SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#59475 - 11/11/03 09:44 AM NEED PC UPGRADE HELP...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... I am about to embark on what I expect might be a long arduous journey into a PC upgrade... I am actually looking to replace my dinosaur with a new model... I would like the capability of backing up my midi files, style registrations, etc. which currently reside on the HD in my kn6000 ... I would also like to record myself (playing and singing) onto a CD which I could then circulate to anyone who might want to give a listen and critique ....
I guess I would also want MP3 capability ( I have NO experience in this area)... and ultimately would like to create my own web page ...
DELL is currently running a sale starting at $500.00 US for what I would guess is a base unit ...
What should I be looking to get for my purpose as outlined above?
thnx in advance ....
t.

#59476 - 11/11/03 01:11 PM Re: NEED PC UPGRADE HELP...
technicsplayer Offline

Practically any latest base unit would be suitable for the tasks you describe with the proviso you don't wish to multitrack more than stereo cd quality at one time, and that you may wish a better quality sound card than supplied since still recording the 6000 through analogue in, but in terms of power would be enough.

If you want the latest graphics capability for photoshop editing from multi megapixel cameras, or my own current interest of video authoring, editing and recording of DV and DVD creation and copying then a more powerful machine is definitely required - also if you want to progress to the real time sample players from hard drive, staying in the music area.

Whatever you buy it's out of date in 6 months

#59477 - 11/12/03 05:02 AM Re: NEED PC UPGRADE HELP...
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
[QUOTE}Whatever you buy it's out of date in 6 months [/B][/QUOTE]

Would you believe six DAYS?!

#59478 - 11/12/03 09:09 AM Re: NEED PC UPGRADE HELP...
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
One of the tips if you have bought a computer is: don't look the other day for a period never again to the computerprices or you will totally be frustated that your computer has decreased for a big amount in such a short time
Cees

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Rose:
[QUOTE}Whatever you buy it's out of date in 6 months

Would you believe six DAYS?!

[/B][/QUOTE]

#59479 - 11/13/03 12:53 AM Re: NEED PC UPGRADE HELP...
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Hi Tony

You have just listed the things you would like your new computer to do.

Why not take this list to a dealer who builds PCs to specific requirements and see what they suggest, price etc., You would have more success is getting something that matches what you require.

Good luck with whichever method you choose.

Joan

#59480 - 11/13/03 08:22 AM Re: NEED PC UPGRADE HELP...
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Tony,
A word of caution here. Buying a Branded stock computer full of offshore componenets is a loose loose deal. When, not if you get a failure in a year or less you will find a replacement unavailable or at an outrageous price.
Build your own computer or have a local tech put it together using on shore pieces.
A good example is a compaq mother board that fails in a year is 400.00 plus another 80.00 for trouble shooting and about 100.00 to install it. 600.00 to fix a 1000.00 computer, so it will last another few months. Just doesn't add up.
If you are going to buy computers built of offshore components plan on replacing it once a year on average
Bebop

#59481 - 11/13/03 11:25 AM Re: NEED PC UPGRADE HELP...
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Tony,

Bebop's advice is sound advice. In the past I bought off-the-shelf systems (Packard-Bell) and learned the hard way that they leave a lot to be desired. They come with pre-loaded software, some of which you don't want or will never use but which you pay for nevertheless. You will find software titles you want, especially those related to recording music which you will have to pay for separately. Sound systems are basic as are the CD writers/players. But I think the biggest drawback is loss of flexibility (choice) and the inevitable expense when repairs are needed. Most off-the-shelf-systems have the sound cards, graphics cards, modems etc. physically mounted on the motherboard, thus making it very expensive to fix them if they fail. And very importantly, you cannot upgrade to a better sound or graphics card. If you have a system hand-built for you, you just remove the cover and replace a sound card or whatever fails and you are back in business. And if you want to upgrade it is as easy as ABC. Just remove the cover, plug in the new card and you are up and running.

My son is a computer whiz and built the system I am using at the moment. I've had it for nearly five years. I'm running Windows 98 with a 400 MHz microprocessor which will tell anyone that my system is "old" when compared to the super fast microprocessors available today. My system has performed flawlessly. But I am ready to upgrade now and have had a talk with my son about building a new system for me. We have talked about microprocessors, hard drives, sound cards, graphics cards, CDs, scanners, and printers, and have come up with a ballpark figure for a system that will give me "top of the range" performance in terms of processing speed, sound and graphics, the three main concerns for me.

