SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#58108 - 06/14/02 12:55 AM Re: Klez VIrus Alert!!!
technicsplayer Offline

sadly, all true...

#58109 - 06/14/02 01:50 PM Re: Klez VIrus Alert!!!
hbinfo Offline

Loc: ST-Nicolas,Que,Canada
HI Every members Me too I receive 2 virus Bur Norton fixe these virus Hopping that these virus woill stop.I dowmload Adaware but it dont work Have a nice day and congradulation to Bill Forest for is great work Howard

#58110 - 06/14/02 02:23 PM Re: Klez VIrus Alert!!!
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
It is a great pity that the guys who write these viruses cannot turn their undoubted talents to more constructive pursuits.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#58111 - 06/15/02 07:03 PM Re: Klez VIrus Alert!!!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I have wondered that myself Bill. But nowadays you don't even have much knowledge to write a virus. Most virus engines are now available for download so most of the work has already been done for them.

#58112 - 06/16/02 09:05 AM Re: Klez VIrus Alert!!!
technicsplayer Offline

you do hear rumours that some who are caught and not publicly charged (unlike like the high profile love bug guy) because details of just how easy it is to get through some windows back doors is too embarrasing for bill gates - get unofficial consultant type roles, paid to try and hack into systems.

#58113 - 06/16/02 01:37 PM Re: Klez VIrus Alert!!!
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
a cynical view might be that some providers of anti virus progammes, hire or encourage people to write the viruses in order to keep their sales high ??

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 06-16-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 06-16-2002).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#58114 - 06/16/02 02:37 PM Re: Klez VIrus Alert!!!
technicsplayer Offline

hmm... it is a lucrative business...

remember the year 2000 that was going to crash all our systems, and the hype and money spent on programs and consultants to check something that never ended up happening?

#58115 - 06/16/02 06:48 PM Re: Klez VIrus Alert!!!
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
I am still getting 3 or 4 Klez virus attempts every day. My protection software is catching them safely, but it illustrates the fact that the virus is still in one or more computers probably in our forum circle. I hope all of you on the forums will verify that your antivirus software is updated often. It is a result of unprotected machines that these vicious attacks are spread.

#58116 - 06/17/02 01:52 AM Re: Klez VIrus Alert!!!
technicsplayer Offline

I get it too, every couple of days - just goes straight in the bin.

To repeat my previous instructions, download
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixKlez.com

from symantec (only takes a second).
If you have ME or XP switch off system restore, and for other windows any other Go Back type products.

Boot up in safe mode (hit F8 before windows starts)

go to where you have saved fixklez.com and double click it.

when it finishes, re-boot, and un-install and re-install your anti-virus product from scratch, and go online to update your definitions. As I read it, if you do not re-install your anti-virus the clean up may be unsuccessful. Then re-enable your system restore for ME or XP.

since klez attempts to attack anti-virus products and disable its database entries, it may be safer to do this than rely entirely on your anti-virus product, the info is sketchy here, maybe because norton wants it to be sketchy?

all the info is available at all the good anti-virus sites.

Since it came from bebops address book, everyone in bebops address book should do something, otherwise it may go around those addresses for ever...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online