SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#59426 - 12/07/05 01:34 AM PSR to Technics style converter?
sturgeon Offline

Hi All,

This is my first post here. I have become the proud owner of a KN2600 after much searching, and some research, which informed me that a KN2600 is the only keyboard that meets all of my requirements. (KN7000 would do also but its too heavy).

I have some style files from a Yamaha PSR620 that I would like to use and wondered if there is any way of converting these to Technics format - other than recording them as audio and saving to SD?

This seems like a nice place, but has a slight air of impending doom about it, so i thought I would make an observation.

Every time someone sells their Technics keyboard to buy a Tyros 2 or whatever, it creates an opportunity for someone like me to become a Technics owner. This situation is likely to continue for a very long time. A place that I work has a Technics digital piano dating from 1992. It is in use 5 days a week and is often hammered. It works perfectly and has never needed repair. Stradivarius violins are nearly as reliable I understand. From my recent experience, the price of some Technics boards could start to emulate the Strad! A year ago I could have bought a new KN2600 for a fair bit less than I paid for mine, and that was £220 less than one I just missed from a keyboard showroom. They seem to be snapped up like hot cakes. You couldn't part me from mine for all the tea in Tottenham - I couldn't replace it.

Great sounds, terrific build quality, more features than you can shake a stick at and SD audio!

I am very happy! Be of good cheer!

What we do need however, is a very fine Technics instrument restorer. Does anyone Know of one? Maybe the instruments are so reliable he/she wouldn't get much work.

Sorry to rant!

Cheers,

s.

#59427 - 12/07/05 02:30 AM Re: PSR to Technics style converter?
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Hi Sturgeon
Welcome to our friendly little group. You are quite right in your observation of a buying opportunity being created. I don't know if I would quite agree with your doomsday theory, although there is always more buzz when new keyboards come out.

We all lament the fact that Technics won't be coming out with a new model, but should not deter us from keeping this forum alive and vibrant by exchanging ideas,music, and commraderie.

Bernie

#59428 - 12/07/05 06:52 AM Re: PSR to Technics style converter?
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hiya Sturgeon - do I spot a Londoner with mentions of Tottenham?
If you want your Yamaha PSR style files converted I would be happy to oblige a few (say 3 ) at a time...
Best wishes
Rog
RMepstead@btinternet.com

#59429 - 12/07/05 02:16 PM Re: PSR to Technics style converter?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Bernie,
have to agree with you on that one.

I was dumb enough to sell my KN7 about 18 months ago. At that stage I no longer had the time to spend on it ( personal reasons). I should have just put it in it's box & left it. Instead I sold it.
Now that everythings nearly back to normal, I wish I still had it.
Sometimes wonder if the people dashing out to trade their KN's in, might regret it in the long run.
I may have the oppotunity of picking up a KN2600. Have to wait & see how I go.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
We all lament the fact that Technics won't be coming out with a new model, but should not deter us from keeping this forum alive and vibrant by exchanging ideas,music, and commraderie.

Bernie

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#59430 - 12/08/05 04:55 AM Re: PSR to Technics style converter?
sturgeon Offline

Hi Rog,

Quote "Hiya Sturgeon - do I spot a Londoner with mentions of Tottenham?
If you want your Yamaha PSR style files converted I would be happy to oblige a few (say 3 ) at a time...
Best wishes
Rog
RMepstead@btinternet.com"

That is incredibly kind of you, but there are a lot of them and I really couldn't impose! How would you do it though? I may have to take a look at them in a Hex. editor, or just stop being lazy and play them again. Some will end up as audio, because I can remaster them on the way. A little compression and HF stimulation will work wonders!

You were right with the London connection.

Cheers,

s.

#59431 - 12/15/05 08:00 AM Re: PSR to Technics style converter?
RMepstead Offline

Hiya S.
How do I do it...
A rather nice programme called EMC Styleworks with which I have converted around 70 - 80% of the style files I use on gigs from Yamaha originals to Technics so I've probably got most of what you're looking for anyway in KN7000 format.
Rog
p.s. How is London these days I moved away about 30 years ago from Stoke Newington down to Wiltshire and very rarely get the chance to come back.

#59432 - 12/17/05 12:37 AM Re: PSR to Technics style converter?
sturgeon Offline

Hi Rog,

I am in darkest Hants these days and don't get to the smoke very often either.

Your prog. sounds good but problem solved anyway, I recorded the lot as audio. Its amazing how much you can fit on a 512MB SD card!

I think the SD card audio feature will keep the kn7000 and kn2600 fresh. If you want to sound like the latest synth (hardware or software) or have backing vocals, record it as audio, stick it on a SD card and play along with it. The options are endless.

Superb!

Cheers,

s.

#59433 - 12/17/05 02:16 AM Re: PSR to Technics style converter?
RMepstead Offline

Yes piles of space on a 512mb but I'm going to try 1 GIG sd Card next and put all my eggs in one basket both disco and live...
Rog

#59434 - 12/17/05 03:20 AM Re: PSR to Technics style converter?
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Make sure you back-up your 1GB card Rog !!
Drop your basket and all your eggs GONE

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#59435 - 12/17/05 10:39 AM Re: PSR to Technics style converter?
sturgeon Offline

Hi Rog and Bill,

Good points!

Is there an upper size limit for SD cards that the kn7000 and kn2600 can access? (Just looking forward to cheap 2gig cards - ever the optimist).

Thinking about backing up, is there a quick way to back up a whole card? I bought SD Explorer but it only deals with the MIDI stuff. I suppose I have all the original audio so its not a big problem, but a backup card would be good.

Cheers,

s.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online