SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#55536 - 12/11/05 07:36 PM KN6000/KN6500 vs. KN7000
nsr007 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Guys,

Well, I finally got my KN7000 back from being converted from a UK power model to a US model. It ended up costing much more than estimated and I advise STRONGLY to not undertake this procedure should you even think of doing so. The technician had a sweet time removing the UK power supply, plus he had to change another board and change several fuses and a decorative piece replaced in the back plus a new US power cord. Can you believe, Panasonic charged $15.89 for a two-bit cord - SHAMEFUL! There was a long wait for certain parts. Anyway, it is as if it came out of a US factory - it performs well. Buying it from the UK and having it for awhile until I found someone to convert it, I was only able to look at it frustratingly and not able to play it. Now that I am able to play it, I find a few changes from the KN6000 that I had upgraded to a KN6500. I noticed that they did away with the Sound Controller - you know, that fat knob you could twist around all day and the sound never got any better. I never bothered with it anyway after playing with it a few times. So far, I find it odd that the things I recorded in Sequencer don't come up in the Panel Memories I recorded in - they come up in either Panel Memory A or B. I haven't figured out why, yet. Actually, that is probably a very good feature. This way, if you have changed your Panel Memories, 1 - 10 after doing sequencing, they won't be changed when bringing up a sequenced song. I also see that they have a button for EW expansion, which the KN6000 didn't have. I think the sound is a bit better and probably, due to speaker placement only for they seem to be the same wattage as the KN6000. I was somewhat disappointed in where things are from where they are on the KN6000. I am speaking of the Stop/Start, Fade in/Fade out, the Transpose and Techi-chord and Solo buttons. On the KN6000, they are close to the keys, which is important for quick changes. I especially don't like the clock Panel Memory. I have gotten fairly used to everything but the circular Panel Memories - I DON'T LIKE THEM. I would much prefer them spread out as they have been in former KN boards. I suppose in time I will get used to them. It gets confusing when you get past 4 or 5 as to where you are for changes. I have checked out most of the features but haven't had time to go near the SD card feature. At the moment, I am somewhat intimidated and will have to learn the best way of saving files and especially using this versatile feature with the computer. It looks like I will be asking questions for all you 'know it alls.' I say that fondly and with a big grin.

I think the only big advantage of the KN7000 over the KN6000/KN6500 is the SD card feature. This, in itself, is a huge advantage for its versatility and file saving. I look forward to the many happy hours playing and performing with my new toy.

#55537 - 12/12/05 04:47 AM Re: KN6000/KN6500 vs. KN7000
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Given a little time and learning period you will note want to go back to the KN6000. You will get used to the panel memory wheel, I did not like it either. My feelings, although not good grammer is, It's more of a complete instrument.

John C.

#55538 - 12/12/05 08:23 AM Re: KN6000/KN6500 vs. KN7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I don't know if you take your KN out on gigs or not, but surely it would have been easier and less expensive to buy an external transformer unit, to convert the US 110/115volt supply, to 230/240volt required by the UK Keyboard ?
These devices are available from many sources : for example
http://quick220.com/catalog/--_top_level_--_257962_products.htm

Maybe it's a case of being wise after the event ??

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 12-12-2005).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#55539 - 12/12/05 08:46 AM Re: KN6000/KN6500 vs. KN7000
nsr007 Offline

Nooooooooooooooo, Willum!!! Much thought went into this. I was quite aware of using a power converter. No way was I going to have that 6 to 15 pound puppy sitting to the side of my keyboard. Under the circumstances, I would do it all over, again - especially, since there are no guarantees one is going to be available in the US. As things are, there have been a few listed on eBay, lately. Also, there have been several fraud cases reported. One, is a seller's ID being stolen. By the way, they have been going for quite a bit - $2,500. and more. Presently, a KN6500 is well over $1,800.

#55540 - 12/12/05 09:31 AM Re: KN6000/KN6500 vs. KN7000
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Did you look at the item in the link ? From the spec page : WEIGHT: 3 pounds, Approximately 6-1/2 inches x 5 inches x 3 inches and this is form a USA supplier in Phoenix. US$ 130 or with plug type adapter kit US$138

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#55541 - 12/12/05 10:13 AM Re: KN6000/KN6500 vs. KN7000
nsr007 Offline

Yes, Willum but it is a $138. and 3 pound wart, which ain't cheap, tied to my hip that I don't want. Before I bought this UK model, I spoke with a technician that gave me the go ahead on buying it and said that it would most likely be a case where there would be 4 wires coming from the power supply and it was a matter of finding the two right ones to tie off. As it turned out from a Panasonic authorized service man, there was only one large wire coming out of the power supply. Anyway, Sir, I am glad it is all behind me. The keyboard is as brand new, with little use and flawless.

#55542 - 12/12/05 12:05 PM Re: KN6000/KN6500 vs. KN7000
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
I agree that the layout of Panel Memory buttons etc. on the KN6000/6500 was better but I guess that was part of the trade off in having a hinged top which gives you better protection for transport etc. I tend to use a footswitch to increment panel memories as well as for other programmed changes.
Apart from the SD card the other features of the 7000 which I particularly appreciate are the organ voices, 128 note polyphony, and the USB interface.
Incidentally for file manipulation on the SD card, Fred Mellink's SD explorer is well worth the money.

Cheers
Len C.

#55543 - 12/12/05 12:25 PM Re: KN6000/KN6500 vs. KN7000
nsr007 Offline

Hi Len,

Thanks for your input regarding the advantages of the KN7000. Regarding the 128 note polyphony, has anyone found it odd that using the strings in Bossanova 1 in Latin World, they fade out and stop playing if you change chords very often. If you play just one chord through a measure, it seems OK but changing harmonies within that measure, they fade away completely. This sounds like not enough note polyphony and that certainly can't be the case with 128. The style doesn't involve that many instruments to cause this. I hope it isn't my keyboard in this case. As I said, playing simple harmonies and not changing too often, there isn't a problem. I would be interested in knowing if others have experienced this. If this was done on purpose (I don't know why) it would be interesting to know how they did it. Not that I want to do it.

#55544 - 12/12/05 05:57 PM Re: KN6000/KN6500 vs. KN7000
technicsplayer Offline

absolutely nothing to do with polyphony, everything to do with a choice by the programmer appropriate for the style. The string pad has been played each measure in a melody chord follow mode, thus changing chords within the measure requires a wait for the next measure for the strings to come back in. Transfer the style to the composer, clear the track, play the strings with the same notes held down for the four measures of the pattern in a chord mode, and changing chords within the pattern will produce no pauses in the string sound but will be more bland subjectively.

#55545 - 12/12/05 07:58 PM Re: KN6000/KN6500 vs. KN7000
nsr007 Offline

Hi Technicsplayer,

You have a theory but in reality, strings don't fade away because there is a harmonic change. It just isn't natural. The way this sounds, it sounds like a bad radio station that fades in and out from a weak signal. This is one of the reasons I don't normally use pre-set rhythms because they aren't well done. I took time to go through the whole gamut of these styles, mainly to see what wasn't in the KN6000/KN6500 - not much new or for that matter, good. I appreciate the instrument for what can be accomplished if one has the talent and know-how to get the most out of it. I clearly have a lot to learn on it and am always learning with an open mind. I will no doubt be asking a lot of questions about different things as I go along. So far, the operation is much like the preceding models, which is good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online