SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#54604 - 01/22/07 06:46 AM Re: kn7000 commits suicide - or was it murder??
technicsplayer Offline

Formatting in the 7k is not necessary, just safer if using older disks, a pc format will be just as good, make it full rather than quick.
Unfortunately upgrading from 1.3 required that software table 1.4 (disks 3 and 4) went in before disks 1 and 2, the 1.6 update.
I shall mail you 2 disks as an experiment with my own self extractors. Using known good floppies CHECK the download disks and then make and CHECK mine.
Install download disks 3 and 4, then install my 2 disks, then install download disks 1 and 2.
No guarantees, and at your own risk as always mentioned in these threads, but it's worth trying.

#54605 - 02/11/07 07:55 AM Re: kn7000 commits suicide - or was it murder??
jd5live Offline

Loc: Bilston , West Midlands,Englan...
Hi Been following your troubles and very interested how you have got on after Alec's last post??. Hope you are doing well regards JOHN.

#54606 - 02/12/07 06:56 AM Re: kn7000 commits suicide - or was it murder??
katrina Offline

Loc: Colchester, UK
You mention in your initial post that your computer had become corrupted with spyware. Is it possible that it (or something else) is still on your computer and has affected the download?

(My own normal (hidden) computer partition is non-functioning at the moment - ironically, after running an antispyware programme which has conflicted with the notorious Norton antivirus. Hoping my brother will come up and fix it !)

Good luck!

#54607 - 02/15/07 05:38 AM Re: kn7000 commits suicide - or was it murder??
ochre aka ogre Offline

Loc: UK
Hi,
This is just a quickie so say beenb trying to reply but my broadband connection keeps failing. Trying again while it seems to be ok at the moment.

Peter

#54608 - 02/15/07 06:02 AM Re: kn7000 commits suicide - or was it murder??
ochre aka ogre Offline

Well that one worked so here goes.

Sadly Alec's disks failed to kickstart the kn into life so after failing to find local dealerswho could fix it I contacted what was left of Technics at Panasonic, Bracknell who said they hadn't the facilities to repair it but gave me the name/phone number of someone who may be able to help. Technics mentioned that I may need a new motherboard, eproms etc and so did the prospective repairer. When I enquired about likely cost of all this - sharp intake of breath- and can't possibly say until we see it (understandable I s'pose) but if it's beyond repair it's seems it might be a bit expensive just to find this to be the case.
Am also pondering that with a now obsolete keyboard, and a disappeared provider of spares whether reluctantly go for another make, perhaps a Tyros 2 ?

I suppose the lesson behind all this is avoid all updates unless provided by the maker..
Peter

#54609 - 02/15/07 06:34 AM Re: kn7000 commits suicide - or was it murder??
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Sorry to hear that it is still not working.
I am however still suspicious that there may be a fault with the Floppy Drive, is there any other way to load the data in?
Most manufactures usually use standard PC Floppy Drives in their instruments, (Although some have their own custom versions) with new ones costing between £5-10 it may be worth swapping it just to see.
I notice from your profile that you are in the UK, are you anywhere near Torbay? As I have a working Floppy Drive from my old computers which could be dropped into the KN to test the theory, before buying a new one.
Hope this helps

Bill

#54610 - 02/15/07 06:37 AM Re: kn7000 commits suicide - or was it murder??
gerr58 Offline

Loc: bristol, uk
Dont know where you are but if in the uk
have you tried http://www.wdgreenhill.com/

#54611 - 02/15/07 07:17 AM Re: kn7000 commits suicide - or was it murder??
technicsplayer Offline

Since EMID ceased trading in 2004 and at the time it was stated publicly that component support was promised for 7 years from product introduction which for the 7k would have been 2002 (I believe this is probably European Union law) it would seem they are remiss in no longer having the equipment or skill to effect a re-flash. I would certainly press that point with them.

#54612 - 02/15/07 09:32 AM Re: kn7000 commits suicide - or was it murder??
ochre aka ogre Offline

Doubt that the floppy is at fault Bill. The only time the kn shows signs of life is when going thru the update procedure when the screen shows the checking process and then updates.

Looks like a useful site which may well come in handy. Thanks Gerry.

And finally Technics Player - I'll give them a shout and will let you know the response.

Nice to have friends.......

Peter

#54613 - 02/16/07 06:03 AM Re: kn7000 commits suicide - or was it murder??
ochre aka ogre Offline

Well, man at Technics/Panasonic he say, yes, promise was made that Panasonics would support Technics keyboards for the period quoted but is not obliged to do this under European Law. The promise is being kept by referring requests for repairs to W.D.Greenhill and Co. who have a chain of service engineers.
I would personally have preferred to have the work done by Technics themselves but I suppose that as recommended by Technics the firm should be OK work and price wise. For anyone needing work done the contact (in UK) is Bill Greenhill, 01702 546195. Forgot to thank you for your kind offer Bill. I have a separate floppy drive on my laptop and could use this as suggested.

Peter.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online