I suggest you would be wise to follow the advice of some here and find someone you can trust to build a system for you rather than buying one off the shelf. In doing so, you can tailor your system to your needs in terms of sound, graphics, software, and CD playing/writing capability. And don't forget to include USB ports as part of your planning.

If you wish, I will have my son suggest some hardware options for you to consider. They will parallel my preferences in some cases since you and I have the same keyboard. You will need the correct software to backup midi files and create MP3 files as well as making recordings. However, it is the hardware that puts quality into the sounds you record while playing and singing, so careful selection of a microphone, sound card and CD writer/re-writer is key to that end.

In the end, what you are willing to pay will determine the quality and capability of your machine.

Good luck with your choice.

Chuck

#59482 - 11/14/03 09:30 AM Re: NEED PC UPGRADE HELP...
tony mads usa Offline

Thank you all for your responses ... I knew I would get assistance here.... .....
My neice's husband is a computer guy by trade and my intent was to give him the feed back I had gotten and then take his advice on what components to get ... Of coursem the big problem (aside from budget ) is his availability, as it seems these guys are ALWAYS working!!!
thnx agn,
t.

#59483 - 11/18/03 09:16 AM Re: NEED PC UPGRADE HELP...
Leo's Den Offline

All sound advice. We are lucky enough to have a really good independent guy just down the road apiece in rural Devon (UK) who puts together systems that do just as much as you want, provides tech support and advice ad lib, and (O joy of joys) buys back your older computer or printer in part exchange! So we never feel that we have invested in immediately obsolete technology. It also means that things do what we want them to and not what the multiple retailers think we ought to want.

#59484 - 12/04/03 09:06 AM Re: NEED PC UPGRADE HELP...
tony mads usa Offline

We're getting closer..... My neice's husband is a computer guy and he is helping me with this.... BUT.. is there any specific sound card I should be looking for?
Also... does the kn6000 work well with any OS? ....
thnx,
t.

#59485 - 12/04/03 10:20 AM Re: NEED PC UPGRADE HELP...
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Depends what you want to do as far as audio and PC are concerned. Assuming you wish to eventually burn CDs from your KN performances, I would suggest one of the more upmarket Creative Labs SoundBlaster cards eg the Soundblaster Audigy. (Cost about $86US) Do a search on Google for soundblaster and you'll find lots of hits.
OS compatibility should not be a problem with the KN6000 since you will be connecting via the Line outputs of the KN to the Line inputs of the sound card. So as long as you have the correct drivers for the card, to suit your OS, the card should work OK. (Drivers are normally supplied with the card)
If you want the best possible results, then you could keep the sensitive analogue circuitry of the sound card outside the nasty, noisy, computer environment, by using a sound module, which connects to the PC via a USB link. There is a Soundblaster device which has this option but it may be more expensive.

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 12-04-2003).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#59486 - 12/04/03 11:24 AM Re: NEED PC UPGRADE HELP...
shcox Offline

Loc: Leesburg, FL USA
Hi Tony,

I guess it depends on what you want to do on the computer as to what sound card you buy. Only very expensive cards will give you anywhere close to the KN6000 sounds so I used my KN6000 (before I traded it for the PR54) as my sound card when I played midi songs.

As for Singing and Recording to MP3 I recomend PowerTracks from PG Music. It's only about $29 to $49 and it does quit a lot.

Best Wishes
Heather

I have a 16 Bit Sound Blaster Live Card which I find to be fine for the things I do. SoundBlaster makes better cards now like the 24 bit Audigy® series but unless you are going to hook the card to a home theater I don't believe the extra cost is worth it.

Just be certain to purchase the midi connections for the sound cards game port.

#59487 - 12/04/03 04:57 PM Re: NEED PC UPGRADE HELP...
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Tony, if you have a Best Buy close by, go to their Creation Station and they will price you out a computer built with your specs. You can get a lot of computer that way for around a grand or a little more.

#59488 - 12/06/03 12:05 PM Re: NEED PC UPGRADE HELP...
tony mads usa Offline

Thanks friends... I can always count on this site for advice....
t,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online