 PM Re: Lap top & KN6000
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Tony,

As far as MP3 files go, an MP3 player connected to the line input of the KN is an alternative to the laptop. It won't play MIDI files of course but I would have thought these could be handled by the KN.

Cheers
Len C.

#53276 - 02/28/06 06:47 PM Re: Lap top & KN6000
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Tony, I am using my laptop and the VanBasco program to play my midi files. The program is so friendly ?I can control pitch, volume and tempo and save it to a play list and make as many play lists as I want. It makes things simple. The sound is not as good so I am using an EQ and a BBE to enhance the sound. The lyric display is much larger.

I tried playing audio with my KN7 and decided it was too much work so I use CD in my laptop. I am using my KN7 just for Technics files, panel memories, ect. My laptop is plugged into my KN7 (Line in) I also use my laptop for all my written music and lyrics. It?s a trade-off, I lose a little sound to gain simplicity.

The EQ and BBE do a lot for the sound of my KN7.

John C.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online